30 years ago today
Jeez - is that Barnsley’s vhs review of 89/90

We under achieved badly that year. Started as promotion favourites before Sheff U thumped  us on the opening day. 

Scored a lot of goals considering we came 5th bottom. Just shipped loads - poor considering we had Chris Whyte and a good keeper
That point at oakwell meant we were safe. The pace of football then, compared with now is pedestrian. I was there that day. I remember the Tiler o.g. having seen it again. I had highlights on tape back then. Beachware! We took around 3,000.

Interestingly, we seem to have had a lot of 2-2 draws at Barnsley. I also went in '86 when Bobby Williamson and Garth Crooks bagged. I think I've been 8 times to Oakwell overall.Quite few draws overall - including this season. No wins for 47 years is it?

(05-05-2020, 08:41 PM)MancBaggie Wrote: Jeez - is that Barnsley’s vhs review of 89/90

We under achieved badly that year. Started as promotion favourites before Sheff U thumped  us on the opening day. 

Scored a lot of goals considering we came 5th bottom. Just shipped loads - poor considering we had Chris Whyte and a good keeper

Yes. We'd finished 9th during the 'nearly season' in 88/89. We'd led the table in early January until the Everton Cup tie wiped out Goodman. I thought we'd be in the play-off mix in 89/90. Then Sheffield Utd brought us down to earth with a bang. Still, I think in September, we did correct ourselves and have a decent run. It was Nov-Feb/March which really did us from memory. After the 7-0 v Barnsley we could hardly buy a win.
(05-06-2020, 08:25 AM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote: That point at oakwell meant we were safe. The pace of football then, compared with now is pedestrian. I was there that day. I remember the Tiler o.g. having seen it again. I had highlights on tape back then. Beachware! We took around 3,000.

Interestingly, we seem to have had a lot of 2-2 draws at Barnsley. I also went in '86 when Bobby Williamson and Garth Crooks bagged. I think I've been 8 times to Oakwell overall.Quite few draws overall - including this season. No wins for 47 years is it?

(05-05-2020, 08:41 PM)MancBaggie Wrote: Jeez - is that Barnsley’s vhs review of 89/90

Yes. We'd finished 9th during the 'nearly season' in 88/89. We'd led the table in early January until the Everton Cup tie wiped out Goodman. I thought we'd be in the play-off mix in 89/90. Then Sheffield Utd brought us down to earth with a bang. Still, I think in September, we did correct ourselves and have a decent run. It was Nov-Feb/March which really did us from memory. After the 7-0 v Barnsley we could hardly buy a win.

Only c11.500 at The Hawthorns for Ipswich. Different times.