40 goal attempts against us last two games playing with 5 defenders
(12-07-2020, 12:26 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Let’s not get too carried away with our system. We stayed up because of Hodgson, he only became available due to his untimely sacking and he only came to us because it kept him on the FA’s radar for the England job. That wasn’t a succession plan.

Mowbray, RDM, Hodgson, Clarke

Not a bad list of managers really. Two got us promoted, one helped establish us and the other achieved our highest placed finish in the Premier League.
(12-07-2020, 04:35 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 12:26 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Let’s not get too carried away with our system. We stayed up because of Hodgson, he only became available due to his untimely sacking and he only came to us because it kept him on the FA’s radar for the England job. That wasn’t a succession plan.

Not a bad list of managers really. Two got us promoted, one helped establish us and the other achieved our highest placed finish in the Premier League.

Hodgson wasn’t part of some super computer system. He got sacked from Liverpool, needed a job to secure his reputation for the England team and the rest is history.
(12-07-2020, 05:07 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Hodgson wasn’t part of some super computer system. He got sacked from Liverpool, needed a job to secure his reputation for the England team and the rest is history.

Yes, but we also had a great goalscorer in Odemwingie that we picked up for a couple of million from Russia, a very good defender in Olsson for around 500k from Holland and Mulumbu for around 200k from France that were key to helping us stay up too.
(12-07-2020, 06:54 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote:

Yes, but we also had a great goalscorer in Odemwingie that we picked up for a couple of million from Russia, a very good defender in Olsson for around 500k from Holland and Mulumbu for around 200k from France that were key to helping us stay up too.

You look back at our signings from that era and we didn’t half pick up some bargains. We rarely spent big money but we found gems.

Morrison - £1.5m
Brunt - £3m
McAuley, Scharner, Jerome Thomas, Steven Reid, Gera (second time) - all free
Wingie - £1.5m
Olsson - £500k
Mulumbu - £250k
Dorrans - £100k
Foster - £5m (a lot by our standards but worth every penny)
(12-07-2020, 11:05 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Indeed. I'd certainly try Field and Gallagher together.

Massive +1. Those two would be a great combo imo.
(12-07-2020, 06:54 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote:

With regards to this I completely agree. Although I was aware of Odemwingie due to playing as Nigeria on FIFA far too much on the Game Cube Wink
I would put Hegazi in the same category of great value signings - would have to say we would definitely be in a much better place defensively with him playing instead of either Ivanovic or Bartley

Sale now looks a lot worse than it did at the time

This is where I also disagree with fans about Bilic having no financial support - we broke as transfer record 3 months ago. We’ve never even remotely spent that following any previous promotion.

Our expensive players, namely Grant & Diangana (at circa £25m plus) are just not doing anywhere near enough

Lots of focus on initial £20m ish outlay, but commitment on players is well over £40m and in my view that does make some of the performances this season unacceptable

Yes, you lose but the manner of some defeats has been dreadful.

To me we lack organisation & discipline and I think squad is underachieving, albeit we’re hamstrung with what we have to play in central defence