WBAUnofficial
RUGBY - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: RUGBY (/showthread.php?tid=16233)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: RUGBY - Jack Halford - 03-21-2021

(03-21-2021, 12:00 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: Just to let this rest, I have never lost a girlfriend to a rugger bugger....but believe what you will.
I quite like rugby league but am not a fan of union.
I understand that it is the peoples'game in Wales and parts of France.
I have Welsh mates who are truly passionate about it.
In Wales they come out of the mines to play it as opposed to the Range Rovers.

Sol, just try going to some of our wonderful local rugby clubs round Warwickshire, Solihull and there a a real mix of boys playing. Same as any cricket club round here.

Your class bias with Rugby is so blinkered.

(03-21-2021, 09:36 AM)Wayne The Baggie Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 09:31 AM):huh:Remi_Moses Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 09:28 AM)Wayne The Baggie Wrote: 14 fat blokes beat 15 fat blokes, an absolute shite excuse for a sport.

Wow that's a statement that could only be made from the safety of a web forum.

Huh

I'll tell anyone, 30 fat blokes if needed, Rugby is not a sport, no skill required, unless running and catching are skills.
There are lots of skills in rugby but you just keep your blinkered view.

RE: RUGBY - Brentbaggie - 03-21-2021

There are English and there are English. When my son played in a very good team in West London I remember an opposition (top team) coach pulling up and the players getting out followed by a stream of parents plus those arriving in cars. One of the mothers had her Labrador in tow and turned to a friend saying, "You know, I think this is the first really urban team we've played." The win was particularly satisfying.

I loved watching my son and his teammates play and I still enjoy watching international rugby on TV but on many of the occasions I've watched live games in this country - club and international - the enormous glut of red-faced, corduroy trousered, tweed jacketed utter bellends have made me feel quite sick.

RE: RUGBY - baggiebloke - 03-21-2021

(03-21-2021, 10:39 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote: There are English and there are English.  When my son played in a very good team in West London I remember an opposition (top team) coach pulling up and the players getting out followed by a stream of parents plus those arriving in cars.  One of the mothers had her Labrador in tow and turned to a friend saying, "You know, I think this is the first really urban team we've played."  The win was particularly satisfying.

I loved watching my son and his teammates play and I still enjoy watching international rugby on TV but on many of the occasions I've watched live games in this country - club and international -  the enormous glut of red-faced, corduroy trousered, tweed jacketed utter bellends have made me feel quite sick.

When I played school rugby one of the pre match (Saturday morning) jobs was to go in early to prepare the post match refreshments: orange squash, tea, and biscuits. 

When we went away (fee paying schools) the food that was presented to us was amazing - salmon, multiple meats, salads, the lot. 

For some of our lot I think those away games staved off malnutrition. 

And, for the record, we beat the lot of em.

RE: RUGBY - Remi_Moses - 03-21-2021

(03-21-2021, 11:17 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 10:39 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote: There are English and there are English.  When my son played in a very good team in West London I remember an opposition (top team) coach pulling up and the players getting out followed by a stream of parents plus those arriving in cars.  One of the mothers had her Labrador in tow and turned to a friend saying, "You know, I think this is the first really urban team we've played."  The win was particularly satisfying.

I loved watching my son and his teammates play and I still enjoy watching international rugby on TV but on many of the occasions I've watched live games in this country - club and international -  the enormous glut of red-faced, corduroy trousered, tweed jacketed utter bellends have made me feel quite sick.

When I played school rugby one of the pre match (Saturday morning) jobs was to go in early to prepare the post match refreshments: orange squash, tea, and biscuits. 

When we went away (fee paying schools) the food that was presented to us was amazing - salmon, multiple meats, salads, the lot. 

For some of our lot I think those away games staved off malnutrition. 

And, for the record, we beat the lot of em.

I remember when good old Stanley Victor told some English rugby players they were fat and rugby was not a real sport. Ended well in the Welsh chippy IIRC Big Grin

RE: RUGBY - Birdman1811 - 03-21-2021

What tactics are there in Cricket? Someone throws the ball at the batter, his job is to hit it as far as possible.

See, you can absurdly reduce any sport to being nonsense.

I know there's more to cricket than that by the way.

RE: RUGBY - Wayne The Baggie - 03-21-2021

Name escapes me at present, but some bloke who hurdled for GB wasn't all that, but he was fast. He went on to star in the 5 nations (as it was then) for Wales. A great example that if you can run and catch you can play Rugby at a 'high' standard.

And?

RE: RUGBY - Duffers - 03-21-2021

Can’t say I have a huge amount of love for either rugby or cricket. I understand the basics of both games well enough to follow when something massive is going on but not really fussed by either 99% of the time.

That said, the conclusion to the 2019 Cricket World Cup was one of the greatest moments of sporting theatre I’ve ever seen.

(03-21-2021, 01:25 PM)Duffers Wrote: Can’t say I have a huge amount of love for either rugby or cricket. I understand the basics of both games well enough to follow when something massive is going on but not really fussed by either 99% of the time.

That said, the conclusion to the 2019 Cricket World Cup was one of the greatest moments of sporting theatre I’ve ever seen.

Yeah that was genuinly exciting, thoroughly enjoyed that.

RE: RUGBY - Jack Halford - 03-21-2021

I used to love Saturdays of old as a kid watching football focus then Rugby League (with the great Eddie Waring commentating) followed by a bit of wrestling on World of Sport.