20 Years ago
(07-29-2019, 08:26 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: All that cash we have earned in the last 20 years and it has all been spunked away. What do we have to show for it?

Several years in the PL,
A Championship title,
Beating Villa a few times
The 5-1 at Molineux,
A Cup Semi Final,
Winning at Old Trafford, Emirates, Anfield, Goodison
Beating Chelsea, Spurs, United, Arsenal, Liverpool at home,
Seeing Gera, Odemwingie, Lukaku, Koumas, Kanu, Barnes and more in the stripes,
Having Roy in the dugout,
Being pretty good for a while,
Iffy Udeze
(07-29-2019, 08:41 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 08:26 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: All that cash we have earned in the last 20 years and it has all been spunked away. What do we have to show for it?

Several years in the PL,
A Championship title,
The 5-1 at Molineux,
A Cup Semi Final,
Iffy Udeze

What narks me about this is that Stamford Bridge would have been on the win list but for the fact that the Seal Marriner robbed us in the dying seconds.

"Having Roy in the dugout" concerns me.

Several years in the PL,
A Championship title,
The 5-1 at Molineux,
A Cup Semi Final,
Iffy Udeze

Fuckin' well said.
(07-29-2019, 10:55 AM)Baggiejacko Wrote:

Several years in the PL,
A Championship title,
The 5-1 at Molineux,
A Cup Semi Final,
Iffy Udeze

Fuckin' well said.

Pulisball

Many seasons nearer the bottom than the top

A return to where we came from

A select few people considerably richer
(07-28-2019, 09:40 PM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote: 19 years ago this week, we were looking forward to an away match at Nottingham Forest, with some new found optimism after an awful previous season, which admittedly did end on a high. With 3 new permanent signings, plus three other players signed at the March transfer deadline (yes, kids, you could sign players all season until the final Thursday in March then - hence no pant wetting in the Summer) and the return of Lee Hughes, injured in April v Ipswich,  Albion, under Megson were embarking on a new era. And Ruel Fox was also poised to sign - a real coup at the time. In fact, Only 6 players remained from the squad at the first game of the previous season. We lost 0-1 in a close game, by all accounts.

You may say that the start of the revival of sorts, was staying up and beating Charlton on the final match of the 99/00 season, but this was the season we got going and we've never finished below this position in the League since. I was living in London then, so didn't go to Forest, but saw the first home game v Bolton, which we lost 0-2. We did ok, huffed and puffed, but were short v a fancied Bolton side. We then lost 1-4 at Barnsley, before we finally earned points v QPR on Bank Holiday Monday. Then we climbed the table steadily and for the first time in over a decade, we looked a decent squad - even with Van Blerk on the LHS of midfield. We ended that season finishing 6th and losing to Bolton in the Play-offs, but it was the beginning of the start of Albion being taken seriously again. And we saw an upturn in average crowds. 

It was also the first few weeks of Rivals when you could post with any name. Any of you ont his dump then? And which 2 future Albion players turned out for Forest that day?

(07-28-2019, 09:40 PM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote: 19 years ago this week, we were looking forward to an away match at Nottingham Forest, with some new found optimism after an awful previous season, which admittedly did end on a high. With 3 new permanent signings, plus three other players signed at the March transfer deadline (yes, kids, you could sign players all season until the final Thursday in March then - hence no pant wetting in the Summer) and the return of Lee Hughes, injured in April v Ipswich,  Albion, under Megson were embarking on a new era. And Ruel Fox was also poised to sign - a real coup at the time. In fact, Only 6 players remained from the squad at the first game of the previous season. We lost 0-1 in a close game, by all accounts.

You may say that the start of the revival of sorts, was staying up and beating Charlton on the final match of the 99/00 season, but this was the season we got going and we've never finished below this position in the League since. I was living in London then, so didn't go to Forest, but saw the first home game v Bolton, which we lost 0-2. We did ok, huffed and puffed, but were short v a fancied Bolton side. We then lost 1-4 at Barnsley, before we finally earned points v QPR on Bank Holiday Monday. Then we climbed the table steadily and for the first time in over a decade, we looked a decent squad - even with Van Blerk on the LHS of midfield. We ended that season finishing 6th and losing to Bolton in the Play-offs, but it was the beginning of the start of Albion being taken seriously again. And we saw an upturn in average crowds. 

It was also the first few weeks of Rivals when you could post with any name. Any of you ont his dump then? And which 2 future Albion players turned out for Forest that day?

I was, not sure how long I'd been on Rivals by that time, unsure if my original name had been banned from too much raiding, and whether I was using this one.

Used to meet up with Rich and Kappa etc.. at the Vine... ahh them were the days!

Then we got promoted and I lasted the 2003 season, then bought a house and moved a girl in, the footy for me was no more. I then felt like a fraud posting on a football board, having not gone.. and it's only with going a bit more again and with Baggpuss' insistence that I signed back up...

Ohhh my vision has gone all misty!
(07-29-2019, 12:53 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

Several years in the PL,
A Championship title,
The 5-1 at Molineux,
A Cup Semi Final,
Iffy Udeze

Fuckin' well said.

Pulisball

Not surprised with either of your posts. Really don't see the point in you 'supporting' the Albion. If you can't come away with what's happened since (the OP info) with some absolutely insane, happy memories with the odd dip (happens to most outside the elite clubs) then i'd give up.
It's been fucking brilliant and apart from the last season under Pulis there's only a cup final missing. 
As much as I agree with Duffers' post there are dozens more that could have been added too.
My point in the OP was to really compare the last 19 years, with the previous 19 (when we fell from 4th in the old 1st Division to 20th in the equivalent of the second Division, which included years of struggle and two years in the Third Tier). Around November 1999, Terry Wills (plus slip ons) was on a Radio 2 programme about once good/great clubs. (then, I think, just before R5). We were the first club featured in the series - I think Burnley and Huddersfield were the other clubs. I taped it at the time and listened back to it a few times. I will always recall Wills saying he did not think he'd ever see us in the top flight again. I felt much like it too. This was the time of Brian Little; an unbeaten start, mainly draws, had faded into the distance and we'd been forced to sell Kilbane before a match at Grimsby for a knock down price which eventually saw Tony Hale step down. We were a mess and at least Paul Thompson (despite his ego) came in and moved things on. 2 and half years later we were back in the top flight after 16 years out.

We have had a lot since then and we are at least taken seriously more now. In the 90s we had become a bit of a joke outside our own support, and sometimes even within it. 1985 to 2000 was a depressing time. 2000-2019 not so, even though we could have done more at times.
(07-29-2019, 01:42 PM)WorcBaggie Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 12:53 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

Several years in the PL,
A Championship title,
The 5-1 at Molineux,
A Cup Semi Final,
Iffy Udeze

Fuckin' well said.

Pulisball

Not surprised with either of your posts. Really don't see the point in you 'supporting' the Albion. If you can't come away with what's happened since (the OP info) with some absolutely insane, happy memories with the odd dip (happens to most outside the elite clubs) then i'd give up.
It's been fucking brilliant and apart from the last season under Pulis there's only a cup final missing. 
As much as I agree with Duffers' post there are dozens more that could have been added too.

I've been a season ticket holder for 40 years, and been on over 70 grounds with Albion.

I'm entitled to my opinion, and if you don't like it, you can FRO.
(07-29-2019, 12:58 PM)MassDebater Wrote:

I was, not sure how long I'd been on Rivals by that time, unsure if my original name had been banned from too much raiding, and whether I was using this one.

Used to meet up with Rich and Kappa etc.. at the Vine... ahh them were the days!

Then we got promoted and I lasted the 2003 season, then bought a house and moved a girl in, the footy for me was no more. I then felt like a fraud posting on a football board, having not gone.. and it's only with going a bit more again and with Baggpuss' insistence that I signed back up...

Ohhh my vision has gone all misty!
SO WHAT M8 IVE BEAN POSESED BT THE GHOST OF SUNDOG WHOEVER THAT FUCKR WAS
The 90s were truly hideous. I recall us being top 6 after stuffing Leeds 3-0 in Dec 86 and thinking we’ll come straight back, we finished 15th. Only a short spell under Talbot in 88/89 gave hope then the wilderness arrived big time. 3rd division, stuffings at home v the likes of Swindon, Plymouth and Crewe.
The club has seen some decent years as has been said since the 2000s. An 8th place under Clarke and 8 years in a row is reasonable for our kind of club in the modern era.