Fanzines
(07-29-2020, 12:26 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: I'm pretty sure I've got all of the GDs and most, if not all, of the other ones that were dedicated to us and they're all in a box in my old bedroom at my dad's. I couldn't get enough of them before I discovered the rivals bored. Given the period that they were popular, I think they would be a must-see for anyone who ever fancied writing a book about our 'dark days'. It was always noticeable how much more content there was in these when we were doing particularly badly.

Apart from buying the fanzines off the GD team, the only time I spoke to them was when I took a mate of mine to a game, who happened to be an editor of a fledgling Villa fanzine. Naively thinking that there'd be a camaraderie amongst fanzine editors, I introduced my mate to Simon Wright who was very rude and said something along the lines of "I thought I could smell fish". Me and my mate just walked off, a bit bemused. Big Grin

Danebury Metal Detecting Club v Dirt Sharks
(07-29-2020, 12:08 PM)hudds Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 11:09 AM)MrFizz Wrote: Simon wrote an enjoyable book 'Flight of The Throstle Part 1' about the trials and tribulations of the late-80's/early-90's which was a good read. Pity that i dont think theres been a 'Part 2' . Wonder if thats because of the supposed Megson 'thing'?

Glynis published "Dreaming Of The Greed League", which was a compilation of her diaries.  Had some "interesting" reviews...

The Diary used to be published on this Dump/Bored when it was Rivals but got pulled by the hipsters (who are now all old men running multinational empires or chip vans).
I'll have a look for that. Might pass an hour or two.
(07-29-2020, 12:26 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: I'm pretty sure I've got all of the GDs and most, if not all, of the other ones that were dedicated to us and they're all in a box in my old bedroom at my dad's. I couldn't get enough of them before I discovered the rivals bored. Given the period that they were popular, I think they would be a must-see for anyone who ever fancied writing a book about our 'dark days'. It was always noticeable how much more content there was in these when we were doing particularly badly.

Apart from buying the fanzines off the GD team, the only time I spoke to them was when I took a mate of mine to a game, who happened to be an editor of a fledgling Villa fanzine. Naively thinking that there'd be a camaraderie amongst fanzine editors, I introduced my mate to Simon Wright who was very rude and said something along the lines of "I thought I could smell fish". Me and my mate just walked off, a bit bemused. Big Grin

Nice one, Simon.
Last time I said hello to terry wills was at qpr away when we got promoted he had a mask on top of his head and a pair of tracksuit bottoms with a pair of shoes on bless him .....I heard he has dementia god bless him.....one of the first to say the greed league how right he was .

The voice of Albion on radio wm . Lol
(07-29-2020, 10:27 AM)igorbalis Wrote: Special mention to When Saturday Comes - Still around today and probably where it all started - anyone remember the campaign against the tory's plan to bring in ID cards - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlQEYT59Yi0

Never forget that Sid, of this parish, along with Adrian Goldberg and the recently departed Steve Beauchampe, was right at the forefront of the fanzine explosion with Off The Ball, which predated When Saturday Comes by a matter of weeks in early 1986. It only ran from 16 (or thereabouts) issues but at the time was a worthy companion to WSC.
(07-29-2020, 03:29 PM)Old Stroller Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 10:27 AM)igorbalis Wrote: Special mention to When Saturday Comes - Still around today and probably where it all started - anyone remember the campaign against the tory's plan to bring in ID cards - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlQEYT59Yi0

Never forget that Sid, of this parish, along with Adrian Goldberg and the recently departed Steve Beauchampe, was right at the forefront of the fanzine explosion with Off The Ball, which predated When Saturday Comes by a matter of weeks in early 1986. It only ran from 16 (or thereabouts) issues but at the time was a worthy companion to WSC.

It was brilliant. Especially the Michael Jackson/Souness front cover one. They used to sell it on the left of the Brummie at the back. We used to cross the divide from 'the right side' to buy them.
(07-28-2020, 09:16 PM)mickeypearce Wrote: Not a fanzine but I remember the Baggies newspaper which was as a decent read from the early to mid 90’s era.

I used to subscribe to that back in the 90s. In the pre internet days, it was where I got most of my Albion news from. Very much enjoyed it. Glenn Willmore was behind it if I remember rightly.

Not that Dave Woodhall  by any chance? He really doesn't like Albion.