Kids football - advice required!
(04-11-2021, 08:45 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote: Forget it, play the best players in the positions they enjoy playing in, in a loose 4.4.2 and let them find and enjoy their game. Most will have either packed in or gone on to something else in a few years time anyway!

Sounds like us in 1982
(04-10-2021, 09:24 PM)coxy134 Wrote: I was assistant coach for a few seasons. Took a couple of training sessions before a big cup match with a very good top division side.
I set them up in training with the whole team sitting back and defending Pulis style while a few of our better attacking players and myself attacked, they all knew what they were to do and if they got the ball either played it up the line or played it straight to a player who was free.

We werent the best team skill wise but expected a thrashing in that cup game. We didnt we lost 2-1 and the lads did exactly how we had drilled in training, only in the last 10 mins did they lose concentration and concede the second. The lads loved the fact they werent thrashed and said it was the best training sessions because they werent jogging around the pitch, standing in line waiting to shoot at an empty net etc.
Did I get to continue the training sessions? No, another parent starting to take over (who thought netball was a good training drill) and I was slowly pushed out.

Good look on moving to 11aside by the way we always struggled for numbers.

Rounds like the bRom on a pre season game.  Rolling subs anyone?
I told you I’ll be back
(04-10-2021, 01:16 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I said midfield diamond! What are you playing at Billy ffs you’re 10 now ffs!

Arf!

Reminds me of playing when I was a 10 year old. Our manager was a great guy. A hard as nails, small Glaswegian who was the dad of another player. He managed us right up until we were 18.

Even at 10 years old he used to go mental on the touchline if you weren't keeping shape. My dad and I still laugh about it now. He used to shout "Timmy, Timmmmmmy... stick te im like shite to a blanket"!

The look on the parents faces of the opposing players was hilarious!  Big Grin
My advice would be to let the kids spend as much time as possible with the ball, do not get dragged down the “results” route, this can result in too much time on positions, set plays, tactics and creates rigidity, encourage kids to try things, pass, move, find space but want the ball....do not be negative when someone makes a mistake, encourage them for trying.
Once kids become much better with the ball and confident to express themselves, they will be able to play any system.
There will be players more suitable to specific positions and have limitations in their control ....but encourage, play games where players only score with their weaker foot etc......most of all, enjoy it, ensure the kids want to train and play and do not get disheartened as they feel scared to try things on the pitch
at what level is your son playing at mate JPL MJPL or sunday football
(04-11-2021, 04:54 PM)keef Wrote: at what level is your son playing at mate JPL MJPL or sunday football

Those leagues are all the same level....grassroots
(04-11-2021, 05:04 PM)Black Lake Victoria Wrote:
(04-11-2021, 04:54 PM)keef Wrote: at what level is your son playing at mate JPL MJPL or sunday football

yes but a different level at grassroots
I’d say, just let them enjoy playing. The coaches and parents ruin it IMO making it too serious.  Better to have kids playing football and enjoying it than stuck in their bedrooms on computer games.
I told you I’ll be back
(04-11-2021, 05:47 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: I’d say, just let them enjoy playing. The coaches and parents ruin it IMO making it too serious.

that mate is the one thing i have learned over the past 8 years watching  grassroots
(04-11-2021, 05:17 PM)keef Wrote:
(04-11-2021, 05:04 PM)Black Lake Victoria Wrote:

yes but a different level at grassroots

Not at all, only different levels for subs payments