Everton Team Carabao
Maybe it’s their strength in depth or perhaps the greater desire to get silverware, but I thought it’s worth pointing out Everton only made 6 changes from our match for their Carabao tie against Fleetwood, with Pickford, Digne, Keane, Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin starting.

I know our priority is the league, I just think maybe we could’ve done with starting a few of our first XI last night. I think we gave it a good go and impressed more than our league game at Griffin Park.  Perhaps it was deliberate to further demonstrate our deficiencies to the upper echelons from Slav?

_________
Also, no need to point out Pickford had another howler so it’s not really impressive he started...
Given the compressed nature of this season and the physical toll it’s going to take on our players I don’t think it’s the worst thing to rest when possible. Normally I’d be screaming for a cup run but this year things are different.
(09-23-2020, 10:15 PM)Duffers Wrote: Given the compressed nature of this season and the physical toll it’s going to take on our players I don’t think it’s the worst thing to rest when possible. Normally I’d be screaming for a cup run but this year things are different.

It's the longest scream, 52 years, since Edvard Munck painted an alien with his mouth open.
Bang on that Duffers, in these times. we sorely need the £100 odd mill for another year in the top flight, rather than the measly amount of prize money for winning a cup, it's not as if it's likely to be a grand day out at Wembley any time soon.
BBC said Digne and Keane only started because of injuries to other squad players.
I didn't see our game but despite the changes, I thought it was strong enough team to win the game. Indeed, we had twice as many shots on target and went out on missing one penalty of ten.
(09-23-2020, 10:15 PM)Duffers Wrote: Given the compressed nature of this season and the physical toll it’s going to take on our players I don’t think it’s the worst thing to rest when possible. Normally I’d be screaming for a cup run but this year things are different.

Agree, Duffers. The shame of it is we had a 2-3 year window when we could have a good go for a cup, but didn't bother.
(09-23-2020, 09:54 PM)JoeTheBaggie Wrote: Maybe it’s their strength in depth or perhaps the greater desire to get silverware, but I thought it’s worth pointing out Everton only made 6 changes from our match for their Carabao tie against Fleetwood, with Pickford, Digne, Keane, Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin starting.

I know our priority is the league, I just think maybe we could’ve done with starting a few of our first XI last night. I think we gave it a good go and impressed more than our league game at Griffin Park.  Perhaps it was deliberate to further demonstrate our deficiencies to the upper echelons from Slav?

_________
Also, no need to point out Pickford had another howler so it’s not really impressive he started...

It's a tricky one and a delicate balance.

What would everton fans be saying this morning if Richarlison had done his cruciate?
We have a couple of new signings coming into the fold in Gallagher, Ivanovic and potentially Kipre. We played all three which was good to see. Townsend is our second choice lb so the defence almost picked itself. We're still assessing the qualities of Field/Harper so no issues with them in the midfield.

Up front we could possibly have started Robinson to get him some match practice, but in Diangana and Pereira we have two players that we just can't afford to lose.