The Reading Goal
(08-22-2019, 10:36 AM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 10:34 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Thanks for posting that MD - Johnstone looks a lot nearer and better placed from that angle. Ref decided early on that we were diving and stuck to that until the end when he must have thought 'at least one of them has to be a pen'. The one early on was too far away for us to make a real call but looks the most likely (if it was in the area) - but if it wasn't why didn't he get carded?

Furlong did not dive. Neither did Diangana. The 1st Krov one was debatable.

Out of the 4 (including the one awarded) - that's pretty much how I saw it without the benefit of replays and watching the shit quality highlights.
(08-22-2019, 08:50 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Pretty much every goal is preventable if you look hard enough for someone to blame, but sometimes you just have to say it was a fantastic strike.

Phillips was close to Ejaria, and could have been stronger, but probably saw he was heading into the pen area and took the risk that he would stand a better chance letting him shoot than risking the pen. Gibbs was also ahead of him and should have closed the man down, but intstead did a half-hearted challenge.

Ejaria then smashed home an excellent shot which no keeper in the world would have got to. SJ could have dived for the cameras, but he stood no chance. Ejeria pulled out the perfect finish.

Good point, and one of Gibbs weaknesses.

So many call him a "premier league player", yet no one has made a proper effort to sign him in three windows. He's a very good technical footballer, lovely in possession, and often gets called the best left back in the champ. He probably is on the ball, but he's a defender, and he has serious weaknesses defending. he's our best left back easily, don't get me wrong, but my god I wish they could improve his defending. Stands off too much, weak in the air at times, doesn't stop crosses well enough. A Rolls Royce of a player on the ball, a bang average Ford Fiesta defending.
Felt Phillips failed to make any effort to prevent the shot, seemed to just give up, although he was flagging at the time
(08-22-2019, 11:08 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 08:50 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Pretty much every goal is preventable if you look hard enough for someone to blame, but sometimes you just have to say it was a fantastic strike.

Phillips was close to Ejaria, and could have been stronger, but probably saw he was heading into the pen area and took the risk that he would stand a better chance letting him shoot than risking the pen. Gibbs was also ahead of him and should have closed the man down, but intstead did a half-hearted challenge.

Ejaria then smashed home an excellent shot which no keeper in the world would have got to. SJ could have dived for the cameras, but he stood no chance. Ejeria pulled out the perfect finish.

So many call him a "premier league player", yet no one has made a proper effort to sign him in three windows. He's a very good technical footballer, lovely in possession, and often gets called the best left back in the champ. He probably is on the ball, but he's a defender, and he has serious weaknesses defending. he's our best left back easily, don't get me wrong, but my god I wish they could improve his defending. Stands off too much, weak in the air at times, doesn't stop crosses well enough. A Rolls Royce of a player on the ball, a bang average Ford Fiesta defending.

You can see from the replay that Gibbs should definitely be blocking the shot. Clear as day.

The fact that he was 20 yards away is irrelevant.
(08-22-2019, 12:23 PM)Statto Wrote:

You can see from the replay that Gibbs should definitely be blocking the shot. Clear as day.

Was that no Gibbs with the half assed challenge? Fair enough if it wasn't. My point stands though in general with his quality ability on the ball, compared to his defensive problems.
(08-22-2019, 12:41 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 12:23 PM)Statto Wrote:

Was that no Gibbs with the half assed challenge? Fair enough if it wasn't. My point stands though in general with his quality ability on the ball, compared to his defensive problems.

He's in place to cover the ball spread wide - he walks into shot as they celebrate. 

He closed better yesterday. Bilic mentioned it Saturday and must have had a word.
(08-22-2019, 09:05 AM)baggy1 Wrote: From directly behind it in the Brummie it looked like Johnstone's positioning was preparing for the ball going into the middle or far post. When Ejaria looked up he must have seen an absolute world of netting to aim for and just hit it straight. We seemed to stand off and just let him run and allowed him to pick his spot. If I was being really critical of Johnstone I would say his positioning was off but probably wasn't expecting the defenders to give him so much space.
 "positioning was off"... it generally is! That's his problem, as I keep saying  Angry
Seeing it live, I don't think Johnstone can be blamed. The defence simply allowed Reading far too much time and space. Why did we back off and allow the shot?

However, why was no effort made by Johnstone to try and save it? Standing there and watching the ball fly past him is going to win him no fans...

As a GK who is supposedly a good shot stopper, his record at letting long distance shots in, isn't great. Saw a Tweet giving percentages of goals conceeded, and it isn't great!
Clarnet v2.0
(08-22-2019, 01:07 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: Seeing it live, I don't think Johnstone can be blamed. The defence simply allowed Reading far too much time and space. Why did we back off and allow the shot?

However, why was no effort made by Johnstone to try and save it? Standing there and watching the ball fly past him is going to win him no fans...

As a GK who is supposedly a good shot stopper, his record at letting long distance shots in, isn't great. Saw a Tweet giving percentages of goals conceeded, and it isn't great!

The fact that closing down has been a weakness of ours doesn't help. Let players set and they can hurt you. 

We rarely get the chance to line up a shot outside the box. Livermore's chance on Saturday was the first in ages.
It was a shit goal to concede. But the keeper is not the one to blame. The notion of diving around in net for the sake of it is a new one and is quite honestly hilarious. Shit closing down and the lad has laced it from 20 yards, it's basically past SJ before he's had a chance to set himself.