Ratings v Blues
Blues with nothing to play for could have come and had a real go. They had absolutely nothing to lose. Instead they sat back with 10 men behind the ball for the majority of the game.

Shame they took that approach and I think under different circumstances we would have battered them but the long lay off and rustiness did for us today. 

I saw lots of positives today. The defence looked so solid and fitness looked pretty good. No injuries either. We controlled most of the game too.

Brentford need the win and will come at us. I think we'll beat them.
(06-20-2020, 05:37 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(06-20-2020, 05:26 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(06-20-2020, 04:53 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Really? Periera aside no one above a 5.

Blues came for a point and had no real intention of getting into a game... we showed little or no desire.

Johnstone 5 - tested once, made a routine save.

Furlong - 4 - that shot at the end, I’d have hauled him off and not paid him this week.
Ajayi - 5 - wasn’t tested, did his job.
Hegazi - 5 - few sloppy fouls, barely tested.
Gibbs - 5 - final ball lacked quality

Livermore - 4 - didn’t realise he was playing first half
Sawyers - 5 - one touch too many, slow and languid.
Periera - 7 - best player on the pitch, but let down by those around him

Robinson - 4 - failed to get his header on target
HRK 3 - Everything bounced off him
Phillips - 3 - stopped caring after 10 mins

——
Edwards - 4 - one decent run, but offered nothing
Austin - 3 - didn’t know he was on until his didn’t even try and connect at the death
Zohore - 3 - missed a sitter
Krov - 3 - one decent pass and fell over once
Diangana - 3 - needless backheel in a good position that set them on a break

We totally over complicated it... were awful on set pieces and just didn’t look like we wanted it. Blues had a game plan, and despite having nothing to play for showed a lot more hunger.

2 massive points dropped.

That's extraordinarily harsh and takes no account of the circumstances.

What were these circumstances?

75% of the division scored today...

We played a side missing 3 key players, with nothing to play for, and with 7 academy kids on their bench. No ifs, no buts, no maybes... today was a free hit and we failed to land a punch, or even try to...

Oh, I don't know, maybe the fact the players have had a lay off longer than they've ever had before but shorter preparation time than a normal pre-season and only 3 friendlies to home things.

Agree we barely laid a punch (hence Mark's for attackers being less than defenders) but to suggest  there was a lack of effort or players not being bothered is laughable.
And let's not underestimate the effect of playing in front of empty stands.
(06-20-2020, 06:06 PM)Peachy Wrote: Blues with nothing to play for could have come and had a real go. They had absolutely nothing to lose. Instead they sat back with 10 men behind the ball for the majority of the game.

Shame they took that approach and I think under different circumstances we would have battered them but the long lay off and rustiness did for us today. 

I saw lots of positives today. The defence looked so solid and fitness looked pretty good. No injuries either. We controlled most of the game too.

That's not how Brentford play. They are a purely counter-attacking side so don't expect them to come at us because they won't. They will probably play just as they did against Fulham, knowing that as the game goes on they have players who can capitalise on a tiring player or two, or take advantage of a mistake and overload quickly.

They are a very neat and tidy side but their defence is not the greatest. That said we'll need to get forward far more quickly than we did today. Brentford get behind the ball very quickly also so it will be interesting as they say.
(06-21-2020, 09:41 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote:
(06-20-2020, 06:06 PM)Peachy Wrote: Blues with nothing to play for could have come and had a real go. They had absolutely nothing to lose. Instead they sat back with 10 men behind the ball for the majority of the game.

That's not how Brentford play. They are a purely counter-attacking side so don't expect them to come at us because they won't. They will probably play just as they did against Fulham, knowing that as the game goes on they have players who can capitalise on a tiring player or two, or take advantage of a mistake and overload quickly.

They are a very neat and tidy side but their defence is not the greatest. That said we'll need to get forward far more quickly than we did today. Brentford get behind the ball very quickly also so it will be interesting as they say.

They have the second best defensive record in the League after Leeds.
I preferred it when we didn’t have to go through this every week, was much easier and less hassle
Watched the whole 90 mins again this morning. On reflection we played OK. Sawyers outstanding and I can’t wait to see him in the PL.
Who is he signing for ?
(06-21-2020, 09:55 AM)albion_pigeon Wrote:
(06-21-2020, 09:41 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote:

They have the second best defensive record in the League after Leeds.

Great keeper.  Big Grin
(06-21-2020, 10:33 AM)The liquidator Wrote: Who is he signing for ?

Sheffield United if we don’t get promoted.