More madness, or the right thing to do ?
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/j...and-mascot
Exeter of course is well known for its Native American community...
Saw this on SSN the other day, also I see there's now suggestions the Commonwealth Games should be scrapped because of it's links to colonialism.
(07-29-2020, 01:44 PM)Psalm23 Wrote: Saw this on SSN the other day, also I see there's now suggestions the Commonwealth Games should be scrapped because of it's links to colonialism.

Will Smethwick still get its pool?
Right thing to do, not because it's potentially offensive to Native Americans but because rugby team nicknames being prevalent in the name of the club has been one of the most stupidest and pointless professionalism changes in club rugby and the mascot is fucking stupid.

Why did they go for the Americanised crap anyway? Absolutely embarrassing, tribal chiefs have historically British connotations with the ancient Celts, just go with that.
(07-29-2020, 01:54 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: Right thing to do, not because it's potentially offensive to Native Americans but because rugby team nicknames being prevalent in the name of the club has been one of the most stupidest and pointless professionalism changes in club rugby and the mascot is fucking stupid.

Why did they go for the Americanised crap anyway? Absolutely embarrassing, tribal chiefs have historically British connotations with the ancient Celts, just go with that.

The Exter Morris Dancers has a nice ring to it.
(07-29-2020, 02:01 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 01:54 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: Right thing to do, not because it's potentially offensive to Native Americans but because rugby team nicknames being prevalent in the name of the club has been one of the most stupidest and pointless professionalism changes in club rugby and the mascot is fucking stupid.

The Exter Morris Dancers has a nice ring to it.

I prefer Seal Fucking Cunts.
I find this kind of thing really annoying. The so called native American Indians were merely fuggin' invaders from Asia anyway.
It’s just a naff name. I assume there might be some historic reason given it dates back to the 1930s but really? Surely some clever marketing can come up with something better Wink

The Exeter Witch Finder Generals perhaps?

In August 1682, three women were the last to be tried for witch craft related activities. Six days after being found guilty they were hanged just outside Exeter.
(07-29-2020, 01:44 PM)Psalm23 Wrote: Saw this on SSN the other day, also I see there's now suggestions the Commonwealth Games should be scrapped because of it's links to colonialism.

I don't think there's any getting away from the colonialism link regarding the Commonwealth games, but I'm sure if the individual countries had any objections they wouldn't compete anyway?