Foster & Dawson
I honestly don't get the animosity towards ex players, especially Foster and Dawson, we were not only relegated, we had been a basket case of a club for a while, I had seriously contemplated moving on at times in the couple of seasons leading up to relegation. These players simply moved on with their careers. I wonder if some of those that condemn these players for, in their eyes " leaving a sinking ship " the same fans that are saying, now we are promoted, get rid of certain players because they are no longer any use to us and I wonder if the bloody irony is lost on them.
I always liked Foster and have no animosity whatsoever towards hm. I never cared for Dawson, mind. While we're on the subject, Odemwingie went from hero to villain overnight but has certainly made amends with his charity things and fond talk of Albion.
Because of saying things like this

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot...94941.html

And throwing a strop refusing to go on pre season tour

J Rod showed how go about being a true professional when leaving a club. Foster on the other hand.....
(07-27-2020, 11:01 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: I honestly don't get the animosity towards ex players, especially Foster and Dawson, we were not only relegated, we had been a basket case of a club for a while, I had seriously contemplated moving on at times in the couple of seasons leading up to relegation. These players simply moved on with their careers. I wonder if some of those that condemn these players for, in their eyes " leaving a sinking ship " the same fans that are saying, now we are promoted, get rid of certain players because they are no longer any use to us and I wonder if the bloody irony is lost on them.

Spot on.
Foster’s leaving wasn’t down to him pushing for a move... the administration at the time were very keen to move him on. He would have stayed had Terraneo not been determined to cause issues. I hope wherever he goes next he succeeds.

Dawson however threw a strop all preseason after relegation,, categorically gave zero fucks and sulked for most of the year and only really showed any desire when it looked like we may get promoted. He then refused to go on preseason so for me this is his just rewards

We’re better off without either of them, but Foster I’d applaud on his return, Dawson less so.
The animosity comes from the fact they behaved like spoilt brats to try to force a move. They didn't just try to move on with their careers.

No problem with putting in a transfer request - its the striking that annoys people. Comparing that to us trying to "move players on" is barmy. I'm sure we'd like to just terminate Burke's contract, but we can't, so we have to keep paying him. In the same way, players like Dawson can't just pick and choose when they want out, like we can't pick and choose when to stop paying Burke. He's a twat, and a massively over rated one at that (as Watford have now found out). The one good thing about Villa staying up is seeing Dawson now back in the champ 12 months after leaving us for something better.

Fans have no problem with players wanting to move. Its when they want it both ways (long contract, but want to get out of it when they feel like it) that annoys fans.
where's last seasons team photo with Dawson looking extremely moody?
(07-27-2020, 11:41 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote: The animosity comes from the fact they behaved like spoilt brats to try to force a move. They didn't just try to move on with their careers.

No problem with putting in a transfer request - its the striking that annoys people. Comparing that to us trying to "move players on" is barmy. I'm sure we'd like to just terminate Burke's contract, but we can't, so we have to keep paying him. In the same way, players like Dawson can't just pick and choose when they want out, like we can't pick and choose when to stop paying Burke. He's a twat, and a massively over rated one at that (as Watford have now found out). The one good thing about Villa staying up is seeing Dawson now back in the champ 12 months after leaving us for something better.

Fans have no problem with players wanting to move. Its when they want it both ways (long contract, but want to get out of it when they feel like it) that annoys fans.

It will be interesting to see how Foster & Dawson behave over the next couple of months.  Leopards and spots spring to mind.
Water under the bridge, and no thanks to a reprise.