Feb 1972
As a twelve year old, I went with a family friend to Villa Park to see them play Santos in a friendly, it was right in the middle of the miners strike and inevitable power cuts, the match was played with three working floodlights, but I had gone to see one man, the great Pele and was thrilled to get his autograph through someone the family friend knew at the Villa, a treasured trophy, now I was privileged in hindsight to see the greats at the shrine in the flesh such as Best and Charlton, but it was drummed into me by my brother in law that got me into football and the Baggies, you come to watch Albion. Fast forward 52 years and I have always been like that, in the years that we have been in the prem, I have never cared who have turned out for the opposition, that's what they are, the opposition. Then came the anomaly that I never did and still don't understand, different pricing for different opposition, I go to watch the Baggies, not them. Now we are back at the top table, I just wondered if I've turned into an old fart, or do others feel the same.
Always been my view Cornish - when I 1st started going up I can remember Ardiles and Villa playing for spurs and me giving them dogs abuse (well the dogs abuse that a 10 year old can give) for rolling around, it was never about the other team but if I happened to see some stars along the way then that was a bonus - Zola was the only one I can remember clapping and thinking 'he's alright ay ee'
I was there that night. My biggest memory was the gasp of the crowd when they scored with the free kick. It was the first time I had seen a ball bent around a wall.
My dad took a few pictures of me aged 5 at the March 71 4-3 vs Man U-sat on the Rainbow paddock wall (Smethwick side)-with, variously, Jeff and the Man U greats just in front of us on the pitch. They are certainly treasured memories, but only because of the photos I guess. Otherwise, no, I haven't given 2 shits about who we're playing against in 50 years-certainly can't be arsed with this modern day lets go an admire them while they give us a twatting bollocks. I guess Valencia/Kempes/Bonhof in 78 might have been an exception because it was so unusual.
I'm about your vintage, Cornish. I did used to get excited about seeing the opposition way back. The famous players you'd seen on the chewing gum cards and so on. Only one game on Match of the Day as well so it was a rare treat to see Alan Clarke, Bremner, Hunt, St.John, Greaves, Mackay, Osgood, Colin Bell and the like. Man Utd was different, lots of girls present and that wasn't usual back then. Plus, we always seemed to beat them!
These days I don't care who is playing. They are all overpriced, overpaid theatricals. It's Albion I want to see. Funnily enough, this is backed up by the fact I often don't bother with live games involving other sides any more.
I agree the only 'big name' opposition player i've walked away thinking "i'm glad i saw him" was Zola. Ran rings around us that day for Chelsea but no swagger or arrogance about him. Just bags of talent and happy doing his stuff. Get the impression he would have played for food parcels and still had a smile on his face.
(08-11-2020, 04:29 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:  It's Albion I want to see. Funnily enough, this is backed up by the fact I often don't bother with live games involving other sides any more.

This is how I feel. I binned Sky etc. off once we started going again. Not really interested in anything other than Albion. England fans can do one an all.
(08-11-2020, 04:37 PM)Mr vertical Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 04:29 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:  It's Albion I want to see. Funnily enough, this is backed up by the fact I often don't bother with live games involving other sides any more.

This is how I feel. I binned Sky etc. off once we started going again. Not really interested in anything other than Albion. England fans can do one an all.

For a multitude of reasons my interest in football (not Albion) has slowly been evaporating, to the extent that I only watched one top flight game last season. It was West Ham's final game and it was gutting to see them lose that particular contest.
There was that Zola display, and Buzaglo that spring to mind about appreciating the opposition. Other than that none spring to mind, and for me it's all about us. It's probably why I can't watch TV games unless it's us or England (in a meaningful game) playing.
I enjoy watching other football games, although I’ve probably watched less PL games this year and last following our relegation than ever.

Agree with the sentiment on here... I’ve never gone to one of our games thinking about watching an opposition player despite there having been some great individuals and teams coming to the Hawthorns over the last couple decades.

There have certainly been performances and goals by opponents I’ve thought were excellent, but I can’t say as I’ve ever enjoyed seeing anyone play well against us.