I’m with the majority...
Fearful Britain
100% agree ( falls over )
Until we have a leadership with a clear plan AND all the nuts and bolts in place, rather than conjecture and 3-word soundbites, you'd be mad to want otherwise.

If they reopen schools without such in place, mine wont be going.
It's going to be see how it goes plans I expect and if doesnt work and they put the restrictions back on so be it I really havnt got a problem with it as long people are safe .
(05-03-2020, 10:45 AM)HeathAyIt Wrote: Until we have a leadership with a clear plan AND all the nuts and bolts in place, rather than conjecture and 3-word soundbites, you'd be mad to want otherwise.

I dont have a problem  with them lifting things gradually but if it doesnt work they put the restrictions back on without getting pelters for it .

I expect the things like hairdressers and barbers to open soon ....if we get a spike again close them back up it's the only way it's going to work . I would dread to tackle the schooling issue .
Those 5 points of criteria. Point 5 is the sticking point, we're on the way to achieving the first 4, the fifth is a holy grail of interpretation.
(05-03-2020, 10:54 AM)The liquidator Wrote:
(05-03-2020, 10:45 AM)HeathAyIt Wrote: Until we have a leadership with a clear plan AND all the nuts and bolts in place, rather than conjecture and 3-word soundbites, you'd be mad to want otherwise.

I dont have a problem  with them lifting things gradually but if it doesnt work they put the restrictions back on without getting pelters for it .

I expect the things like hairdressers and barbers to open soon ....if we get a spike again close them back up it's the only way it's going to work . I would dread to tackle the schooling issue .

I agree stuff has to be lifted in a sensible and orderly manner. But everywhere that is making a success of it has much better track and trace in place. I know their are privacy concerns and id usually be one of the first to flag them up but in this case im all over using the tech as well as we can. If there is one aspect of Boris that is truly positive and real he is undoubtedly a libertarian, so i think he would ensure safeguards.
I'm not surprised at that verdict, although I might have expected the %age in favour of relaxing the lockdown to be a bit higher than 17%. Which is interesting in itself, because based on what I've seen when out and about the figure would be much lower than 17%; that suggests that some of the stuff I've seen reported in the media must have had an impact on my perceptions.

Based on absolutely no science at all I'd guess there are three distinct elements at play here:
  • A perfectly understandable self-preservation instinct
  • An equally understandable reluctance to trust the political process which might underpin any relaxation
  • The third one is the tricky one; particularly so as it's based on nothing more substantial than a gut instinct. My feeling is that this last few weeks have taught many people what some of us have believed for a long time - namely that there's a madness to the way we now live in supposedly developed countries. 
Sadly it's a madness which has been, for many, inescapable: when we do 'go back' it might first be worth reflecting on what we want to go back to. There'll probably never be a better opportunity.
(05-03-2020, 10:54 AM)The liquidator Wrote:

I can't see hairdressers and barbers being amongst the first. Social distancing is still going to have to stay in place for a while, I'd expect. I would have expected being able to enforce that in a business' day to day activities would be is going to be a key driver as to whether a business can re-open. The supermarkets have adapted over the course of weeks to protect both staff and customers. I can't see barbers re-opening unless they are forced to wear protective gear and sterilise scissors after every customer.