WBAUnofficial
Footballers builds old and young - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Footballers builds old and young (/showthread.php?tid=16211)

Pages: 1 2 3

Footballers builds old and young - Spandaubaggie - 03-19-2021

In the reminiscing of the Middlesbrough 74 thread the photo of John Craggs shows how different players are now- a completely alien species.
I’d say players had a stone of weight or more in the 50s to 90s. I think Franny Lee. Maybe 5 7 or so and 12st. Now a guy of his height would be strapped to machines saying he has excess weight here there and everywhere.
I was at a game v Arsenal years back and right behind the dugout, as I had a shareholder seat. What surprised me is most players now are built like racehorses. They look gaunt and also in the positions where height matter they’ve got extremely tall players.
In the 70s we had many keepers and centre halves 5 10. Now we have heaps of 6 4 lads in those positions.
In all, I think it’s far more important to be an athlete now. They play on bowling greens and the rough and tumble of the hatchet men was for the ploughed fields of winter and bobbled sandy pitches of yesteryear. 
However, in those days the teams were so much more equal and isn’t that what sport is about?

RE: Footballers builds old and young - MrFizz - 03-19-2021

I would say up until the mid 00's. Before that players were definately bulkier. Not fat (well, maybe a few) but just built very differently to now. Strength and endurance was probably more important, whereas now it seems to be more about explosive pace and movement.

You look at centre-halves now and they are 'stringy'. 20yrs ago some of them had thighs wider than some of todays players torsos. Perhaps thats why they fall down so easy.

RE: Footballers builds old and young - Baggie_Nick - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 09:57 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: In the reminiscing of the Middlesbrough 74 thread the photo of John Craggs shows how different players are now- a completely alien species.
I’d say players had a stone of weight or more in the 50s to 90s. I think Franny Lee. Maybe 5 7 or so and 12st. Now a guy of his height would be strapped to machines saying he has excess weight here there and everywhere.
I was at a game v Arsenal years back and right behind the dugout, as I had a shareholder seat. What surprised me is most players now are built like racehorses. They look gaunt and also in the positions where height matter they’ve got extremely tall players.
In the 70s we had many keepers and centre halves 5 10. Now we have heaps of 6 4 lads in those positions.
In all, I think it’s far more important to be an athlete now. They play on bowling greens and the rough and tumble of the hatchet men was for the ploughed fields of winter and bobbled sandy pitches of yesteryear. 
However, in those days the teams were so much more equal and isn’t that what sport is about?

Nutrition and the science behind training has become paramount. Plus evolution, the human body has developed and changed.

Those days were about young lads being able to play sport alongside their day jobs and eating what they wanted to a drinking what they wanted to. Those days were far more romantic and we look back and enjoy.

I'm pretty sure that quite a few footballers are all body equal these days such is the regime of the professional game. I'd wager that the likes of Livermore, Grant etc are in great shape but fall down when it comes to ability or talent.

When I watch top level football I like to watch the best players so I expect to see top athletes.

RE: Footballers builds old and young - SW4Baggie - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 10:07 PM)MrFizz Wrote: I would say up until the mid 00's. Before that players were definately bulkier. Not fat (well, maybe a few) but just built very differently to now. Strength and endurance was probably more important, whereas now it seems to be more about explosive pace and movement.

You look at centre-halves now and they are 'stringy'. 20yrs ago some of them had thighs wider than some of todays players torsos. Perhaps thats why they fall down so easy.

Those stringy players would run rings round the tree trunk lads of the 70s and 80s though!

(03-19-2021, 10:07 PM)MrFizz Wrote: I would say up until the mid 00's. Before that players were definately bulkier. Not fat (well, maybe a few) but just built very differently to now. Strength and endurance was probably more important, whereas now it seems to be more about explosive pace and movement.

It was  in the days where players in certain positions didn't have to move too much.

Far better now. I'd much rather see a quick and able centre-half than some chunky, clumsy carthorse.

(03-19-2021, 10:09 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

Those stringy players would run rings round the tree trunk lads of the 70s and 80s though!

Yep.

Always amuse me the nostalgia of some claiming that the team of '66 would give anyone of the modern teams a good game.

I don't think they'd beat any current league team given the development of the game since.

That's not to take anything away from their achievement because they beat the team's they needed to beat at the time (thank you Russian linesman).

The game has moved on incredibly since. Watch the '66 final. The pace of the game etc. Completely different game.

RE: Footballers builds old and young - keef - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 09:57 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: In the reminiscing of the Middlesbrough 74 thread the photo of John Craggs shows how different players are now- a completely alien species.
thats bang mate
my grandson plays at a high level at football when we get back
and some scouts that have been watching him say they are obviously looking at  ability but  his athleticism is what is more   importent to them  he has a very strong natural upper body strength and is very quick and that was more important

RE: Footballers builds old and young - Spandaubaggie - 03-19-2021

I agree it’s a different game but what I resent is the inequality of the Prem through money.
Equally you can only be the best of your era given the eras limitations.
Give Laurie Cunningham the pitches and protection of now and he’d have played to 35 and people in every corner of the earth would know his name.

RE: Footballers builds old and young - backsidebaggie - 03-19-2021

Agreed Spandau. Also, the players then (if theoretically playing now) would have the modern training so they’d be able to cover the ground and with the speed of today’s players anyway.

(03-19-2021, 10:28 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote: Agreed Spandau. Also, the players then (if theoretically playing now) would have the modern training so they’d be able to cover the ground and with the speed of today’s players anyway.

And nutrition. And scientific advances regarding fitness etc. And regime. 

The modern day athlete on the whole is very different.

RE: Footballers builds old and young - MrFizz - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 10:09 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

Depends what 'rules' they are playing to i suppose. They might run one ring around someone like John Wile for instance, but next time they tried it they wouldn't be able to walk for a week after.

Playing to todays standards yes, modern players are fitter and quicker. Also better protected.