Favourite classic reggae tracks
(05-04-2020, 10:14 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 01:52 PM)standitupbackstick Wrote: Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution

^This

I was trying to remember the band from around 1982 (that I saw in Brockwell park cnd convert)  and they had a song with the lyrics
“With a left, right, a left, right. You’re nicked, get in the back”
I can’t for the life of me remember the name of the band. The lyrics summed up the attitude of the police at the time with endless spot checks and nicking people for nothing.

Laurel & Hardy I think
Couple more,Remind me of misspent youth upstairs room at the Selly Park Tavern. 

Skinhead Moonstomp    Symarip

Do the Moonhop    Derrick Morgan.
(05-05-2020, 07:37 AM)standitupbackstick Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 10:14 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 01:52 PM)standitupbackstick Wrote: Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution

^This

I was trying to remember the band from around 1982 (that I saw in Brockwell park cnd convert)  and they had a song with the lyrics
“With a left, right, a left, right. You’re nicked, get in the back”
I can’t for the life of me remember the name of the band. The lyrics summed up the attitude of the police at the time with endless spot checks and nicking people for nothing.

Laurel & Hardy I think

It was. Thank you.

The concert in Brockwell park was a strange one due to the mix of bands.  It cost £1 for a return coach from Brum and when we got off the coach we were told to “join the march”.  We saw a road sign “Brixton 2 miles”, so we jumped the tube instead.  We got to Brockwell park before the march had arrived only to see The Damned play their last song of their set (to hardly anyone there as the organisers had fucked up the timings).
Wreck a buddy,  by The Soul Sisters.

Lyrics were a bit naughty in 1969, mind.   Blush

Soul sisters
(05-05-2020, 12:26 PM)Psalm23 Wrote: Wreck a buddy,  by The Soul Sisters.

Lyrics were a bit naughty in 1969, mind.   Blush

Soul sisters

There were a few of those naughty songs.  Wreck a pum pum, Big Five, Wet Dream.  I was a little young for the skinhead days but on a good night I could manage to blag my way in to the disco. What I remember was seeing all the mod/skinhead girls dancing all evening EXCEPT when those rude tunes came on. None of them wanted to be skanking around to those.
Although, it has to be said, Wreck a buddy is an excellent tune.
(05-04-2020, 12:40 PM)DAVE Wrote: Althea and Donna - Uptown Ranking

Them pair remind of that scene from Only Fools & Horses

Get your coat Rodney, we're leaving
Have you pulled a couple of ravers, Del?
No, we've pulled a couple of geezers!
(05-05-2020, 07:36 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(05-05-2020, 04:58 AM)Everything Zin Wrote: Not a great reggae fan but remember Steel Pulse supporting The Steve Gibbons Band at Brum Town Hall (77/8?) - great show, particularly when they all hot on stage for the final encore.

My first ever concert was seeing Steel Pulse support Steve Gibbons Band at the open air amphitheatre at Cannon Hill Park.

Favourite reggae tracks

Double Barrell - Dave and Ansell Collins
Pied Piper - Bob and Marcia
Stir it up - Wailers
Johnny Was - Bob Marley
Many Rivers to Cross - Jimmy Cliff
If I Can't Have You - Gregory Issaacs
Herbnan Hustling - Sugar Minnott
Man Twice My Age - Shabba Ranks
Welcome to Jam Rock - Damian Marley
Two Sevens Clash - Culture
King - UB40
Earth Dies Screaming - UB40
Jogging - Freddie McGregor

Although lots of reggae afficandos would turn their nose up at them, the first UB40 album was great. Started playing it a lot recently and it sounds spot on, the production by Bob Lamb (Steve Gibbon's drummer iirc) was fantastic.

Also Steel Pulse album Handsworth Revolution brings back many memories.

Forgot to mention General Saint and Clint Eastwood - Stop that Train and the Peter Tosh track of the same name is very good as well.

Some great choices there
General Saint & Clint Eastwood was always a Hen & Chickens favourite to get people on the floor
Either that or half a lager & a benson & hedges

Peter Tosh-Legalise it 
Bob Marley & the Wailers-Concrete Jungle (which always reminds me of a large council estate in Smethwick)
(05-04-2020, 06:59 PM)col lard Wrote: Has there ever been a better pop song than "My Boy Lollipop" by Millie Small? Still immensely popular, everyone knows the words, great to dance to, great mouth organ solo. Fabulous.

Sadly, Millie Small’s death has just been announced.