WBAunofficial
The World Cup - Ratings - Printable Version

+- WBAunofficial (http://www.wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAunofficial (http://www.wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: WBAunofficial (http://www.wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The World Cup - Ratings (/showthread.php?tid=16195)

Pages: 1 2

The World Cup - Ratings - Lurkerreborn - 07-12-2018

Pickford - 9 - Fantastic showing, it looks like we've found our GK for the next 3 WC's, which is a massive bonus. 

Walker - 7 - Showed fantastic pace, but too easily beaten in when it really counted last night. Overall he performed well int he majority of games and think he looks accomplished on the right of a back 3. 
Stones - 7 - Would have been an 8 or more, but once or twice he really lets himself down, and has done so during this tournament also. He is so close to being the perfect defender, but really needs to do it without the clangers. 
Maguire - 7.5 - Comes out of this with lots of credit in the bag. A big lad who really does stride out with purpose at times. His massive head also makes him a threat from set plays. 
Cahill - 6 - Only a couple of fleeting appearances. Could have maybe been used more when we were being over run as an extra experienced head. 

Trippier - 8 - The lad really has loved playing for his country. His graft was undeniable and his quality from dead balls was a huge asset. Struggled last night at times to contain the power of Redic and their other winger and got beat aerially quite a lot. Gets an extra 0.5 as my neighbour knows his family and I have had a drink with his uncle. 
Young - 6.5 - 1 great performance, but aside from that struggled to make an impact and didn't offer a great deal. Need better in both wing back positions if we really are to challenge regularly.
TAA - 6 - Good showing v Belgium, looks like he could develop into a really strong and effective RWB. But no overall impact on the tournament. 
Rose - 5.5 - Just not good enough. Seems to have lost his pace with the injuries and hasn't got the defensive qualities to play at full back. No impact on the occasions he was brought on. 

Henderson - 9 - What a tournament he has had. Lead by example and did the work of 2 at times. Really struggled with the pace after 55 mins last night as a result. 
Dier - 6 - Decent back on to Hendo, think hes better suited to the back 3. 
Loftus-Cheek - 6.5 - Couple of really decent cameos, and chronically underused in the last 2 games. We needed a fresh pair of legs in the middle in both games and Gareth overlooked him both times. Should have been used more, but that is perhaps a sign of the dearth of talent in that area. 
Delph - 6 - Not much of an impact in any of his appearances, see above, we need better. 
Lingard - 8 - Always looked for the ball, never hid and always put his graft in. Pick of the attacking midfielders. 
Alli - 6 - Really disappointed in Dele. I expected so much from him, but do not think he's suited to our system. If he is to play he needs to play closer to Kane, ala Sterling. Gets an extra .5 as he never stopped regardless of how off the pace he was. 

Sterling - 7.5 - Thought he brought so much to our game. He has the abulity to take the ball in tight areas, hold it up and also turn and run behind teams. Everytime he wasn't on the pitch you realised what he did give us which is teh sign of a good player.
Kane - 8 - Scored the goals we needed early on without ever appearing razor sharpwhich is the sign of a real goalscorer. Much more to come from the skipper.
Rashford - 6 - Poor on the occasions he came on. Not looking like the match winner we need.  
Vardy - 5.5 - Just not good enough unfortunately. Poor selection. 

Southgate - 8 - Very good showing from a PR perspective. I do however get frustrated with his persistence when things are not working. We NEED a plan B, and it must be a priority before the Euro campaign starts. However he has rekindled some passion for the national team and seems a real good guy. 

Moving forwards: 

- We really need to find our; Bale, Ronaldo, Messi, Modric, Mbappe etc. to give us an edge in tight games. 
- Southgate must learn to have a plan b, and stop being so stubborn in terms of shape. It brilliant having a philosophy and a way of playing, but you must have tactical flexibility. 
- We need the feel good factor to continue and flourish and to do this we must stick to this formula of hard work and humility, but add that ounce of quality and experience that gets you over the line.

RE: The World Cup - Ratings - Ted Maul - 07-12-2018

Struggling to disagree with that. Perhaps an extra midfielder capable of holding onto the ball a bit better. We seem to either play at 0mph or 100pmh. Agree r.e. Henderson, he was brilliant.

RE: The World Cup - Ratings - Peachy - 07-12-2018

Can't disagree with any of that Lurker. On the money with those scores.

Alli for me was a massive disappointment and simply wasn't fit. He seemed to lack energy too. I really wished Southgate had made the tough call to drop him and add the energy and drive of RLCheek. Alli's goal against Sweden after another mediocre showing kept him in the side and papered over the cracks that were evident.

That's my only real gripe with regards to Southgate in this tournament. I think he needed to freshen us up and stuck with players when energy levels dropped.

I really am nit picking though as he's done a wonderful job but it's the minute detail that makes the difference. I'm sure Southgate will have learned loads from this tournament and I'm genuinely optimistic for the next Euros and beyond.

The one thing we really lack is a Modric type creator and I'm hoping that Phil Foden will keep developing and become our genuine match winner.

RE: The World Cup - Ratings - SausEggBagel - 07-12-2018

Southgate: Needs to fug off the tactic of insisting on playing out from the back or going backwards to recycle possession instead of having the bollocks to take a player on. I had a suspicion from the first game that tactic would be our achilles and the place where we were most likely to get ourselves into trouble as it did on couple of occasions last night and Colombia. Other than that, Southgate deserves a lot of credit for gambling on and taking a bunch of kids where he could have chosen those with more experience, and getting them to the stage he did in the competition.

RE: The World Cup - Ratings - Ted Maul - 07-12-2018

(07-12-2018, 02:45 PM)SausEggBagel Wrote: Southgate: Needs to fug off the tactic of insisting on playing out from the back or going backwards to recycle possession instead of having the bollocks to take a player on. I had a suspicion from the first game that tactic would be our achilles and the place where we were most likely to get ourselves into trouble as it did on couple of occasions last night and Colombia. Other than that, Southgate deserves a lot of credit for gambling on and taking a bunch of kids where he could have chosen those with more experience, and getting them to the stage he did in the competition.

Keeping the ball was the main factor in Croatia beating us last night. We were good with the ball all tournament barring a couple of errors. Pickford in particular did really well.

RE: The World Cup - Ratings - Beano16 - 07-12-2018

Not many could argue much with those marks, I thought before the tournament that Alli, Lingard and Sterling can
all be poor at protecting the ball and might not be the best set up, but Henderson's efforts helped overcome some
of their shortcomings. That said, whilst I respect Southgate being loyal to his starters, the last two games IMO
would have benefited from Loftus Cheeks drive and use of the ball given Alli's below par performance. Young also
surprised me up until last nights game, he had done well but perhaps the extra quality of Croatia found him out.

RE: The World Cup - Ratings - Dan_Kno - 07-12-2018

Trippier, Pickford and Henderson the pick of the bunch for me. Stones/Maguire not far behind them either.
Southgate really needs to make better use of his substitutions, RLC/Delph for Alli IMO should of been the first change as soon as they were coming back into the game last night for a bit of composure on the ball.

Although I'm a fan of 'not changing a winning side' I definitely feel Alli shouldn't of started last night due to the fact he's looked like he was carry a knock in every game he played.

RE: The World Cup - Ratings - B37Baggie - 07-12-2018

Get Phil Foden in the Man City side regular next season & he could be the kid to move us up another level.

Dare I say it Greaselish would also add something once he is playing for a better side.

RE: The World Cup - Ratings - Beano16 - 07-12-2018

(07-12-2018, 03:22 PM)B37Baggie Wrote: Dare I say it Greaselish would also add something once he is playing for a better side.

Aye, summat to throw the beer at ..

RE: The World Cup - Ratings - Ossian - 07-12-2018

(07-12-2018, 03:08 PM)Beano16 Wrote: Not many could argue much with those marks, I thought before the tournament that Alli, Lingard and Sterling can
all be poor at protecting the ball and might not be the best set up, but Henderson's efforts helped overcome some
of their shortcomings. That said, whilst I respect Southgate being loyal to his starters, the last two games IMO
would have benefited from Loftus Cheeks drive and use of the ball given Alli's below par performance. Young also
surprised me up until last nights game, he had done well but perhaps the extra quality of Croatia found him out.

If Sterling could just add a bit of composure to his game he would take our attacking threat up another couple of notches. 

He gets into good positions, sometimes creates them for himself; he's just lacking either the confidence, or possibly the experience, to remain calm and make the best choice.