Boris needs to be held to account.
(08-14-2020, 01:01 PM)Fido Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 11:39 AM)Offside Wrote: I think the opening post is more a statement of the journalism from BBC News, the Daily Mail, Sky News,  The Times and even the Telegraph.

All of life's problems, which the generation that is currently in rapid demise, would have dealt with themselves, are now the government's fault.

The inability of individuals to take responsibility for themselves and for their families is pitiful.  Evidence?  Bournemouth beach last weekend.

Every problem is the fault of the government. This presumption is fostered by the need of 24 hour news channels to fill their time with the devastating problems of Sharon from Shipley,  who is too fucking fat to get out of bed, but luckily the local McDonalds do deliveries.  BBC News in particular will go out of their way to find a negative to a positive story "in the interest of balance". Meanwhile Sharon will at some time in the future need to be removed from her bed by a crane, and on her demise from chronic diabetes, and will be buried in skip due to the constraints of the oven door at the crematorium. There are thousands of Sharons in the UK,  what are the government doing about it?  We need to know. Why are these people allowed to kill themselves. Is Cummings to blame?  

There is also a post Brexit hangover, where the educated "left"  - Matthew Parris,  Rachel Sylvester and Jenni Russell, who all write columns for the Times,  are vitriolic about Boris Johnson,  and anything he does or doesn't do.  They see it as their mission to keep trying to educate those who voted leave, with their arrogant scorn and patronising pity, and peddle the myth that the great unwashed simply didn't understand.  

That cunt James O'Brien on LBC is beyond belief when it comes to explaining why 17 million people are idiots. Their anger at losing the Brexit vote has now spilled into blaming Boris Johnson for Covid-19.  He shut the schools down to early, or too late,  or shut the wrong ones down, or the lock down was too late or too early or too harsh or too soft. And coming out of it is too soon,  or too late, or the wrong sectors are open, or closed, or it needs more money, or too much money was wasted. And having closed the country down,  Keir Starmer is asking why we have a recession and what are the government doing about it?  They have clearly failed and this needs an enquiry.  

Note there are few solutions offered by either opposition parties, or the parasitic opinion column writers who know what should have been done, and when,  and how, but only in hindsight.  They are another cesspit of negativity. A real job would kill them.

I made a conscious decision not to watch Sky news or BBC news about six weeks ago.  I genuinely feel a lot better for it.  I know watch CNN News.  They have a brilliant comedy programme on every evening, known as the White House press conference, starring Donald Trump.  It is unmissable.  

I voted to remain by the way.

Great post.

You often have a news team asking the thoughts of Joe Smoke in one high street or another and would receive a reply such as:

“Something needs to be done”

It was crying out for the interviewer to ask:

“What would you do in their position?”

Only if you get a valid, thought out reply does that become a valid opinion.

“What they are doing is wrong” is not.

How about:
  • In January/February instigate restrictions on flights arriving to the UK from East Asia, if this was done when people were suggesting this was a good idea then the people who came from Singapore and were later found to have initially spread the virus in Brighton and the Nike Conference in Edinburgh would have had a much tougher time of doing so.
  • Implement the recommendations of Project Cygnus when they were given years ago, or even last summer.
  • Instigate a crowds ban before Cheltenham and the Liverpool-Atletico match were scheduled as people were saying, the former being a prime location for asymptomatic superspreaders and the latter stopping thousands of people from a European hotspot being allowed in one of the most densely populated areas of the UK.
  • When lockdown was initiated implement strict travel restrictions and quarantining measures like we did and still do with animals which allowed us to eradicate and continue to prevent rabies in the UK.
Doing all of those things would have made things a lot easier and they were all being advocated at the time, some countries implemented similar measures and have better metrics than the UK. Two of them were even implemented in Northern Ireland as a result of Stormont following policy from Dublin instead of Westminster.
(08-14-2020, 06:13 AM)Fido Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 02:20 AM)quintonbaggie Wrote: Fucking hilarious. Honestly that is satire at its best. Comedy genius that pal.

The thousands of people that died unnecessarily, the multiple millions wasted on ineffective PPE purchased from companies with no track-record, the coverage by a right wing media of a few hundred people arriving on dinghy's...YET nothing on the crisis of poverty in our own cities and towns (Halesowen), the largest excess death toll in Europe and the biggest recession?

All of you smirking at Cornish's post can fuck right off.  

I don't give a shit how far you drive to the Albion - this is a football board keep you're right-wing bollocks in the annex created for politics.

I’d advise you take a cold shower, have a shifty on the politics board and read some of Derek’s posts and then ask yourself if there is even the slightest similarity with the OP.

And then chill the fugg out.

Please link.
Serco dreadful system does not include the send the Gp a letter .
Don't have a problem with the OP - there's nothing wrong with a bit of satire and parody.

I am sure there is a political dimension to it and one i probably disagree with, but there you go . It can't be just us lefties that get to indulge in political humour.

Would point out that the ultimate destination of the OP is that if the PM/Govt is not accountable or responsible for anything, why am i as a taxpayer contributing to their salaries.
(08-14-2020, 01:54 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 11:39 AM)Offside Wrote: I think the opening post is more a statement of the journalism from BBC News, the Daily Mail, Sky News,  The Times and even the Telegraph.

All of life's problems, which the generation that is currently in rapid demise, would have dealt with themselves, are now the government's fault.

The inability of individuals to take responsibility for themselves and for their families is pitiful.  Evidence?  Bournemouth beach last weekend.

Every problem is the fault of the government. This presumption is fostered by the need of 24 hour news channels to fill their time with the devastating problems of Sharon from Shipley,  who is too fucking fat to get out of bed, but luckily the local McDonalds do deliveries.  BBC News in particular will go out of their way to find a negative to a positive story "in the interest of balance". Meanwhile Sharon will at some time in the future need to be removed from her bed by a crane, and on her demise from chronic diabetes, and will be buried in skip due to the constraints of the oven door at the crematorium. There are thousands of Sharons in the UK,  what are the government doing about it?  We need to know. Why are these people allowed to kill themselves. Is Cummings to blame?  

There is also a post Brexit hangover, where the educated "left"  - Matthew Parris,  Rachel Sylvester and Jenni Russell, who all write columns for the Times,  are vitriolic about Boris Johnson,  and anything he does or doesn't do.  They see it as their mission to keep trying to educate those who voted leave, with their arrogant scorn and patronising pity, and peddle the myth that the great unwashed simply didn't understand.  

That cunt James O'Brien on LBC is beyond belief when it comes to explaining why 17 million people are idiots. Their anger at losing the Brexit vote has now spilled into blaming Boris Johnson for Covid-19.  He shut the schools down to early, or too late,  or shut the wrong ones down, or the lock down was too late or too early or too harsh or too soft. And coming out of it is too soon,  or too late, or the wrong sectors are open, or closed, or it needs more money, or too much money was wasted. And having closed the country down,  Keir Starmer is asking why we have a recession and what are the government doing about it?  They have clearly failed and this needs an enquiry.  

Note there are few solutions offered by either opposition parties, or the parasitic opinion column writers who know what should have been done, and when,  and how, but only in hindsight.  They are another cesspit of negativity. A real job would kill them.

I made a conscious decision not to watch Sky news or BBC news about six weeks ago.  I genuinely feel a lot better for it.  I know watch CNN News.  They have a brilliant comedy programme on every evening, known as the White House press conference, starring Donald Trump.  It is unmissable.  

Great post.

You often have a news team asking the thoughts of Joe Smoke in one high street or another and would receive a reply such as:

How about:
  • In January/February instigate restrictions on flights arriving to the UK from East Asia, if this was done when people were suggesting this was a good idea then the people who came from Singapore and were later found to have initially spread the virus in Brighton and the Nike Conference in Edinburgh would have had a much tougher time of doing so.
  • Implement the recommendations of Project Cygnus when they were given years ago, or even last summer.
  • Instigate a crowds ban before Cheltenham and the Liverpool-Atletico match were scheduled as people were saying, the former being a prime location for asymptomatic superspreaders and the latter stopping thousands of people from a European hotspot being allowed in one of the most densely populated areas of the UK.
  • When lockdown was initiated implement strict travel restrictions and quarantining measures like we did and still do with animals which allowed us to eradicate and continue to prevent rabies in the UK.
Doing all of those things would have made things a lot easier and they were all being advocated at the time, some countries implemented similar measures and have better metrics than the UK. Two of them were even implemented in Northern Ireland as a result of Stormont following policy from Dublin instead of Westminster.

You weren’t really the target of my comment, BB, and seems mystifying as to why travel restrictions weren’t introduced much earlier, especially as it seems like the gates are getting bolted when the herd has long since fugged off (or fugged in!). 

As to Shabby’s point, of course the government should always be held to account by its actions given we pay them to make decisions on our behalf. But then the same people who say that lockdown should have been more vigorous are also complaining about the shrinking of the economy. The paths are inextricably tied.

Every problem is the fault of the government. This presumption is fostered by the need of 24 hour news channels to fill their time with the devastating problems of Sharon from Shipley,  who is too fucking fat to get out of bed, but luckily the local McDonalds do deliveries.  BBC News in particular will go out of their way to find a negative to a positive story "in the interest of balance". Meanwhile Sharon will at some time in the future need to be removed from her bed by a crane, and on her demise from chronic diabetes, will be buried in skip due to the constraints of the oven door at the crematorium. There are thousands of Sharons in the UK,  what are the government doing about it?  We need to know. Why are these people allowed to kill themselves. Is Cummings to blame?  

I made a conscious decision not to watch Sky news or BBC news about six weeks ago.  I genuinely feel a lot better for it.  I now watch CNN News.  They have a brilliant comedy programme on every evening, known as the White House press conference, starring Donald Trump.  It is unmissable.  

Brilliant post
(08-14-2020, 03:48 PM)Fido Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 01:54 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:

Great post.

How about:

You weren’t really the target of my comment, BB, and seems mystifying as to why travel restrictions weren’t introduced much earlier, especially as it seems like the gates are getting bolted when the herd has long since fugged off (or fugged in!). 

As to Shabby’s point, of course the government should always be held to account by its actions given we pay them to make decisions on our behalf. But then the same people who say that lockdown should have been more vigorous are also complaining about the shrinking of the economy. The paths are inextricably tied.

I think, as shabby says, the OP is quite funny and worth a smile. It does also make me smile when there is a argument put forward that all the anti-government folk are generalising by calling the 17 million idiots and then generalising that no-one from that side has come up with a solution (Welsh schools managed to go back by the unions working with the Welsh assembly - who knew!)

There are probably people complaining that the lockdown should have been more vigorous (i'd say the main point is that it should have been earlier not more vigorous) and there are people complaining about the shrinking of the economy, but again, it's a lazy generalisation to say they are the same people. 

All in all - it was a bit of a joke poking fun. No damage done.

Every problem is the fault of the government. This presumption is fostered by the need of 24 hour news channels to fill their time with the devastating problems of Sharon from Shipley,  who is too fucking fat to get out of bed, but luckily the local McDonalds do deliveries.  BBC News in particular will go out of their way to find a negative to a positive story "in the interest of balance". Meanwhile Sharon will at some time in the future need to be removed from her bed by a crane, and on her demise from chronic diabetes, will be buried in skip due to the constraints of the oven door at the crematorium. There are thousands of Sharons in the UK,  what are the government doing about it?  We need to know. Why are these people allowed to kill themselves. Is Cummings to blame?  

I made a conscious decision not to watch Sky news or BBC news about six weeks ago.  I genuinely feel a lot better for it.  I now watch CNN News.  They have a brilliant comedy programme on every evening, known as the White House press conference, starring Donald Trump.  It is unmissable.  

Can I just thank you for the entertainment this post has just given me.
Brilliant !!!
I don’t have a problem with the opening post in terms of taking the piss but...

They did waste millions on unusable PPE
They have sent out contradictory messages at various times
They have given contracts to companies arguably ill equipped to deal the tasks commissioned for. (I’m being generous). Take a look at the difference in performance between Serco and NHS Public Health regarding trace and track
They have spent millions on a failed App when there are perfectly workable alternatives and are now testing yet another one
They did promise a world beating Trace and Track system by June have we got that? 
They did leave the airports open to places such as Italy when they were rife with the disease
There are more...Dominic Cummings etc

Also the point about locking down earlier and harder which wasn’t hindsight plenty of experts said we should, was that it would have seen less infection and the economic damage would have been minimised by unlocking earlier. 

Most sensible people have criticised the idiots going to the beech, protests and parties but that does not excuse the governments handling of the situation. Not as funny as the opening post but according to Fido similar.
(08-14-2020, 05:03 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I don’t have a problem with the opening post in terms of taking the piss but...

They did waste millions on unusable PPE
They have sent out contradictory messages at various times
They have given contracts to companies arguably ill equipped to deal the tasks commissioned for. (I’m being generous). Take a look at the difference in performance between Serco and NHS Public Health regarding trace and track
They have spent millions on a failed App when there are perfectly workable alternatives and are now testing yet another one
They did promise a world beating Trace and Track system by June have we got that? 
They did leave the airports open to places such as Italy when they were rife with the disease
There are more...Dominic Cummings etc

Also the point about locking down earlier and harder which wasn’t hindsight plenty of experts said we should, was that it would have seen less infection and the economic damage would have been minimised by unlocking earlier. 

Most sensible people have criticised the idiots going to the beech, protests and parties but that does not excuse the governments handling of the situation. Not as funny as the opening post but according to Fido similar.

You missed being reactive instead of proactive
You also missed sending elderly patients out of hospitals to care homes without testing them for Covid!!!
Re giving contracts.. you forgot to mention the links these companies have to people in power. In the private sector that would be questioned 

Well, at least we won something in Europe for a change. Sadly it was the death rate.