Would we be any worse off...
(04-20-2019, 04:27 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(04-20-2019, 04:07 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(04-20-2019, 03:42 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: I wouldn't be giving Dowling any credit for players he has got in so far. His contribution has been carp.
Darren got Gayle - Barnes (our best 2 loans) before dowling arrived.
All the youngsters Leko - Harper - Edwards - Tulloch - Field are nothing to do with him.
He may have had some influence with the Jan loans, as for an actual purchase he ain't got a single player in.
Considering the task ahead - he should give his salary back IMO.

He's only been here for a few months and his only transfer window with us was January where we had a budget of 5p given to him by Jenkins. What exactly has he done wrong? The bigger mess from player recruitment came from the Dolmio man who isn't here anymore.

Ah I forgot about the Jenkins spending limits, I was expecting Dowling to at least bring one player with potential in. Do you think that was too much to expect? Dolmio man was a figment of Lai's imagination, all he did was get rid of Foster and a few others.

I think the restrictions of the January window coupled with our monetary restrictions makes bringing anyone on a permanent extremely difficult.
The previous CEO and co maxed out our spending as the accounts and bank loan have clearly demonstrated and to buy better than what we have in January on inflated transfer fees and wages is not the time to be judging a DoF. Imo we had a decent January in terms of the quality of loans we brought into the club. None of them would have come cheap and are better / different to the players we already had.
(04-20-2019, 04:27 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(04-20-2019, 03:42 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: I wouldn't be giving Dowling any credit for players he has got in so far. His contribution has been carp.
All the youngsters Leko - Harper - Edwards - Tulloch - Field are nothing to do with him.
He may have had some influence with the Jan loans, as for an actual purchase he ain't got a single player in.

He's only been here for a few months and his only transfer window with us was January where we had a budget of 5p given to him by Jenkins. What exactly has he done wrong? The bigger mess from player recruitment came from the Dolmio man who isn't here anymore.

Ah I forgot about the Jenkins spending limits, I was expecting Dowling to at least bring one player with potential in. Do you think that was too much to expect? Dolmio man was a figment of Lai's imagination, all he did was get rid of Foster and a few others.

January is never an easy time, and we strengthened well given the restrictions our cash flow gave us. I'm a little disappointed in Murphy and Montero as what we needed at the time was an improvement on HRK, but his standing firm on retaining Townsend instead of replacing him with Oviedo and introducing yet another loan signing was the right thing to do. 

The time to judge him will be the summer. He's had the best part of a year to work up a squad shape regardless of division, and he's also responsible for finding the right manager. If we end up with the same lazy approach to managerial and player recruitment that we've seen for the last 3 years then he should rightfully answer for it, but so far he's not had a chance to publicly at least, show his worth.
(04-20-2019, 10:56 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-20-2019, 10:44 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 10:52 PM)Squid Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 09:46 PM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: Whichever division we’re in next season, there is a huge overhaul of the squad required. Giving that job to an inexperienced head coach, most likely under the conditions of promotion/safety being a necessity, would seem like madness to me.

Correct. If we go up, we will need a manager with Premier League experience. Surviving in the PL is a completely different task to thriving in the Championship. Sanchez Flores is currently unemployed, I can see us getting him in.

Likewise, if we stay in the Championship, there will be a big turnover of players and that will require a lot iof experience to oversee. McInnes would be the appointment there.

Shan is suited for neither job but I can see him in a management role elsewhere v soon.

And this is the kind of thinking that keeps dinosaurs like Pulis in work. Survival is always the first priority unless you are one of the golden few clubs who have enough resources to (almost) guarantee perpetual Premier League status. But coaches who think their job is finished when they hit 40 points are the ones who stifle clubs' development and ultimately ensure that no-one breaks through into the "top four". Pulis probably thinks he did a good job at the Albion. I think he dropped us right in the shit. Shades of opinion.

Agree with this.

If we get promoted, the most important thing is that we invest in the infrastructure and get back to where we were under Ashworth. Regardless of where we finish up this year Dowling’s role is the most important position in the club, and that’s where all our focus should be.

I’m happy with Shan so far, and should we get promoted he’ll have earned his chance. People say he’s too inexperienced to oversee the rebuild, but that shouldn’t be his role. Dowling is the man who should be working with the scouting department to ensure we whoever is in the dugout has the tools needed to perform. As soon as we let managers control recruitment we end up in the same shit Pulis and Pardew left us in.

Dowlings role is the most important in the club. 
I agree with that. Unfortunately I believe that if we leave Dowling in that role we are fugged.
(04-19-2019, 03:22 PM)Duffers Wrote: Had we kept Moore?

(04-20-2019, 06:50 AM)Cunningham1979 Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 09:46 PM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: Whichever division we’re in next season, there is a huge overhaul of the squad required. Giving that job to an inexperienced head coach, most likely under the conditions of promotion/safety being a necessity, would seem like madness to me.

Wouldn’t giving the job to someone who knows the squad, knows it’s strengths and many weaknesses, knows which players need moving on make sense? If Jimmy gets this lot promoted then the job will be his. And rightly so

(Mears, Morrison, Barry, Townsend, HRK, Wes, Nyom, Burke, Rondon) Thanks and goodbye 

(Murphy, Montero,) Return to sender

(Gayle, Johansen, Holgate) Break the bank to buy

(Tosin) Loan again if possible

Are you fucking mad pal? Or just another wind up

One of his jobs is to identify potential new managers should we sack the current incumbent  Since we sacked Moore he has failed abysmally.

(04-20-2019, 05:23 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: The previous CEO and co maxed out our spending as the accounts and bank loan have clearly demonstrated and to buy better than what we have in January on inflated transfer fees and wages is not the time to be judging a DoF. Imo we had a decent January in terms of the quality of loans we brought into the club. None of them would have come cheap and are better / different to the players we already had.

You think Montero and Murphy are better than what we had.. Really .
(04-21-2019, 08:10 PM)GMBaggie Wrote:

One of his jobs is to identify potential new managers should we sack the current incumbent  Since we sacked Moore he has failed abysmally.

(04-20-2019, 05:23 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: The previous CEO and co maxed out our spending as the accounts and bank loan have clearly demonstrated and to buy better than what we have in January on inflated transfer fees and wages is not the time to be judging a DoF. Imo we had a decent January in terms of the quality of loans we brought into the club. None of them would have come cheap and are better / different to the players we already had.

Derek likes to shout things that are contrary to normal opinion so he has something to respond to.

Are you new here?

Yes, but we don't know a lot of the details surrounding said failure. We have an idea that we pursued Wagner who said no, Jokanavic who wanted millions and Neil who we didn't formally approach before he signed a new contract with Preston. He's clearly named names but for one reason or another we haven't got that across the line. Couple that with not knowing what the players interactions with Dowling has been with respect to Shan, it's a bit harsh to allude that he's done much wrong. Ultimately with any technical directors we get in a multi-year plan should be set in place and his immediate interests should relate to our woeful scouting department and that should be the mark at which he's judged, who the manager is isn't as integral to those plans as we found out under Ashworth and others, namely Watford and Brentford, have made a success from. Unless he recommends his woefully out of his depth mate for the manager job then I think Dowling deserves a pass on a lot of the issues we presently face.

As members of the squad yes they offer different / better options than we had before Jan.