Normalcy
(04-30-2021, 09:39 AM)ItsAGoal Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 10:07 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Another Americanism creeping into our language. Like gotten instead of got (awaits Hudds saying gotten was used in England 400 years ago), defense instead of defence, reach out to instead of ask...

Gotten is used by Shakespeare so that one is questionable.

So was afore, beseech, forsooth, hath, morrow, thou... gotten was taken by the English Puritans of that time to America. Kept over there but like other words became redundant over her.
(04-30-2021, 10:26 AM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 10:07 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Another Americanism creeping into our language. Like gotten instead of got (awaits Hudds saying gotten was used in England 400 years ago), defense instead of defence, reach out to instead of ask...

So was afore, beseech, forsooth, hath, morrow, thou... gotten was taken by the English Puritans of that time to America. Kept over there but like other words became redundant over her.

Who was she and what did she do....?

If you want revel in your ignorance of etymology, dip your bread in your gravy, Maggie.

I'm more annoyed about English words being turned into American versions - program for programme, disk for disc, draft for draught (and how can beer in a can ever be draught/draft? Draught means to draw or pull (as in pulling beer on cask via the pump, or draught horse used to pull carts etc).  Or words that change meaning inexplicably - Yanks seem to think nonplussed means indifferent when its meaning is to be dumbfounded, gobsmacked.  And so forth.
(04-30-2021, 10:52 AM)hudds Wrote:

If you want revel in your ignorance of etymology, dip your bread in your gravy, Maggie.

I'm more annoyed about English words being turned into American versions - program for programme, disk for disc, draft for draught (and how can beer in a can ever be draught/draft? Draught means to draw or pull (as in pulling beer on cask via the pump, or draught horse used to pull carts etc).  Or words that change meaning inexplicably - Yanks seem to think nonplussed means indifferent when its meaning is to be dumbfounded, gobsmacked.  And so forth.

Not to mention that Americans have literally misapplied the word literally so much that Merion-Webster had to account for it in the dictionary.
(04-30-2021, 10:26 AM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:

I still use the words forsooth, morrow, beseech, afore (Black Country is never "before" but "a-fower" I never heard my dad say any different).

Moreover, the word gotten is genuinely English - you can't say it's an Americanism or construction that didn't exist in English.

ImBERseal
Glad some others get pissed off with the Americanisms ruining our language.

"Lame" fucks me off the most. What's wrong with plain old shit?
(04-30-2021, 02:00 PM)Korenavirus Wrote: Glad some others get pissed off with the Americanisms ruining our language.

"Lame" fucks me off the most. What's wrong with plain old shit?

Eggzactly!
hudds Wrote:
Cunninghamismagic Wrote:Another Americanism creeping into our language. Like gotten instead of got (awaits Hudds saying gotten was used in England 400 years ago), defense instead of defence, reach out to instead of ask...

Bloody right!