Christmas Dinner
Merry Christmas to all you Baggies.

I wondered what Christmas dinner plans you all have. Is this year very different from normal and has it changed your menu plans?

So here we go. Turkey is a rare event in our house. Perhaps a couple of stuffed turkey breasts to slice with other cold meats, but almost never as a Christmas dinner. Tomorrow we will be having Beef Wellington, following a Gordon Ramsay recipe. Wife and son are currently rolling the beef fillets in the duxelle sauce and parma ham. Pastry will go on later.

So what are you all having?
Bumped straight to page 581!!
Chateaubriand, turkey crown and all the trimmings except sprouts. The turkey is mainly for sarnies and curry really
Chateaubriand, turkey crown and all the trimmings except sprouts. The turkey is mainly for sarnies and curry really
For the first time in 36 years it’ll be just me, Mrs Stroller and the dog (not the original dog, obviously; she’s an old un now, but not in her 30s!) enjoying a quiet day at home.

Like a lot of folks, I expect, we used to visit one set of parents one year, and the other the next, until it flipped and we became the hosts to both sides of the family. Usually we have around 15 of us sat around the table and Mrs S prepares a ginormous Mediaeval style banquet. Even after sending everyone home with whatever they can manage we have enough leftovers to see us eating bubble’n’squeak until the year’s end.

This year it just wasn’t worth the risk, with parents in their 80s and nieces at uni and school all mixing, so we’ve sacked it off. In a strange way, I’m quite looking forward to it.
hmmmn, I think I'll wait and post in the identical FF thread that should be along shortly....
(12-24-2020, 01:49 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: Merry Christmas to all you Baggies.

I wondered what Christmas dinner plans you all have. Is this year very different from normal and has it changed your menu plans?

So here we go. Turkey is a rare event in our house. Perhaps a couple of stuffed turkey breasts to slice with other cold meats, but almost never as a Christmas dinner. Tomorrow we will be having Beef Wellington, following a Gordon Ramsay recipe. Wife and son are currently rolling the beef fillets in the duxelle sauce and parma ham. Pastry will go on later.

Outstanding Chesh. Let me know where you are and I will pop down from Cheadle Hulme
We're doing little and often visits at the moment, rather than long stays. Wearing masks and keeping distance as well for their protection. We've dropped off food and presents this morning; our son is still working up to today and would be too high risk to visit either set of grandparents.

Ironically, my mother is in probably the best health of the three surviving, and she's 100 in a couple of months. Not great, but probably the best compromise in terms of keeping some contact while still looking after the health of others.

Pork and chicken in the oven and more veg on the go than we'll eat this side of new year; none of us wild about turkey.
(12-24-2020, 02:30 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(12-24-2020, 01:49 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: Merry Christmas to all you Baggies.

Outstanding Chesh. Let me know where you are and I will pop down from Cheadle Hulme

Sorry Manc, you'd be welcome but we're miles away in Nantwich. You're not allowed to travel from Tier 3 to Tier 2. I usually work in Bird Hall Lane, but I've only been to the office once since March. Should I freeze a portion and drop it off when this is all over?
Whole turkey. Crown meat alone too dry. Usual trimmings sprouts, roast spuds, pigs in blankets etc.). Christmas pudding with brandy butter.