Don goodman
(08-04-2019, 09:43 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 09:38 AM)CA Baggie Wrote: I think he’d have looked a twat at the end if he hadn’t recognised our control of the game.

It was 2 mins in though and he was talking about Forest’s dominance, flow of the game and players not having touches etc.  

I heard he offered to do a bit of scouting for the Albion as he was watching so many games with Sky etc and we didn’t take him up on his offer.  

Pre his commentating days he worked at the wolves and associated himself as “one of them”.

But this is a problem that all commentators have - how to describe the first 5-10 minutes of a game and to be fair last night Forest were dominant in the opening stages, and it was a significant dominance as it led to a goal. I'm not sure what you wanted him to sa

The usual cliches about a high tempo start from Forest or Albion slow to get going.  You cannot have dominance in 2 minutes, yes they started better but it wasn’t “shots in”. 

I’ve met the fella and he talks nicely about his time at the Albion, but he is one of them.  For the record I’ve met Steve Bull too and if he knows you’re Albion he’ll talk nicely about us.  I believe Goodman is the more sincere of the 2!
There was literally about 2 mins in the clock and he was proclaiming Forest were dominating and we weren't getting a sniff.

Other than that he was better than usual.

Still a prick for his commentary against Wolves. 5-1 but Wolves were oh so unlucky. Prick.
(08-04-2019, 08:19 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Not sure where there is animosity towards Goodman comes from.

Listened last night to his commentary and I think it was entirely appropriate to the game that was played.

It was clear he felt that we were the best team on the night, he even managed to give the man of the natch award to the right player.

+1 - there's some one eyed bollox being spouted here. He rightly talked up Forest in the first 10, they were the only team in it. After that he rightly talked us up.

Also thought it was interesting that we were actually talked about pre match whereas last year no matter who we played we got only passing mentions. Another side of the Bilić impact?
Bilic is good mileage in the media, bit of a loon who knows what he is talking about
Goodman is excellent on TV, in my view not anti Albion. Met him on few occasions and he’s the friendliest, most approachable ex footballer / media personality you could ever wish to meet. Really nice bloke

Some our our fans need to get a life
Sorry but even if the commentary was fair yesterday and he's a nice bloke in real life I've lost count of the games he's commentated on when I wanted to chuck the remote at the screen. If you come summon up all incarnations of this board over the years I think that would bare it out. I know we're always going to be touchy of any criticism of our team by anyone but the fella has history with some of the bollox he's spouted.
(08-04-2019, 10:38 AM)Stevel Knievel Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 08:19 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Not sure where there is animosity towards Goodman comes from.

Listened last night to his commentary and I think it was entirely appropriate to the game that was played.

It was clear he felt that we were the best team on the night, he even managed to give the man of the natch award to the right player.

+1 - there's some one eyed bollox being spouted here. He rightly talked up Forest in the first 10, they were the only team in it. After that he rightly talked us up.

Also thought it was interesting that we were actually talked about pre match whereas last year no matter who we played we got only passing mentions. Another side of the Bilić impact?

We all know Bilic can talk the hinds legs of a donkey. He knows how to hold court when given the platform as we`ve seen on Sky.

The media will demand their pound of flesh from him this season and Slav can talk football so he`ll give them what they want.. I wouldn't be surprised to see us portrayed as the Championship darlings because of who`s our manager, not so much because of the club he happens to manage.

I've always been nonplussed about Donald.
(08-04-2019, 12:24 PM)Fido Wrote: Sorry but even if the commentary was fair yesterday and he's a nice bloke in real life I've lost count of the games he's commentated on when I wanted to chuck the remote at the screen. If you come summon up all incarnations of this board over the years I think that would bare it out. I know we're always going to be touchy of any criticism of our team by anyone but the fella has history with some of the bollox he's spouted.

+1

I have friends who are Wolves fans who even say it sounds like he doesn't like us at times.

Also remember his comments last season about wanting Gayle to get banned for diving. He wouldn't shut up about it. Prick.
(08-04-2019, 12:26 PM)Sandking Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 10:38 AM)Stevel Knievel Wrote:

We all know Bilic can talk the hinds legs of a donkey. He knows how to hold court when given the platform as we`ve seen on Sky.

The media will demand their pound of flesh from him this season and Slav can talk football so he`ll give them what they want.. I wouldn't be surprised to see us portrayed as the Championship darlings because of who`s our manager, not so much because of the club he happens to manage.

I've always been nonplussed about Donald.
Nonplussed? You mean he leaves you dumbfounded?  Que?
Just to put some context here. At the start of the commentary he said the West Brom are a big club and it was an absolute honour and privilege for him to have played for us. He added something like us being a great club.