Matheus, Krov, Diang & Robinson
(08-06-2020, 11:20 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 10:54 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: I think the article shared on here with quotes from Jenkins is very telling.

I wouldnt be surprised if several Premier League clubs avoid fee paying transfers this summer. Budgets are completely different this summer, and if we're interested in Championship players, we'll be better waiting until towards the windows end when clubs get desperate to sell

May really be a case of which clubs are best qt hunting bargains and free transfers.
Agree Birdy. And the article reinforces we arent going to be spending big.we desperately need a goalscorer, but you cant see too much else.

The articles confirms what I’ve postered previously, we will utilise the loan market to the fullest and it’s going to be difficult for us to offload players to lower divisions who have little or no cash coming in. 

Oh, and no fans in grounds in 2020. 

Thank fuck we got promoted.
(08-07-2020, 04:52 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 11:20 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 10:54 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: I think the article shared on here with quotes from Jenkins is very telling.

I wouldnt be surprised if several Premier League clubs avoid fee paying transfers this summer. Budgets are completely different this summer, and if we're interested in Championship players, we'll be better waiting until towards the windows end when clubs get desperate to sell

May really be a case of which clubs are best qt hunting bargains and free transfers.
Agree Birdy. And the article reinforces we arent going to be spending big.we desperately need a goalscorer, but you cant see too much else.

The articles confirms what I’ve postered previously, we will utilise the loan market to the fullest and it’s going to be difficult for us to offload players to lower divisions who have little or no cash coming in. 

Oh, and no fans in grounds in 2020. 

Thank fuck we got promoted.

Great article, and I think Jenkins is spot on.
Beyond cash, there are about three or four important factors that go into creating success:

1. Is the club well run as a business?

2. Is there a sense of togetherness (us under Hodgson)/running through walls (Sheff. Utd)/Crazy Gang (Wimbledon) among the squad?

3. Is the trainer team adept as spotting and nurturing talent from within the ranks (academy)?

4. Is the manager/trainer genuinely innovative and tactically adept?

There may be other factors that others will want to add (home support, etc). However, I think we're pretty good on factors One, Three, and Four. Factor Two might be our Achilles heel in terms of psychological strength and resilience. 

Despite my well-documented (Dumbo) doom saying of the past, I am approaching the new season with considerable optimism and think we will navigate well in this new footballing world. 16th.
The concerning point is that we’re going to have to spend a lot of money just to keep the same quality of squad we finished last season with - let alone improve it.

That’s one of biggest issues with relying on loans to get you promoted
A sobering thought on the new order of football finances, in this quote from BBC football gossip. 

Bayern Munich's 29-year-old Spanish midfielder Thiago Alcantara wants to move to Liverpool, but "The Reds would have to sell players to generate transfer funds." 
(08-07-2020, 06:21 AM)Loanee Wrote: The concerning point is that we’re going to have to spend a lot of money just to keep the same quality of squad we finished last season with - let alone improve it.

Yes, that’s a slight worry. Our squad is currently even worse than the squad that finished last season. (Loans)
(08-07-2020, 06:21 AM)Loanee Wrote: The concerning point is that we’re going to have to spend a lot of money just to keep the same quality of squad we finished last season with - let alone improve it.

Or we find some more quality loans from abroad like last season. Pereira and Krovinovic would have been available on loan last year regardless of whether we were in the Prem or Champ. There must be other ones out there.
(08-06-2020, 06:13 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 03:35 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 03:26 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 03:09 PM)MassDebater Wrote: I really can't see us getting Diang, even though that would send a big message. Especially if it was only £20m. That said I have some reservations about his injury prone ways, he does seem to pick up knocks here and there and then miss games through them. Still would love to see him here though.

Robinson, I think if we could get him for £4m then do it, otherwise move on and look abroad.

Krov I am fairly convinced will be here next year, either loan to perm or permanent straight off, I think he really wants to be here and that will play a part in the decisions (anyone know what contract length he has at Benfica?)

(08-06-2020, 03:03 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: You know the point I'm making Duffers. We can't spend that much of our limited budget in just one position.

And I expect much stiffer competition for Johnstone in goal next season. He may start with the jersey, but he will have to improve on his weaknesses to retain it.

I disagree, if we are Sheffield Uniting it, then £20m on Diang, £15-£20m on a striker, then 3 or 4 others around £4m each brings us in on budget.

But we have forward financed £6M of the Dawson fee in December, we have Pereira to pay for, and if we take Krov and Robinson to pay for as well, if we keep them. That's £30M in cost gone, and the team is without Diang at that point.

I imagine we could just structure them like the Gibbs deal and only pay 50p for them?

We have the Ferguson money, the second installment of Rodriguez cash (it was 5+5) and the next chunk of the £17m we received for Rondon to play with too...

Have a look at the Contingent Obligations in the accounts. That's a good starting point for the money we owe on transfers 

I also keep pointing out that if we are relegated in year 1, we only have 2 years of parachutes, so we have to provide for year 4 of any 4 year contracts if we are relegated. You cant just rely on selling assets, because they may have no value.

Sorry guys, I personally cannot see any more than a £20M net spend after/if  the loans of Pereira and Krov are made permanent.

Because there was a buy-out clause for Rondon didn't they have to stump up the fee in one go?