Oldham 76
(07-14-2020, 09:38 AM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote: Still my favourite memory of following us. I was 12, went with our brother and his mate in his Triumph Herald. He knew a way to avoid the M6, over the Peak District. As we got near Oldham, we saw loads of cars, minibuses etc, with scarves out the window. Parked in a little side road, just like Coronation St, cobbles, terraced houses etc. We went in  a little pub, I could only have Vimto then. The match was great, think the crowd was 24,000, we must have taken 20,000 of that. Remember Joe Mayo, nicked the ball off one of their players , went past two or three, round the keeper, then completely missed the ball! All 3 of us ran on the pitch at the end, brilliant.
On the way back over the Peaks, we stopped at a little village pub, this time I was allowed a couple of shandies.
Don`t know how true it is, but at school on the Monday, a mate said he had listened on the radio, Tony Butler back then. After the game, Butler was talking away, then said `we`re going back to Boundary Park, our reporter is with John Osborne`. Apparently, the link didn`t work, a delay of a minute or so, then Butler says` it`s sorted we can go to our reporter`.  All they got was ` Tone, Tone, he`s pissed off Tone!`.

That was a classic Jasper Carrott sketch as part of his general skit on the mighty Tony Butler.   I'm sure those of us who were kids (or older) can remember BRMB being our only link to big games, particularly midweek, at a time when all the WM clubs were doing well.   Get yer' prayer mats out !! Fucking hell he'd have lasted 10 minutes in today's world.   How true it is God knows, although it sounds a lot like Ossie.   Other than my previous posts on another thread ( I think for once I might have started this one off), I have a vague memory of the Oldham fans-less than 20% of the crowd-running on from their end to confront our lot and thinking better of it, and a street party on the M627 after the game which was absolutely rammed.   As things have turned out I don't live too far from there now and go past the ground every time I go to Manchester, plus HWB junior the die-hard Baggie's girlfriend lives in Oldham-happy memories every time I go there.
All I can remember is I was 14, went with Sealandair and was delerious with joy!
(07-14-2020, 09:52 AM)HeavyWoollenBaggie Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 09:38 AM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote: Still my favourite memory of following us. I was 12, went with our brother and his mate in his Triumph Herald. He knew a way to avoid the M6, over the Peak District. As we got near Oldham, we saw loads of cars, minibuses etc, with scarves out the window. Parked in a little side road, just like Coronation St, cobbles, terraced houses etc. We went in  a little pub, I could only have Vimto then. The match was great, think the crowd was 24,000, we must have taken 20,000 of that. Remember Joe Mayo, nicked the ball off one of their players , went past two or three, round the keeper, then completely missed the ball! All 3 of us ran on the pitch at the end, brilliant.
On the way back over the Peaks, we stopped at a little village pub, this time I was allowed a couple of shandies.
Don`t know how true it is, but at school on the Monday, a mate said he had listened on the radio, Tony Butler back then. After the game, Butler was talking away, then said `we`re going back to Boundary Park, our reporter is with John Osborne`. Apparently, the link didn`t work, a delay of a minute or so, then Butler says` it`s sorted we can go to our reporter`.  All they got was ` Tone, Tone, he`s pissed off Tone!`.

That was a classic Jasper Carrott sketch as part of his general skit on the mighty Tony Butler.   I'm sure those of us who were kids (or older) can remember BRMB being our only link to big games, particularly midweek, at a time when all the WM clubs were doing well.   Get yer' prayer mats out !! Fucking hell he'd have lasted 10 minutes in today's world.   How true it is God knows, although it sounds a lot like Ossie.   Other than my previous posts on another thread ( I think for once I might have started this one off), I have a vague memory of the Oldham fans-less than 20% of the crowd-running on from their end to confront our lot and thinking better of it, and a street party on the M627 after the game which was absolutely rammed.   As things have turned out I don't live too far from there now and go past the ground every time I go to Manchester, plus HWB junior the die-hard Baggie's girlfriend lives in Oldham-happy memories every time I go there.
Remember listening to Butler when we won away against Galatasaray `Hail Atkinson, Hail Addison, bring it on!!` etc,etc.
Another anecdote I heard after the Oldham game was that the players, directors  and officials, stopped at a hotel on the way back to celebrate. Apparently, an Albion fan, well oiled, was staying there, and kept going up to a table occupied by Willie, Cantello, Paddy Mulligan, Mayo etc, giving it `well done ladss, I love you lot, I`ll buy you a drink,`etc. I was told Willie, getting annoyed, poured a pint over him.
(07-14-2020, 10:07 AM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 09:52 AM)HeavyWoollenBaggie Wrote:

Remember listening to Butler when we won away against Galatasaray `Hail Atkinson, Hail Addison, bring it on!!` etc,etc.
Another anecdote I heard after the Oldham game was that the players, directors  and officials, stopped at a hotel on the way back to celebrate. Apparently, an Albion fan, well oiled, was staying there, and kept going up to a table occupied by Willie, Cantello, Paddy Mulligan, Mayo etc, giving it `well done ladss, I love you lot, I`ll buy you a drink,`etc. I was told Willie, getting annoyed, poured a pint over him.

It really was quality radio at a magical time for us.   If we (or Vile, Blues etc.) were in the shit (2-0 down) the magic formula of prayer mats (FFSs) and the Butler Theme Tune-basically a reject  from the Grange Hill theme tune competition-would be invoked by way of resolution.   Probably, I can't remember, with variable results.   Certainly beats Franksy and that shower now anyhow.  Happy, happy days.
(07-14-2020, 09:40 AM)garyowensneck Wrote: Don`t know how true it is, but at school on the Monday, a mate said he had listened on the radio, Tony Butler back then. After the game, Butler was talking away, then said `we`re going back to Boundary Park, our reporter is with John Osborne`. Apparently, the link didn`t work, a delay of a minute or so, then Butler says` it`s sorted we can go to our reporter`. All they got was ` Tone, Tone, he`s pissed off Tone!`.

That was one of Jasper Carrot's specials.

It was Tony Trethewey who was the reporter.
(07-14-2020, 10:46 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 09:40 AM)garyowensneck Wrote: Don`t know how true it is, but at school on the Monday, a mate said he had listened on the radio, Tony Butler back then. After the game, Butler was talking away, then said `we`re going back to Boundary Park, our reporter is with John Osborne`. Apparently, the link didn`t work, a delay of a minute or so, then Butler says` it`s sorted we can go to our reporter`. All they got was ` Tone, Tone, he`s pissed off Tone!`.

That was one of Jasper Carrot's specials.

It was Tony Trethewey who was the reporter.

Tony Trethewey, yes, thats him. In those days we didn`t get ex players introduced as `Albion legend, Ian `Hammy` Hamilton`etc.
Or Tom Ross going on about `XTRA AM, Your Super Soaraway Soccer Station`.
(07-13-2020, 09:26 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 08:14 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Seen a few mentions for this game on another thread. Anyone got any memories, a bit of positivity may be needed for the run in!
We went from the Wrenna pub Dudley, some older lads had hired a minibus (I hope they hired it!), and us young 'uns all piled in, cases of beer n'all. We couldn't originally get in the away end so went behind the other goal. Shortly before KO the police decided there were too many Albion fans at that end and we got marched along the touchline to the packed away end. There literally wasn't room to even step onto the terrace. I never for one moment thought we wouldn't get promoted, despite the news of Bolton winning filtering through. When that goal went in I must have surged 15 yards. Total mayhem!
We went straight to Blackpool after the game although I was barely old enough to drink and remember very little. An all time favourite away day for me.

Did/do you know Tony Harlow?

Sorry for late reply!
Yes but not at all well, I knew other family members better. The one that lived on Hillside Rd and has been in the papers, I presume? We lived just up the road.
  I left the estate in the late 70's and although I returned regularly to visit my family, life took me all over the place before settling here. I remember the details quite well as I was a regular in the Wrens Nest pub back then.
Bump. Post went elsewhere!
(07-14-2020, 07:16 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: 75/76 was the first season I went to every game, home and away, my brother in law drove us up to Oldham and this would be the last game I would go to with the man that introduced me to Football and the Baggies by taking me to the F A cup final 8 years earlier.
What happened?
(07-14-2020, 03:38 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 09:26 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 08:14 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Seen a few mentions for this game on another thread. Anyone got any memories, a bit of positivity may be needed for the run in!
We went from the Wrenna pub Dudley, some older lads had hired a minibus (I hope they hired it!), and us young 'uns all piled in, cases of beer n'all. We couldn't originally get in the away end so went behind the other goal. Shortly before KO the police decided there were too many Albion fans at that end and we got marched along the touchline to the packed away end. There literally wasn't room to even step onto the terrace. I never for one moment thought we wouldn't get promoted, despite the news of Bolton winning filtering through. When that goal went in I must have surged 15 yards. Total mayhem!
We went straight to Blackpool after the game although I was barely old enough to drink and remember very little. An all time favourite away day for me.

Did/do you know Tony Harlow?

Sorry for late reply!
Yes but not at all well, I knew other family members better. The one that lived on Hillside Rd and has been in the papers, I presume? We lived just up the road.
  I left the estate in the late 70's and although I returned regularly to visit my family, life took me all over the place before settling here. I remember the details quite well as I was a regular in the Wrens Nest pub back then.

Yes, I recall buying a Daily Mail to "read all about it"!

Did you attend Mons Hill?