Jimmy Shan
(06-28-2019, 07:17 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 07:09 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: Very good coach but if he wants to spread his wings then he should go for it. He's had a taste of management now and hopefully he can get a job sooner rather than later.

Agree,  and I thought he did a very good job for us. I'm just surprised he has left so abruptly. Unless he has something lined up wouldn't he be better off drawing a wage while still applying for other jobs?  We'll see soon enough, I guess.

He's a Blues fan I believe so I would imagine he would be tempted to go there if they approached him. I'd hope he doesn't because that club is a basket case but heart and head after all.
(06-28-2019, 07:19 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 07:17 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 07:09 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: Very good coach but if he wants to spread his wings then he should go for it. He's had a taste of management now and hopefully he can get a job sooner rather than later.

Agree,  and I thought he did a very good job for us. I'm just surprised he has left so abruptly. Unless he has something lined up wouldn't he be better off drawing a wage while still applying for other jobs?  We'll see soon enough, I guess.

He's a Blues fan I believe so I would imagine he would be tempted to go there if they approached him. I'd hope he doesn't because that club is a basket case but heart and head after all.

Yeah, his family are Bluenoses, home and away. He always reckoned he was a Liverpool fan but maybe that was discretion.
On the OS
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/june/sha...5eABSvHOvI
He did an excellent job for us. Agree that some of our father fans did not appreciate him.

I remember Sneekes on WM claiming the players wouldn't respect someone who had never been a pro. There's a lot of that snobbery about, so if he wants to go into management, now is the best time.

I'm sure I predicted Julian Dicks would pop up and that appears to be the case.
(06-28-2019, 08:45 PM)Squid Wrote: He did an excellent job for us. Agree that some of our father fans did not appreciate him.

I remember Sneekes on WM claiming the players wouldn't respect someone who had never been a pro. There's a lot of that snobbery about, so if he wants to go into management, now is the best time.

I'm sure I predicted Julian Dicks would pop up and that appears to be the case.

Dicks popping up? 

Jobs for the boys!
It's JPD - Julian 'Psycho' Dicks.
(06-29-2019, 09:48 AM)Hopalong Wrote: It's JPD - Julian 'Psycho' Dicks.

à least some of the lazy fuckers will put a shift in.
(06-28-2019, 07:03 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 06:26 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Very disappointed to read this... I thought he did brilliantly last season and wouldn’t have been against him getting the job long term. We’ve taken just as big of a gamble with Bilic as we would have with Shan IMO, but a far more expensive one.

I hope we don’t live to regret letting him leave.

All appointments are a gamble to a degree but I think Bilic has more chance of attracting quality players than Shan, has a brilliant network and he is a very experienced manager who has managed at the highest level in 4 different countries, and at international level.  Do you think it's easy managing a club like Besiktas?  WBA will be like a tea-party by comparison. 

There is absolutely no comparison between Bilic and Shan.

I admire the positive spin, but speaking in facts, Bilic has had a patchy at best record at every club he's managed since leaving Croatia in 2012.

Lokomotiv; Spent a lot of money, led them to their worst league performance since the league was created.... they finished 9th, and were closer to relegation than CL qualification... the following season they finished 3rd.

Besiktas; Two third place finishes, including one where they were top of the league going into the final 5 games and won only 1 of their last 5 to fall to third. 

West Ham; Great first season, but form fell away and he openly admitted he couldn't motivate the players any more. David Moyes came in and got better results.... David Moyes.

Al-Ittihad; Sacked for poor results in a league where an ex Stockport County manager, the current Reading boss and Christian Gross were doing better than him... 

I like Bilic, and I think he is exactly the kind of personality we need to give the place a lift, and raise our profile now we're having to adjust to being the third club in the region, however I don't see anything that fills me with optimism he'll promote us this year.  He is a gamble in that we've given him a lot of control, are no doubt paying him a very decent salary for this league and will back him with cash. 

Shan showed last season he can manage at this level, can get results at this level, and can crucially get results from this squad. He was a bent ref away from promotion. I'd imagine for all Slaven's contacts, Shan will have a better knowledge of players in this division and below, and the youth scene which are key recruitment areas for us. 

I agree one is an experienced manager - although one with a questionable CV but who is passionate on the touchline and disruptive in the media so immediately attracts the praise of simpletons -and one is a young coach who is finding his way but to say they're incomparable is just ludicrous. They would both be a gamble, Bilic is just a more expensive one!

PS: and the idea of Julian Dicks joining as First Team Coach is not one I relish...
(06-29-2019, 11:01 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 07:03 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 06:26 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Very disappointed to read this... I thought he did brilliantly last season and wouldn’t have been against him getting the job long term. We’ve taken just as big of a gamble with Bilic as we would have with Shan IMO, but a far more expensive one.

I hope we don’t live to regret letting him leave.

All appointments are a gamble to a degree but I think Bilic has more chance of attracting quality players than Shan, has a brilliant network and he is a very experienced manager who has managed at the highest level in 4 different countries, and at international level.  Do you think it's easy managing a club like Besiktas?  WBA will be like a tea-party by comparison. 

There is absolutely no comparison between Bilic and Shan.

I admire the positive spin, but speaking in facts, Bilic has had a patchy at best record at every club he's managed since leaving Croatia in 2012.

Lokomotiv; Spent a lot of money, led them to their worst league performance since the league was created.... they finished 9th, and were closer to relegation than CL qualification... the following season they finished 3rd.

Besiktas; Two third place finishes, including one where they were top of the league going into the final 5 games and won only 1 of their last 5 to fall to third. 

West Ham; Great first season, but form fell away and he openly admitted he couldn't motivate the players any more. David Moyes came in and got better results.... David Moyes.

Al-Ittihad; Sacked for poor results in a league where an ex Stockport County manager, the current Reading boss and Christian Gross were doing better than him... 

I like Bilic, and I think he is exactly the kind of personality we need to give the place a lift, and raise our profile now we're having to adjust to being the third club in the region, however I don't see anything that fills me with optimism he'll promote us this year.  He is a gamble in that we've given him a lot of control, are no doubt paying him a very decent salary for this league and will back him with cash. 

Shan showed last season he can manage at this level, can get results at this level, and can crucially get results from this squad. He was a bent ref away from promotion. I'd imagine for all Slaven's contacts, Shan will have a better knowledge of players in this division and below, and the youth scene which are key recruitment areas for us. 

I agree one is an experienced manager - although one with a questionable CV but who is passionate on the touchline and disruptive in the media so immediately attracts the praise of simpletons -and one is a young coach who is finding his way but to say they're incomparable is just ludicrous. They would both be a gamble, Bilic is just a more expensive one!

PS: and the idea of Julian Dicks joining as First Team Coach is not one I relish...

All good points this appointment is a very big risk.
We only won one away game under Shan and we stumbled into the plays off with no momentum. He fixed some problems of the past regime but at the same time created new ones.