The Damned United
(04-19-2020, 08:07 PM)Fido Wrote:
(04-19-2020, 07:04 PM)MancBaggie Wrote: A masterpiece

Thought it was really good. However, if you read the book you'll feel like you've got an intravenous espresso drip connected. The nervous tension the author builds within Clough is tremendous. Same chap who wrote Red Riding, I think.

The book is so well written. I've read it several times, normally on holiday, and finish it in a day or two. May well read it again on lock down!

The Red Riding books are also very good. So dark and quite uncomfortable in places.

The Damned United film and Red Riding TV series are both excellent, but for me the books really stand out.
(04-20-2020, 07:46 AM)mpad_mark Wrote:

Thought it was really good. However, if you read the book you'll feel like you've got an intravenous espresso drip connected. The nervous tension the author builds within Clough is tremendous. Same chap who wrote Red Riding, I think.

The book is so well written. I've read it several times, normally on holiday, and finish it in a day or two. May well read it again on lock down!

The Red Riding books are also very good. So dark and quite uncomfortable in places.

The Damned United film and Red Riding TV series are both excellent, but for me the books really stand out.

The film does allude to it, of course, but from one of the most extrovert and gregarious managers the world has seen it’s the lack of self-confidence behind the scenes that it wonderfully portrays.
(04-20-2020, 07:46 AM)mpad_mark Wrote:

Didn't the book cause a bit of a furore when it came out? I seem to recall Nigel Clough being unhappy about it.