Cradley Heathens
(11-27-2019, 08:48 AM)bradesbaggie Wrote: No loss. How is this even considered a sport?

Don’t be a complete fuckwit
(11-27-2019, 08:48 AM)bradesbaggie Wrote: No loss. How is this even considered a sport?

Dictionary definition: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Looking at the start of the video clip posted by Kit Kat, that is definitely physical and skilful and competitive, so it's the very definition of the word. Just because you don't like something it doesn't mean it is less because of it. I'm not interested in Speedway, but there's no denying it is a sport, same way I'm not bothered by darts, but loads see that as a sport, and it is (although the physicality side of things is somewhat less!)

Just got to the crash part, first time I've seen it, fuggin' 'ell that was awful.
The Albion and the Heathens defined the late 70s and early 80s for me. I wasn't a regular attendee but used to be able to hear the speedway on a Saturday night from the hill at the back of my house. We overlooked Cradley and the sounds of the speedway and at least one mossive hommer take me right back.
I remember going to see the Heathens several times back in the late seventies with my mate and his dad. We were stood track side by the perimeter and I can still smell the fumes as the bikes roared past full throttle, grit flying through the air and my mate shouting 'come on Heathens' like a fog horn in the night. Great memories of times and people who have now passed yet live on in my heart and my head.
Used to be made to go as a kid in the 90s, the noise an the smell are something I can remember clearly to this day
(11-27-2019, 10:52 AM)Biglad Wrote: Used to be made to go as a kid in the 90s, the noise an the smell are something I can remember clearly to this day

Castrol R and Methanol  Big Grin Big Grin
(11-27-2019, 11:16 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 10:52 AM)Biglad Wrote: Used to be made to go as a kid in the 90s, the noise an the smell are something I can remember clearly to this day

Castrol R and Methanol  Big Grin Big Grin

And Pork sarnies
In the 60s we were more like, er, the Baggies.

Roy Trigg, Bernie Persson....
(11-27-2019, 08:52 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

Ask Erik Gundersen who was a triple World Champion, and a Cradley rider, and was crippled riding a bike to answer that one. The fact he was riden over by two of his team mates Simon Cross and Lance King doesn't help. Erik wasn't expected to live.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/s...-30-years/

Fucking Cunt  Angry Angry Angry

Speedway riders are some of the toughest sportsmen on the planet. Tai Woofinden, Britain’s most recent World Champ broke his Back at the start of the season, took three months off then rode again! 

Back in the day also remember Kenny Carter from Bradford breaking his leg at the weekend, following Wednesday rode in the British Championships when he couldn’t walk and had to be carried on & off his bike between races. Utter nutter  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Deserve the utmost respect

(11-27-2019, 08:52 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

Ask Erik Gundersen who was a triple World Champion, and a Cradley rider, and was crippled riding a bike to answer that one. The fact he was riden over by two of his team mates Simon Cross and Lance King doesn't help. Erik wasn't expected to live.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/s...-30-years/

Fucking Cunt  Angry Angry Angry

Cheers for that video - never seen it before. Truly inspirational
I seem to recall Bruce Penhall lived over Swindon/Enville way somewhere - the local one, not Magic Roundabout Swindon.