Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today’s Ratings
(01-14-2018, 10:40 AM)AnelkasBeard Wrote:
(01-13-2018, 09:27 PM)Tetley74 Wrote:
(01-13-2018, 09:05 PM)74bus Wrote:
(01-13-2018, 07:47 PM)Statto Wrote: Foster made two brilliant takes look easy, one in each half. Took the pressure off the whole team.

Good solid performance and the all played well. Back four were superb.

Wouldn't swap the current back four+keeper with any combination outside of the big boys, and even then, I'd struggle with some of them.
I can't pay them a greater compliment than, if choosing between Godden, Batson, Wile, Robertson, Statham, or Foster, Dawson, Evans, Hegazi, Gibbs, I'd find  it a  tricky choice. Obviously, on other parts of the pitch, the late 70's team was miles better, but at the back, only Statham would be an absolute shoo-in.
Just as P.S. We've missed Morrison and Chadli through injury this season, because we need their creative abliity, but the one player we've missed most is Dawson. An absolute gem in both areas. We're lucky to have him.
How he never gets an England call up is bloody criminal.

Unfortunately Daws will never get ahead of Walker or Clyne etc because of his slight disadvantage of pace against them. He should, but he won't.

There are simply too many better players ahead of Dawson in each position he can play:

RB: Walker is first choice, then Clyne when fit. Then Trippier. Of course if we’re playing wing backs then Dawson doesn’t stand a chance there.

CB: Cahill, Stones, Smalling, Jones, Dier, Keane, Maguire and maybe even Gibson are all ahead of him. They all have years of experience playing CB, Dawson has what? 20 games?
(01-13-2018, 10:49 PM)ReginaldsRod Wrote:
(01-13-2018, 05:57 PM)Gewonenzow Wrote: Hegazi was absolutely immense today, got behind everything. Man of the match.

Rondon did very well. We look at his goalscoring record and it isn’t great, but the Brighton fans on the way out of the ground were eulogising about the way he bullied their centre halves. I still have faith in him.

Barry, Daws and Evans all excellent as well.

Were they really eulogising him though? He isn't committed enough in tackles or getting to the ball ahead of the opposition. His severe lack of finesse and heart has cost us greatly this season. If we had a half decent striker we wouldn't be in the position we find ourselves in. 

A lot of people seem to say 'he was everywhere', wasn't Shane long everywhere and a lot of Albion fans couldn't wait to see the back of him. Longy ran his socks off and assisted goals as well as scored them but was deemed not good enough.

Yes, they were singing his praises. It was their view that Rondon put the defence under so much pressure that they couldn’t get their own play going from back to front.

I agree his goalscoring record isn’t the best and we do need reinforcements. I also think if we got a creative midfielder and a second striker in and around him, his goals to games ratio would improve.

I’m not sure JRod is the answer. I do think a Deeney/Rondon partnership could work - it would scare the living daylights out of defences. The caveat is that this partnership would need a bit of finesse and guile playing in behind them. Maybe Chadli, maybe Mozza, maybe a signing like Pascal Gross.
Rondon. He's the best we've got. No amount of abuse whether on the field or the internet will make him better. He has his good points, needs a bit of help or maybe, if we can afford the luxury, someone similar to alternate games with. I appreciate what he does do and don't expect him to do what he can't.

Dawson. Really showing us what we've missed. I wasn't a huge fan in his early days, I was wrong. Great part of the team. England? Well, he ain't better than Walker so that's that. 

Barry. MOM yesterday. Apart from a shaky spell under the previous regime, he's been excellent.

Greg. Yep, there's a player there. As Lightnin says, one touch, move it fast. I'm not sure the rest of the squad are ready for it yet. For me, Field is a good option in that position but that's just an example of how unbalanced we became.

Foster. Little to do but the mark of a good keeper is when called on in a game like that. He was up to it, as he normally is. I would like to see a bit more in this Sam Johnson rumour though as he'd be ideal competition, but he might not fancy being a no.2.
I know we all see the game differently, and that Rondon has been, at times, rightly criticised, but yesterday he really was immense and I cannot believe some of the flak he is getting on here. The two commentators on the stream I watched were particularly impressed.
(01-14-2018, 01:45 PM)Dickie Davies Wrote: I know we all see the game differently, and that Rondon has been, at times, rightly criticised, but yesterday he really was immense and I cannot believe some of the flak he is getting on here. The two commentators on the stream I watched were particularly impressed.

Yes, agreed. He led the line very well.
Rondon got a 6 in most papers today.....
(01-14-2018, 04:06 PM)Our Mate Hegazi Wrote: Rondon got a 6 in most papers today.....

I'd say that was probably about right for a good performance by a forward without scoring a goal.
(01-14-2018, 04:11 PM)Choronzonbaggie Wrote:
(01-14-2018, 04:06 PM)Our Mate Hegazi Wrote: Rondon got a 6 in most papers today.....

I'd say that was probably about right for a good performance by a forward without scoring a goal.

Careful agreeing with me - wee Seamus O’Flearthy will call you out.
Rondon had a good game, held the ball up well, brought others into play and was a thorn in the side of their central defence. His performance deserved an 7 or 8. The national newspapers would struggle to pick out Rondon in an identity parade.
10 out of 10 all round. Much needed 3 points. More important than individual scores.