Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
Cyrille Regis - tributes and messages
I was on holiday when the awful news about Cyrille came through on Sky Sports News. I could only read West Bromwich Albion on the banner thing at the bottom of the screen and asked my Hubble who was nearer to the tv than me to tell me what it said. Like everyone else I couldn't believe it, only 59 and seemingly in great shape. I remember his first match against Rotherham in the cup and couldn't believe that a 17 year old could have that physique and power. Also remember the Brummie Rd End chanting for him to take the penalty after him scoring one earlier. He was my first Albion hero and much later when he had retired and was sitting a few rows in front of me at the Hawthorns I remember becoming completely tongue tied and just smiled inanely at him, when I really wanted to go and chat with the great man.
Saturday will be an extremely emotional afternoon for me and I'm sure many others.
may you rest in peace Cyrille was there for your debut , gone but never ever forgotten , thoughts with your family today
God bless you big fella, and your lovely family. Some tears today, and more on Saturday no doubt. Thank you for being the spark to my Albion flame.
December 30th 1978

I was in Dundee visiting my aunt and uncle and cousins with my mom and dad being a lad of 10.
I was allowed to stay up to watch Sportscene which showed a Scottish game and then highlights of a English game.
We didn't know the score but knew it was going to show Man U v Baggies and still remember the presenter say " now we have a great game from Old Trafford"
What followed was the stuff of legend and of course Cyrille,Laurie,Bomber,Cantello and Ally Brown showed us how special they were.

My uncle sat with a glass of his favourite single malt and asked who the big fast powerful striker was?

My old man and I turned round and said " that's our Cyrille....."

Rest easy big fella
One of the best players in the best team I've ever seen down the Albion. An awful shame that they didn't win a trophy but they brought so much joy to Baggies fans and were the team that every neutral loved watching. 
R.I.P. Cyrille.
(01-30-2018, 12:58 PM)David Mills Wrote: December 30th 1978

I was in Dundee visiting my aunt and uncle and cousins with my mom and dad being a lad of 10.
I was allowed to stay up to watch Sportscene which showed a Scottish game and then highlights of a English game.
We didn't know the score but knew it was going to show Man U v Baggies and still remember the presenter say " now we have a great game from Old Trafford"
What followed was the stuff of legend and of course Cyrille,Laurie,Bomber,Cantello and Ally Brown showed us how special they were.

My uncle sat with a glass of his favourite single malt and asked who the big fast powerful striker was?

My old man and I turned round and said " that's our Cyrille....."

Rest easy big fella

Great post DM. Reckon Gerald Sinstadt introduced that game

Good write up of todays service in the guardian and decent piece by Kenan Malik