Bletchley Park
Turing is my idol so I live Bletchley Park. Sad how we treated him after the war.
(03-09-2020, 12:21 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(03-08-2020, 11:43 PM)Jezstatham Wrote: I've bored everyone with this before but my dad was there late 1944-45.He was a Japanese code breaker. He died in February 2017 aged 91. He's on their roll of honour

John Walwyn Statham   1925-2017

Fantastic. We owe a debt of gratitude.

You must be very proud.

+1. If there are any stories to tell I’d be interested to read them, as I’m sure others would.
Bletchley Park is one of my favourite subjects.I've been reading about it for about 25 years,never been there unfortunately.Whilst it was a good film that got people interested in the subject and finally Turing has deserved recognition factually it was bollocks.There were many more people no-one knew about because of the official secrets act.For anyone interested check out Tommy Flowers who actually built Colossus at his own expense with parts he got from the Post Office and John Herivel for instance.In 1950 Tommy went to his bank and asked for a loan to build the worlds first programmable computer,the bank refused they thought it couldn't be done.He couldn't tell them he'd already done it because of the Official Secrets act.In the film it makes out Turing worked with and was being blackmailed by John Cairncross because of his homosexuality.There no evidence that they even knew each other,they actually worked in different huts.Still a good film though.
Feel sorry for Tommy Flowers. Effectively built the worlds first computer yet, because of the official secrets act, couldn't make any financial gain from it after the war.

Turing an interesting character. Probably down to guilt at the appalling way he was treated after the war he is now seen as THE figure at Bletchley. But there were other important people. Loved the story told yesterday after Turing being so quirky he would chain his tea mug to the radiator so no one would steal it.
(03-09-2020, 01:39 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Loved the story told yesterday after Turing being so quirky he would chain his tea mug to the radiator so no one would steal it.

Doesn't everyone?