WBAUnofficial
Today - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Today (/showthread.php?tid=8079)

Pages: 1 2

Today - Cuzer - 12-29-2019

As much as our standards have dropped lately I thought we would have way too much for a bang average Boro side who haven’t won away, however the last thing we needed to do was give them a head start and something to hang on to, which we gladly did
After that we huffed and puffed but never really looked like getting back into the game, the late 2nd jus t putting the icing on Boro’s cake

Slav I feel really needs to look at this zonal marking from corners, why is Barry marking Ayala and our two 6ft 3” center halves are marking space? I’ve not totted it up but how many goals have we conceded from set pieces this season? Every time the opposition have a corner you fear the worse, just let the center halves deal with their center halves, zonal marking can work when you have a keeper who commands his box, we know SJ is the total opposite, a seriously worrying trend developing our weakness from set pieces

I had no issue with the starting line up, Sawyers  has been off the pace for weeks and Slav eluded to this when he spoke about the stats etc the coaching staff looked at, again though I question the bench and lack of attacking options, still think we should find a place for Willock or Zahore, especially at home, also question Townsend over Brunt at LB in a game we’re 1-0 down at home and clearly will be putting balls in the opposition box from out wide, Brunt still has the best left foot in the division

Overall a result that’s probably been coming, we nicked underserved points at PNE, Blues, maybe Brentford, Barnsley so maybe today was our Karma?

Man marks

SJ 6 couple of decent saves, distribution OK, would love him to take charge at corners though

Furlong 6 Barely got forward in the first half, better 2nd but nowhere near his best

Ferguson 5 Poor again, too casual at times and offered no overlap option for Edwards, distribution also poor

Semi 5 Another one a little off the boil lately, seemed so assured earlier in the season but sloppy last few games

Hegazi 6 Got his head on most things, some good distribution at times, deserves to keep place for me

Barry 6 Thought he did OK,  not helped by lack of options in front of him, wrong call to hook him IMO

Livermore 7* Not at his best and at times uncharacteristically sloppy in possession but still one of our better players, just works so hard for the team, tries to make things happen and get the team ticking

Edwards 5 Another start and another chance to stamp his authority on the starting line up goes begging, why oh why he kept cutting inside today and going for the safe option sideways was beyond me, outside to the byeline with the pace he has

Pereira 6 oozes class but way too deep 1st half leaving HRK isolated, credit to Woodgate doubled up on him and I fear we can see more sides do this as all we do good goes through Pereira

Phillips 5 Rest did him no good whatsoever with another below par performance, match winner on his day but that’s been a while now, such a frustrating player

HRK 6 Some nice turns and layoffs first half but ultimately ineffective over the 90 mins and can’t remember, him having a chance of note

Subs

Austin 6 Better link play today and forced their keeper into a good save lack of pace in behind kills him....and us

Townsend 5 Wrong change for me, tidy enough but crossing poor and always wants the additional touch

Krovinovic 5 Another strange chance which didn’t improve us, never got a hold of the game for me

Cuzer

RE: Today - Sliced - 12-29-2019

I don't know from corners, but we have the fourth highest proportion of goals conceded from set pieces (39%, behind Wigan- 46%, Leeds 40% and Sheff Wed 41%)

RE: Today - Cuzer - 12-29-2019

(12-29-2019, 07:54 PM)Sliced Wrote: I don't know from corners, but we have the fourth highest proportion of goals conceded from set pieces (39%, behind Wigan- 46%, Leeds 40% and Sheff Wed 41%)

Same marking rules apply, when you think Semi, Bartley, Hegazi, Furlong are what you would class as good in the air it’s a poor statistic 

Cuzer

RE: Today - Baggiejacko - 12-29-2019

Zonal marking allows you to play the game in the opposite way that TP used to play. You all screamed for it at the time so be patient till we get good at it. Klopp does it at Liverpool and at first they struggled some games which cost them the league. Now they've tweaked it and and are more familiar with it they couldn't lose a game if they took up shooting on sight at their own goal. Just remember we don't have half a billion pounds worth of squad to experiment with like them.

RE: Today - Hopalong - 12-29-2019

(12-29-2019, 07:47 PM)Cuzer Wrote: As much as our standards have dropped lately I thought we would have way too much for a bang average Boro side who haven’t won away, however the last thing we needed to do was give them a head start and something to hang on to, which we gladly did
After that we huffed and puffed but never really looked like getting back into the game, the late 2nd jus t putting the icing on Boro’s cake

Slav I feel really needs to look at this zonal marking from corners, why is Barry marking Ayala and our two 6ft 3” center halves are marking space? I’ve not totted it up but how many goals have we conceded from set pieces this season? Every time the opposition have a corner you fear the worse, just let the center halves deal with their center halves, zonal marking can work when you have a keeper who commands his box, we know SJ is the total opposite, a seriously worrying trend developing our weakness from set pieces

I had no issue with the starting line up, Sawyers  has been off the pace for weeks and Slav eluded to this when he spoke about the stats etc the coaching staff looked at, again though I question the bench and lack of attacking options, still think we should find a place for Willock or Zahore, especially at home, also question Townsend over Brunt at LB in a game we’re 1-0 down at home and clearly will be putting balls in the opposition box from out wide, Brunt still has the best left foot in the division

Overall a result that’s probably been coming, we nicked underserved points at PNE, Blues, maybe Brentford, Barnsley so maybe today was our Karma?

Man marks

SJ 6 couple of decent saves, distribution OK, would love him to take charge at corners though

Furlong 6 Barely got forward in the first half, better 2nd but nowhere near his best

Ferguson 5 Poor again, too casual at times and offered no overlap option for Edwards, distribution also poor

Semi 5 Another one a little off the boil lately, seemed so assured earlier in the season but sloppy last few games

Hegazi 6 Got his head on most things, some good distribution at times, deserves to keep place for me

Barry 6 Thought he did OK,  not helped by lack of options in front of him, wrong call to hook him IMO

Livermore 7* Not at his best and at times uncharacteristically sloppy in possession but still one of our better players, just works so hard for the team, tries to make things happen and get the team ticking

Edwards 5 Another start and another chance to stamp his authority on the starting line up goes begging, why oh why he kept cutting inside today and going for the safe option sideways was beyond me, outside to the byeline with the pace he has

Pereira 6 oozes class but way too deep 1st half leaving HRK isolated, credit to Woodgate doubled up on him and I fear we can see more sides do this as all we do good goes through Pereira

Phillips 5 Rest did him no good whatsoever with another below par performance, match winner on his day but that’s been a while now, such a frustrating player

HRK 6 Some nice turns and layoffs first half but ultimately ineffective over the 90 mins and can’t remember, him having a chance of note

Subs

Austin 6 Better link play today and forced their keeper into a good save lack of pace in behind kills him....and us

Townsend 5 Wrong change for me, tidy enough but crossing poor and always wants the additional touch

Krovinovic 5 Another strange chance which didn’t improve us, never got a hold of the game for me

Cuzer

Two late xmas boxes.

First should have been punched clear easily by Johnstone and the second caught or tipped over. 

Otherwise a point today as we wouldn't have scored had we still been playing.

RE: Today - B36baggie - 12-29-2019

Agree on Ajayi. I would start Hegazi & Bartley against Leeds with Semi on the bench.

RE: Today - WorcBaggie - 12-29-2019

(12-29-2019, 07:47 PM)Cuzer Wrote: As much as our standards have dropped lately I thought we would have way too much for a bang average Boro side who haven’t won away, however the last thing we needed to do was give them a head start and something to hang on to, which we gladly did

Man marks

Subs

Cuzer

The zonal marking situation answers the question on the other thread about leaving players up in attacking areas when we defend set pieces, we simply need all back to defend this way. Whether it is the right thing to do is a different question all together. 

As poor as we were first half I thought we were pretty decent in the second and it was easy to see what Slav was doing esp at left back. For all the comments about Brunt he would be crossing from relatively deep (compared to Townsend) allowing the Boro defence to deal with the crosses better. Not a fan of Townsend at all but he has to play ahead of Ferguson and Brunt at the moment for the way he gets forward and creates a little more space for the team.

Think we need to get our best 11 on the pitch from the begining vs Leeds even if it means just getting an hour or so out of Grady. Bartley needs to come back and as he hasn't played with Hegazi before ( think..) I would go:-

SJ 

Furlong
Semi
Bartley
Gibbs

Livermore
Sawyers

Grady
Periera
Phillips

Kanu

Subs: Bond, Townsend, Brunt, Hegazi, Austin, Zohore, Edwards.

RE: Today - Kit Kat Chunky - 12-29-2019

Agree totally on zonal marking and SJ.

Boro still had some of Pulis' organisation in them at the back. We could still have been out there now and not troubled them.

RE: Today - 74bus - 12-29-2019

(12-29-2019, 10:03 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Agree totally on zonal marking and SJ.

Boro still had some of Pulis' organisation in them at the back. We could still have been out there now and not troubled them.
Try to post something without mentioning the fact that you need to be proven correct about SJ.  You'll feel a lot better for it.

RE: Today - Kit Kat Chunky - 12-29-2019

(12-29-2019, 10:12 PM)74bus Wrote:
(12-29-2019, 10:03 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Agree totally on zonal marking and SJ.

Try to post something without mentioning the fact that you need to be proven correct about SJ.  You'll feel a lot better for it.

I'm agreeing with a fellow poster.

Try not to keep stalking me. As much as I'm flattered by it, I couldn't give a fuck what you think