WBAUnofficial
Shan Solo - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Shan Solo (/showthread.php?tid=2958)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Shan Solo - Beano - 03-27-2019

(03-27-2019, 01:31 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-27-2019, 01:16 PM)billybassett Wrote: Whilst I'm sure Shan Solo is a very nice chap and good at his job this really does beggar belief. Perhaps it's just me but is this the biggest joke going?

This was the club statement when they sacked DM: “He took over at a very difficult time last season...{}. But we have made it clear from the outset that everything this season was geared to making as swift a return to the Premier League as possible. ..{}.. But we have to place the Club’s best interests at the forefront of our thinking and we must do everything we can to try to deliver the promotion we have targeted." 
What if the change brings about promotion? I’ve seen more sensible, pragmatic and organised tactics in the two matches than I did for most of the season under DM and GJ.

It may, but all Billy is pointing out is that given the statement and objective, it is not what most of us expected and such a
big roll of the dice at this stage.

Jenkins might well be proved a hero, lets hope that is the case but if we fall short then we will face many unknowns and
Jenkins will need a bigger tin hat

RE: Shan Solo - Derek Hardballs - 03-27-2019

(03-27-2019, 02:28 PM)Beano Wrote:
(03-27-2019, 01:16 PM)billybassett Wrote: Whilst I'm sure Shan Solo is a very nice chap and good at his job this really does beggar belief. Perhaps it's just me but is this the biggest joke going?

This was the club statement when they sacked DM: “He took over at a very difficult time last season...{}. But we have made it clear from the outset that everything this season was geared to making as swift a return to the Premier League as possible. ..{}.. But we have to place the Club’s best interests at the forefront of our thinking and we must do everything we can to try to deliver the promotion we have targeted." 
What if the change brings about promotion? I’ve seen more sensible, pragmatic and organised tactics in the two matches than I did for most of the season under DM and GJ.

It may, but all Billy is pointing out is that given the statement and objective, it is not what most of us expected and such a

Jenkins might well be proved a hero, lets hope that is the case but if we fall short then we will face many unknowns and

I get that but there was no guarantee with DM or another either that promotion was anymore certain. Arguably it was looking increasingly unlikely that promotion was on the cards under DM and GJ.

RE: Shan Solo - ElbowGrease1973 - 03-27-2019

I'm with Billy on this.

Sure Shan has done a good job, but he's managed 2 games. Are we really in a position where we entrust someone with 2 games management experience to get us over the line and promoted to the Prem? It's a huge gamble, but rather than £1,000 on red it's a 1p stake. It will be increasingly difficult to get promoted after this season, and we're trying to do it as cheaply as is absolutely possible. If it comes off, it will be an absolute blinder, and I'll take my hat off to Jenkins. If it doesn't then I fear there will be repercussions felt in the short, medium and longer term.

RE: Shan Solo - billybassett - 03-27-2019

(03-27-2019, 03:14 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

I get that but there was no guarantee with DM or another either that promotion was anymore certain. Arguably it was looking increasingly unlikely that promotion was on the cards under DM and GJ.

So of all the potential managerial options available to us at short notice Shan is the best option to ensure promotion?

RE: Shan Solo - Derek Hardballs - 03-27-2019

(03-27-2019, 04:04 PM)billybassett Wrote:

So of all the potential managerial options available to us at short notice Shan is the best option to ensure promotion?

At short notice perhaps he is as we have no idea if others were prepared to come. I like everyone else imagined we had someone in place but clearly we either didn’t or the deal collapsed. We are where we are now and surely backing the manager we have is preferable to pissing and moaning about things? It’s not ideal but neither were the tactics and results before his predessors left.  

I doubt that Shan is any worse a coach as DM or GJ that’s just a hunch.

RE: Shan Solo - Tom Joad - 03-27-2019

(03-27-2019, 03:58 PM)ElbowGrease1973 Wrote: I'm with Billy on this.

Sure Shan has done a good job, but he's managed 2 games. Are we really in a position where we entrust someone with 2 games management experience to get us over the line and promoted to the Prem? It's a huge gamble, but rather than £1,000 on red it's a 1p stake. It will be increasingly difficult to get promoted after this season, and we're trying to do it as cheaply as is absolutely possible. If it comes off, it will be an absolute blinder, and I'll take my hat off to Jenkins. If it doesn't then I fear there will be repercussions felt in the short, medium and longer term.

I tend to agree. Who knows, maybe Shan was offered some names as assistants and declined? Maybe we have someone lined up at the end of the season? (That I doubt).  
  All in all, I suspect that contrary to what has been said, as a club, we actually haven't done all we can to get promotion.

RE: Shan Solo - billybassett - 03-27-2019

(03-27-2019, 05:43 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-27-2019, 01:31 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: What if the change brings about promotion? I’ve seen more sensible, pragmatic and organised tactics in the two matches than I did for most of the season under DM and GJ.

At short notice perhaps he is as we have no idea if others were prepared to come. I like everyone else imagined we had someone in place but clearly we either didn’t or the deal collapsed. We are where we are now and surely backing the manager we have is preferable to pissing and moaning about things? It’s not ideal but neither were the tactics and results before his predessors left.  

Frankly your response makes no sense . To say that Shan was the best of all available options we could afford is simply ludicrous otherwise , if he was the best option he'd have been appointed straight away permanently. Which he wasn't. The only reason he's in a job now is because either there was absolutely no plan on who the new manager  was to be (thus bringing me back to my original point about the board ensuring the best possible chance of promotion) or the manager(s) they had lined up all withdrew because once they saw the fine print they decided not to join (thus taking me back once again to my original point).

All in all its an unplanned screw up of nuclear proportions and a massive risk.

RE: Shan Solo - 74bus - 03-28-2019

(03-27-2019, 10:40 PM)billybassett Wrote:
(03-27-2019, 02:28 PM)Beano Wrote: It may, but all Billy is pointing out is that given the statement and objective, it is not what most of us expected and such a

Frankly your response makes no sense . To say that Shan was the best of all available options we could afford is simply ludicrous otherwise , if he was the best option he'd have been appointed straight away permanently. Which he wasn't. The only reason he's in a job now is because either there was absolutely no plan on who the new manager  was to be (thus bringing me back to my original point about the board ensuring the best possible chance of promotion) or the manager(s) they had lined up all withdrew because once they saw the fine print they decided not to join (thus taking me back once again to my original point).

Totally agree. We sacked an inexperienced manager because, supposedly, we were going to try everything to get back into the Premiership. So now we have an even more inexperienced manager in charge. Completely ridiculous.
Even if we manage to go up, the management can't claim that this was part of some master plan. That would be like sticking a pin into a list of Derby entrants, managing to pick the winner and then claiming to be an expert on the horses.

RE: Shan Solo - Derek Hardballs - 03-28-2019

(03-27-2019, 10:40 PM)billybassett Wrote:
(03-27-2019, 02:28 PM)Beano Wrote: It may, but all Billy is pointing out is that given the statement and objective, it is not what most of us expected and such a

Take a breath and read my post properly. I didn’t say he was the best we could afford you said that. I argued given the circumstances he may be the best solution because other solutions may have fell through or would be too disruptive. 

Now you can argue that Shan shouldn’t be in the job all day long or DM shouldn’t have been shown the door, but we are where we are and if we want to to go up the fans need to back him for a handful cup finals. 

With regards to Shan’s ability it’s unknown but we weren’t getting the best out of the squad under DM and GJ so I’m open to minded how things may go over the next couple of months.

RE: Shan Solo - LIMABAGGIE - 03-28-2019

Unfortunately given where we are and in a virtually guaranteed play off position, it is probably the right decision. Appointing a long term Manager now when we could be promoted or not is probably a bigger gamble.