Oldham 76
(07-15-2020, 06:58 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 03:38 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 09:26 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 08:14 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Seen a few mentions for this game on another thread. Anyone got any memories, a bit of positivity may be needed for the run in!
We went from the Wrenna pub Dudley, some older lads had hired a minibus (I hope they hired it!), and us young 'uns all piled in, cases of beer n'all. We couldn't originally get in the away end so went behind the other goal. Shortly before KO the police decided there were too many Albion fans at that end and we got marched along the touchline to the packed away end. There literally wasn't room to even step onto the terrace. I never for one moment thought we wouldn't get promoted, despite the news of Bolton winning filtering through. When that goal went in I must have surged 15 yards. Total mayhem!
We went straight to Blackpool after the game although I was barely old enough to drink and remember very little. An all time favourite away day for me.

Did/do you know Tony Harlow?

Sorry for late reply!
Yes but not at all well, I knew other family members better. The one that lived on Hillside Rd and has been in the papers, I presume? We lived just up the road.
  I left the estate in the late 70's and although I returned regularly to visit my family, life took me all over the place before settling here. I remember the details quite well as I was a regular in the Wrens Nest pub back then.

Yes, I recall buying a Daily Mail to "read all about it"!

Did you attend Mons Hill?

No. Catholic wor I.
FWIW, I think the lad got a raw deal. I don't approve (and being honest, we didn't get on with their family), but it was nothing like it was made out to be and because of his refusal to co operate, last I heard he was still inside. 40+ years in clink, not even gangsters and murderers get a sentence like that? As I say, I don't approve of what he did but it really shows our society doesn't like someone that won't conform.
(07-15-2020, 07:43 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 06:58 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 03:38 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 09:26 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 08:14 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Seen a few mentions for this game on another thread. Anyone got any memories, a bit of positivity may be needed for the run in!
We went from the Wrenna pub Dudley, some older lads had hired a minibus (I hope they hired it!), and us young 'uns all piled in, cases of beer n'all. We couldn't originally get in the away end so went behind the other goal. Shortly before KO the police decided there were too many Albion fans at that end and we got marched along the touchline to the packed away end. There literally wasn't room to even step onto the terrace. I never for one moment thought we wouldn't get promoted, despite the news of Bolton winning filtering through. When that goal went in I must have surged 15 yards. Total mayhem!
We went straight to Blackpool after the game although I was barely old enough to drink and remember very little. An all time favourite away day for me.

Did/do you know Tony Harlow?

Sorry for late reply!
Yes but not at all well, I knew other family members better. The one that lived on Hillside Rd and has been in the papers, I presume? We lived just up the road.
  I left the estate in the late 70's and although I returned regularly to visit my family, life took me all over the place before settling here. I remember the details quite well as I was a regular in the Wrens Nest pub back then.

Yes, I recall buying a Daily Mail to "read all about it"!

Did you attend Mons Hill?

No. Catholic wor I.
FWIW, I think the lad got a raw deal. I don't approve (and being honest, we didn't get on with their family), but it was nothing like it was made out to be and because of his refusal to co operate, last I heard he was still inside. 40+ years in clink, not even gangsters and murderers get a sentence like that? As I say, I don't approve of what he did but it really shows our society doesn't like someone that won't conform.

Milner?

Yes, I understand his time inside is quite extraordinary.
(07-14-2020, 09:41 PM)Jezstatham Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 07:16 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: 75/76 was the first season I went to every game, home and away, my brother in law drove us up to Oldham and this would be the last game I would go to with the man that introduced me to Football and the Baggies by taking me to the F A cup final 8 years earlier.
What happened?

He and my sister split up and later divorced, that year I turned 17, so football was with my mates from then. 4 years later I left Brum for Cornwall and never saw him again. He will always be fondly remembered for taking me to Wembley when I was 8 and starting me on this 50+ year journey.