Airbus
(04-27-2020, 02:09 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote: sorry to go off at a wee bit of a tangent, but that is an interesting and common theme for processual archaeologists/historians, when you look at climate change in Europe and see how it coincides with strife / war and movements of people - not necessarily bad weather, but a change - the Viking period in the North for example came along with a period of warm favourable weather in the North Atlantic (750 - 1200) before the decline to the mini ice age - possibly it led to population pressures in Scandinavia as well as easier navigation

Speaking of tangents, there have been huge increases in populations of bark beetles. These populations are extremely temperature sensitive and even a rise of as little as a 1º in averages can lead to exponential increases in numbers; this is where it becomes relevant.

These beetles attack the bark of trees, eventually creating areas of dead wood within forests which act as tinder and fuel the rapid spread of wildfires. It's already looking likely that this has been a factor in the way that some of the recent fires in sub-tropical areas (Australia included) have been able to get a hold and spread so quickly.
(04-27-2020, 01:55 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: You can't quantify deaths directly caused by climate change

That's the only point I was trying to make.
(04-28-2020, 08:56 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 01:55 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: You can't quantify deaths directly caused by climate change

"Where has "climate change" killed a single person? Anywhere?" is a long way from the numbers not being quantifiable, however you try to spin it.
Show me where a drunk driver has killed anyone? The statistics clearly show it’s vehicles that actually cause the fatalities.
(04-28-2020, 12:16 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Show me where a drunk driver has killed anyone? The statistics clearly show it’s vehicles that actually cause the fatalities.

If you ignore the convictions for death by dangerous driving and deaths by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs it's a really good comparison
(04-28-2020, 12:36 PM)strawman Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 12:16 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Show me where a drunk driver has killed anyone? The statistics clearly show it’s vehicles that actually cause the fatalities.

If you ignore the convictions for death by dangerous driving and deaths by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs it's a really good comparison

Please clarify your point?

My point was that trying to separate the cause of something killing someone from the actual thing that did is disingenuous argument.
(04-28-2020, 12:45 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Ffs whoosh! Must be your age.

I don't think it's a whoosh - just your ageist fuckwittery. Anyway shouldn't you be improving on your negative news filter, you're slowing down
(04-28-2020, 12:50 PM)strawman Wrote:

I don't think it's a whoosh - just your ageist fuckwittery. Anyway shouldn't you be improving on your negative news filter, you're slowing down

You picked a fight. My ref to age was with my tongue firmly in cheek, was your condescension similar?

(04-28-2020, 01:11 PM)I strawman Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 12:56 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 12:36 PM)strawman Wrote: If you ignore the convictions for death by dangerous driving and deaths by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs it's a really good comparison

You picked a fight. My ref to age was with my tongue firmly in cheek, was your condescension similar?
Oh ageism is ok as long as it's tongue in cheek then?  Any other ism's ok as long as they are tongue in cheek ?I didn't pick a fight - AS you have said before if you post something then expect it to be challenged - you posted a comparison that was plainly garbage and easily disprovable - you often dish it out - plainly can't take it - keep up the job as a goalpost mover, it's good exercise. Bye now - I'd wish you a nice day but in your case that would be finding everything negative in the world, so maybe not

Old age will effect most of us I hope, I certainly want to live until I’m old and I’m sure the younger generation will blame mine for the cock ups that we (my generation) collectively have made, which is fair enough imo. It’s not meant with any malice more the fact you take umbrage at any mention of it. It was in response to your post which was condescending.  

What are you challenging? I have clarified my point (tbh I thought it was fairly clear what I meant) with what I wrote I haven’t moved any goal posts. Please explain why my analogy is garbage? You may be right but you haven’t said. 

To clarify I think drunk driving is clearly the cause of deaths not the vehicle which was my point.

(04-28-2020, 01:11 PM)strawman Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 12:36 PM)strawman Wrote: If you ignore the convictions for death by dangerous driving and deaths by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs it's a really good comparison

Oh ageism is ok as long as it's tongue in cheek then?  Any other ism's ok as long as they are tongue in cheek ?I didn't pick a fight - AS you have said before if you post something then expect it to be challenged - you posted a comparison that was plainly garbage and easily disprovable - you often dish it out - plainly can't take it - keep up the job as a goalpost mover, it's good exercise. Bye now - I'd wish you a nice day but in your case that would be finding everything negative in the world, so maybe not

Old age will effect most of us I hope, I certainly want to live until I’m old and I’m sure the younger generation will blame mine for the cock ups that we (my generation) collectively have made, which is fair enough imo. It’s not meant with any malice more the fact you take umbrage at any mention of it. It was in response to your post which was condescending.  

What are you challenging? I have clarified my point (tbh I thought it was fairly clear what I meant) with what I wrote I haven’t moved any goal posts. Please explain why my analogy is garbage? You may be right but you haven’t said. 

To clarify I think drunk driving is clearly the cause of deaths not the vehicle which was my point.

(04-28-2020, 01:11 PM)strawman Wrote:

Old age will effect most of us I hope, I certainly want to live until I’m old and I’m sure the younger generation will blame mine for the cock ups that we (my generation) collectively have made, which is fair enough imo. It’s not meant with any malice more the fact you take umbrage at any mention of it. It was in response to your post which was condescending.  

What are you challenging? I have clarified my point (tbh I thought it was fairly clear what I meant) with what I wrote I haven’t moved any goal posts. Please explain why my analogy is garbage? You may be right but you haven’t said. 

(04-28-2020, 10:36 AM)Ossian Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 08:56 AM)Protheroe Wrote:

"Where has "climate change" killed a single person? Anywhere?" is a long way from the numbers not being quantifiable, however you try to spin it.

Nope. "Climate change" has never killed a single person. In any event extreme weather deaths have never been lower, nor deaths from famine - which is rather good IMO - #despiteclimatechange. Well done humanity I say.

Not a bad trade off for cheap & reliable power, global trade, global transport etc.