Underrated places
Newcastle, County Down. The Mournes Coast is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I agree with Düsseldorf. Visited there and Munich pre covid and much preferred the former.

I'd also add Alicante. Some might be put off by the proximity to Benidorm, but it's a lovely city.

Jordan - the country. Petra is well-known, but Jerash is also amazing.
(01-28-2023, 12:32 PM)Mish Wrote: Durham - were it in the South, we'd never hear the last of how beautiful it is.  Ditto Newcastle, which isn't just pissed folk wearing inadequate clothing - Grey Street and The Quayside are breathtaking.

I was going to mention Durham in the shit hole thread.  Not for the centre, but an estate on the outskirts I travelled through one morning in a taxi heading to an office. 

Fuck was it rough!!!  Security cameras in the streets on the top of high poles with the cameras surrounded in metal cages to prevent them being vandalised.  There was a milk float driving down the road and about 4-5 kids aged around 10 throwing stones at it. 

The hotel I stayed at (May have been called castle hotel and overlooked the castle) had ran out of the cheap rooms the company had booked for me and I was upgraded to a suite with a separate living room and bathroom with a double jacuzzi. Happy days!!!
I told you I’ll be back
Blackheath
Newcastle Upon Tyne, I was amazed how nice it actually is. Reminds me of Inverness.

Marrakech, was nervous with the terrorism going on when we went. Lovely place, cleaner than a lot of UK cities and felt safer too. Only dodgy bit was the souk.

(01-28-2023, 11:29 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: London

Amazes me how many English say they don’t like it or haven’t been for 20+ years.

I’m heading there again for a day on the lash in decent bars at the start of March with my mates. Something we used to do every 6 months pre Covid.

Get to London for when the first bar opens (usually 11am No. we won’t be going into a Wetherspoons) and catch the last train back circa 10pm

Might have to book a table at Ramsay’s street food place near St Paula for bottomless pizza

I was in London in October and didn’t realise places like Madisons & Sushi Samba you have to book to get in. This never used ti be the case pre Covid.

Cor wait . London calling……

You really can't say that London is underrated, it's one of the most hyped places on Earth.

(01-28-2023, 12:32 PM)Mish Wrote: Durham - were it in the South, we'd never hear the last of how beautiful it is. Ditto Newcastle, which isn't just pissed folk wearing inadequate clothing - Grey Street and The Quayside are breathtaking.

Agreed Durham is lovely.
London is awful.
Turin. Went to watch a Juventus game with half Italian ex around 20 years ago. Expected an industrial City. Surprised how nice it was.
Grimsby where my missus is from. Expected a dump. Surprised how many parts of the town were nice. And north east Lincs close by nice.
(01-28-2023, 11:29 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: London

Amazes me how many English say they don’t like it or haven’t been for 20+ years.

I’m heading there again for a day on the lash in decent bars at the start of March with my mates.  Something we used to do every 6 months pre Covid.

Get to London for when the first bar opens (usually 11am No. we won’t be going into a Wetherspoons) and catch the last train back circa 10pm

Might have to book a table at Ramsay’s street food place near St Paula for bottomless pizza

I was in London in October and didn’t realise places like Madisons & Sushi Samba you have to book to get in.  This never used ti be the case pre Covid.

Cor wait .  London calling……

London is the kind of city I like to visit but never want to live in, hated working there as well.
(01-28-2023, 12:40 PM)Squid Wrote: Newcastle, County Down. The Mournes Coast is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I agree with Düsseldorf. Visited there and Munich pre covid and much preferred the former.

I'd also add Alicante. Some might be put off by the proximity to Benidorm, but it's a lovely city.

Jordan - the country. Petra is well-known, but Jerash is also amazing.

+1 for Alicante… lovely city, and the old town is beautiful. Very few Brits as they all head to Benidorm the minute they land!
(01-28-2023, 12:24 PM)rsbaggy2 Wrote: Cologne and Dusseldorf.

Been both cities numerous times over the last decade. V decent along with Hamburg. Thought Munich was a touch overrated

Sheffield much improved imo. Good day on the sauce
Scarborough/Filey. Much improved and some decent pubs and scran.

Actually much of the northeast coast.