Nathan Ferguson
Brunt at left back is not the answer I'm afraid. He could just about manage it 4/5 years ago, asking him to do it now is too big an ask.

I didn't quite get the love for him last night either tbh. He had chances to put good balls in from set pieces and didn't and wasn't tested as a defender. Great servant but his days are well and truly in the past now.
If he plays anywhere it should be on the left hand side of a midfield 4 like at Charlton in the cup.

I feel a bit for Slav. We've got probably the best left back in the division who's made from glass and then the young kid who he backs and plays decides from his advisors that he's bigger than the club.
If we are really not playing Ferguson because of his contract situation, then missing out on promotion might be a blessing in disguise, Because with strategic decision making like that we will be truly screwed in the premiership.

Maybe rather than being petulant about the situation, we should be asking questions like why did it need Bilic to notice his potential to play full back, if we had been a bit braver/competent with our judgements with players, we might have been able to tie him down with a contract extension last season, before he started to show his potential to the wiser world that he might have what it takes to play at the highest level.
(01-21-2020, 08:37 AM)boingingbaggie Wrote: Brunt at left back is not the answer I'm afraid. He could just about manage it 4/5 years ago, asking him to do it now is too big an ask.

I didn't quite get the love for him last night either tbh. He had chances to put good balls in from set pieces and didn't and wasn't tested as a defender. Great servant but his days are well and truly in the past now.
If he plays anywhere it should be on the left hand side of a midfield 4 like at Charlton in the cup.

I feel a bit for Slav. We've got probably the best left back in the division who's made from glass and then the young kid who he backs and plays decides from his advisors that he's bigger than the club.

Harsh that. Not been involved. Comes on last 15 and you want him to hit perfect balls every time. No point Townsend going forward for me as when he gets there he's not got the quality to pop a pass or beat a man or put a decent ball in. Might as well play a sitting left back like Brunt who knows how to defend and can put a ball in.
(01-21-2020, 08:59 AM)billybassett Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 08:37 AM)boingingbaggie Wrote: Brunt at left back is not the answer I'm afraid. He could just about manage it 4/5 years ago, asking him to do it now is too big an ask.

Harsh that. Not been involved. Comes on last 15 and you want him to hit perfect balls every time. No point Townsend going forward for me as when he gets there he's not got the quality to pop a pass or beat a man or put a decent ball in. Might as well play a sitting left back like Brunt who knows how to defend and can put a ball in.

It is harsh, but I always read how one of his main attributes is his quality balls in the box. He had at least 5 attempts last night and didn't manage one decent one. If that's failing him I just don't see what else he offers.

I appreciate I'm in a minority but he certainly isn't the answer at left back IMO
(01-21-2020, 09:07 AM)boingingbaggie Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 08:59 AM)billybassett Wrote:

It is harsh, but I always read how one of his main attributes is his quality balls in the box. He had at least 5 attempts last night and didn't manage one decent one. If that's failing him I just don't see what else he offers.

I appreciate I'm in a minority but he certainly isn't the answer at left back IMO

The point I was making was maybe give him a run for 3 or 4 games and maybe the quality of the ball will improve. Can't be any worse than any body else's on the pitch last night. The quality in general into the box was shocking.
(01-20-2020, 11:20 PM)sickParrot Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 11:03 PM)WorcBaggie Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 10:52 PM)Sliced Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 10:37 PM)Peachy Wrote: Left back didn't cost us tonight.

Correct. Arguably the only player who put in some decent crosses, for which no one moved.

What the fuck were you two watching. He was beyond dreadful first half. No 'out' ball on the left, touch of a League 1 player at best. Improved marginally in the second with Bilic constantly in his ear.

Brunt was undoubtedly the only sub Slav got right tonight, should have done it earlier.

Disagree, Should have been Krov and Edwards on not Austin and Brunt. We needed to create something.
Fergie's injury seems to be dragging on a bit......thought he was fit?

Oh and a bump to this thread re Townsend.... Big Grin
I presume Bilic has bombed him out as he's got no intention of signing?
(01-25-2020, 04:00 PM)Peachy Wrote: Fergie's injury seems to be dragging on a bit......thought he was fit?

Nah mate, league one player. He only does ok because "Bilic is constantly is his ear"

Absolute bollocks
(01-25-2020, 05:00 PM)Sliced Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 04:00 PM)Peachy Wrote: Fergie's injury seems to be dragging on a bit......thought he was fit?

Nah mate, league one player. He only does ok because "Bilic is constantly is his ear"

Absolute bollocks

Chuffed for him today. His attitude is great. Yes he's limited but whenever I've seen him he's always given 100% and been tidy.

Can't ask for much more.