Cricket World Cup 2019
(06-02-2019, 12:46 PM)Mancbaggies Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 11:19 AM)Colmanspig_ Wrote: SA look a bit vanilla without steyn and de villiers. Nice batting by the Bengali’s. Lots of singles amongst the cracking boundaries.

These might take some getting tbf.  Not great that SA top 6

Going to be tight. du plessi massive wicket for bangladesh .
As soon as cricket took itself off mainstream tv it ceased to be of any relevance. Endless tours across the globe for what feels like an eternity, that only a tiny percent of the country watches and players who most only recognise when they fall foul of the law or gossip columns.

Cricket used to be a mainstream sport, with England players as popular and well known as footballers this imo isn’t the case now.
(06-02-2019, 04:38 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: As soon as cricket took itself off mainstream tv it ceased to be of any relevance. Endless tours across the globe for what feels like an eternity, that only a tiny percent of the country watches and players who most only recognise when they fall foul of the law or gossip columns.

Cricket used to be a mainstream sport, with England players as popular and well known as footballers this imo isn’t the case now.

Tell that to those on central contracts Derek. They’ve never had as much ££££
(06-02-2019, 03:31 PM)Colmanspig_ Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 12:46 PM)Mancbaggies Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 11:19 AM)Colmanspig_ Wrote: SA look a bit vanilla without steyn and de villiers. Nice batting by the Bengali’s. Lots of singles amongst the cracking boundaries.

These might take some getting tbf.  Not great that SA top 6

Going to be tight. du plessi massive wicket for bangladesh .

Only Duminy can save them now tbh. Ban big favourites from now - around 1/10
(06-02-2019, 04:38 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: As soon as cricket took itself off mainstream tv it ceased to be of any relevance. Endless tours across the globe for what feels like an eternity, that only a tiny percent of the country watches and players who most only recognise when they fall foul of the law or gossip columns.

You are right and wrong at the same time.

Right in that a lot of people (like me) took less interest in cricket once Sky got involved and you could no longer watch it on 'free' telly.

But wrong in that certain formats of the game have made it a popular sport than ever. 

I'm a bit of a cricket traditionalist I much prefer test match cricket to the limited overs stuff. But I suspect I am in a minority in that.

Kerry Packer and Paul Hogan ruined it long before Sky.
Cricket is still mainly clean, and is a wonderful sport, this World Cup will be the best ever, so many great players in so many different teams, let’s enjoy it and hopefully celebrate an England win
(06-02-2019, 05:51 PM)Poppy’s dad Wrote: Cricket is still mainly clean, and is a wonderful sport, this World Cup will be the best ever, so many great players in so many different teams, let’s enjoy it and hopefully celebrate an England win

Would help if you can watch it...
£25quid now tv pass summer deal .
(06-02-2019, 04:54 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

You are right and wrong at the same time.

Right in that a lot of people (like me) took less interest in cricket once Sky got involved and you could no longer watch it on 'free' telly.

But wrong in that certain formats of the game have made it a popular sport than ever. 

I'm a bit of a cricket traditionalist I much prefer test match cricket to the limited overs stuff. But I suspect I am in a minority in that.
Probably.  I know many that have supported England Test Cricket for donkeys' years, both home and abroad, and not one would bother with a 20-20.  Yet somehow, the shorter the game gets, the wider the appeal. Puzzling or what?