WBAUnofficial
Would we be any worse off... - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Would we be any worse off... (/showthread.php?tid=3401)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Would we be any worse off... - HeathAyIt - 04-19-2019

Yes we would

RE: Would we be any worse off... - Birdman1811 - 04-19-2019

Shan has really impressed. He's very highly thought of outside of the club too, he will soon be in the top job somewhere. It may be here but would we want to take that risk again?

RE: Would we be any worse off... - Malcolm Tucker - 04-19-2019

Whichever division we’re in next season, there is a huge overhaul of the squad required. Giving that job to an inexperienced head coach, most likely under the conditions of promotion/safety being a necessity, would seem like madness to me.

RE: Would we be any worse off... - 4-hero - 04-19-2019

(04-19-2019, 08:16 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:  He's very highly thought of outside of the club too

What?

RE: Would we be any worse off... - Squid - 04-19-2019

(04-19-2019, 09:46 PM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: Whichever division we’re in next season, there is a huge overhaul of the squad required. Giving that job to an inexperienced head coach, most likely under the conditions of promotion/safety being a necessity, would seem like madness to me.

Correct. If we go up, we will need a manager with Premier League experience. Surviving in the PL is a completely different task to thriving in the Championship. Sanchez Flores is currently unemployed, I can see us getting him in.

Likewise, if we stay in the Championship, there will be a big turnover of players and that will require a lot iof experience to oversee. McInnes would be the appointment there.

Shan is suited for neither job but I can see him in a management role elsewhere v soon.

RE: Would we be any worse off... - Hopalong - 04-19-2019

(04-19-2019, 07:31 PM)Mish Wrote: Bottom line is that neither Shan nor Moore is the answer.

Shan has played the best striker in the division as a striker.  It's not rocket science, but this eluded Big Dave, sadly.

DM is rightly a legend here, but he was appointed on the basis of not being as shit as Pardew.  This wasn't hard.  I wouldn't be as shit as Pardew.

We then relied on Harvey Barnes as a flat track bully to carry us through the first half of the season, and, despite conceding a shit load of goals by defenders thinking they were Beckenbauer, it worked.

Once we lost him, DM was out of ideas.  Lovely man.  Great man manager.  Tactically, naive would be putting it nicely.

Shan has simply done what anyone with tactical nous would do, and played Gayle as a striker with sensible options behind him.  Telling your defenders to not piss around at the back and playing your best striker as a striker rather than a left midfielder isn't exactly Shankly-esque.

At any point, if we could have a manager who was the best option, rather than the cheapest best option, that would be fucking lovely.

IF we go up (we will of course) I would go for Eddie Howe.  

He needs a new challenge.

(04-19-2019, 04:47 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Shan deserves far more credit than he’s recieved for gaining results in difficult circumstances. It’s a shame DM didn’t address the flaws in our tactics earlier and it was a shame that those who got heavily criticised for pointing them out were in the process.

Shan has performed a near miracle and was let down by a spineless performance at Millwall and a fuggin Big Dave/Smith reprise at Bristol -  certainly in the first 20 minutes, otherwise we would now be in 2nd place!!   

He has nearly got all the pieces of the jigsaw in place - just needs to get Matty up to speed over the next 3 games, drop Johnstone and get Hegazi fit.

RE: Would we be any worse off... - Cunningham1979 - 04-20-2019

(04-19-2019, 09:46 PM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: Whichever division we’re in next season, there is a huge overhaul of the squad required. Giving that job to an inexperienced head coach, most likely under the conditions of promotion/safety being a necessity, would seem like madness to me.

Wouldn’t giving the job to someone who knows the squad, knows it’s strengths and many weaknesses, knows which players need moving on make sense? If Jimmy gets this lot promoted then the job will be his. And rightly so

(Mears, Morrison, Barry, Townsend, HRK, Wes, Nyom, Burke, Rondon) Thanks and goodbye 

(Murphy, Montero,) Return to sender

(Gayle, Johansen, Holgate) Break the bank to buy

(Tosin) Loan again if possible

RE: Would we be any worse off... - 11amstart - 04-20-2019

If we go up, it will be more by luck than judgement! I have little faith in Shan!

RE: Would we be any worse off... - Derek Hardballs - 04-20-2019

(04-20-2019, 08:24 AM)11amstart Wrote: If we go up, it will be more by luck than judgement! I have little faith in Shan!

Compared to?

RE: Would we be any worse off... - Brunty - 04-20-2019

Our home form has turned around drastically. 4 wins out of 4 and 13 goals.

Going forward we seem more effective now. Before our build up was too slow and we gave teams a chance to sit back and defend.

Our strikers are scoring goals, Johansen is looking good now, Brunt in great form and getting assists, Gibbs and Phillips back..

The concerns at the moment is the dodgy goalkeeper and making sure Hegazi is fit for the play offs because without him in defence we are notably weaker.