WBAUnofficial
Having some faith in the club - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Having some faith in the club (/showthread.php?tid=17739)

Having some faith in the club - Spandaubaggie - 05-20-2021

Social media generally has been full of fans spouting off that we don't know what we are doing as a club, in the light of Allardyce's resignation.

For some perspective, in the past 20 years since we returned from the darkness of the 86-02 period we have managed on every relegation to finish top 6 and get back within 2 seasons automatically. Tons of clubs of a similar size haven't.

It's because we've lived within our means and utilised our budgets well. The recruitment/scouting work etc continues and do you recall how late Bilic was appointed? Many were having fits, but he still came in and got us up automatically.

Lai has followed this careful model and despite being a owner who wants out, it has kept us competitive.

The change of manager always divides opinions. No one comes with a cast iron guarantee, as Allardyce's appointment showed. More thought will go into it than by all of us on here.

It's worth adding, in the modern cesspit of top tier football, probably over the last 20 years there's very few clubs of our size, with 25,000-30,000 crowds that have been as competitive as us at the top level. A few have had golden times, but now are entrenched in the Championship- think Stoke, Swansea, Blues, Middlesbrough. Many more have had abject times Forest, Ipswich, Sunderland, Sheff W.

In the Prem currently there are only 4 or 5 clubs of our stature who have survived, and we've often been one of them. They are all mid table, where we've been, with the exception of Leicester, who are the club we all wish we could be.

Relax, it's been a shit season, but there'll be new hope in August with a new boss and history show's we will be more than likely be up there as we are a well run club.

RE: Having some faith in the club - Tom Joad - 05-20-2021

Nothing is guaranteed. Many on here think it is a given we will bounce back up, no problem. We will be well fixed financially but many have spent badly (Stoke, Derby, Forest?). Not being negative, just realistic, I'll be there whatever.

RE: Having some faith in the club - wba13 - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 07:28 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: Nothing is guaranteed. Many on here think it is a given we will bounce back up, no problem. We will be well fixed financially but many have spent badly (Stoke, Derby, Forest?). Not being negative, just realistic, I'll be there whatever.

Both of your posts are good, we are well run and at present will not do a Sunderland, Derby, Bolton, Portsmouth or others. I think it’s good that they have asked Allardyce about presenting names for a new coach, as his knowledge will be invaluable for us, it also shows forward thinking. With a good coach and set up I believe we have a wonderful chance of promotion, who that coach to be is not for me to say as the people at the club have better knowledge of of coaches than anyone on a message board. As Tom said no matter what I will be there.

RE: Having some faith in the club - Spandaubaggie - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 07:54 AM)wba13 Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 07:28 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: Nothing is guaranteed. Many on here think it is a given we will bounce back up, no problem. We will be well fixed financially but many have spent badly (Stoke, Derby, Forest?). Not being negative, just realistic, I'll be there whatever.

Both of your posts are good, we are well run and at present will not do a Sunderland, Derby, Bolton, Portsmouth or others. I think it’s good that they have asked Allardyce about presenting names for a new coach, as his knowledge will be invaluable for us, it also shows forward thinking. With a good coach and set up I believe we have a wonderful chance of promotion, who that coach to be is not for me to say as the people at the club have better knowledge of of coaches than anyone on a message board. As Tom said no matter what I will be there.

Nothing is guaranteed as Tom said, but the past 20 years has shown us that we have to have a level of expectation. we will be one of the favourites and we have to live up to that tag.
Equally the 3 who went down last season could all end up going back up. Maybe Covid has widened the gap? Anyhow, we have a right to expect us to be up there, but football can throw curveballs at us. I'm looking forward to next season and knowing we are in an interesting division.