Perry Barr Legacy?
(08-12-2020, 07:26 AM)SausEggBaton Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 07:45 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 05:58 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote: They've completely fooked everything up round there and driving round it is frickin nightmare. When they knock down the A34 flyover it will be bedlam! Avoid at all costs.

As for the athletes village, you could have seen that coming a mile off to be honest. Prime location for student accommodation or private property development. In hindsight the area has needed it for decades so at least it will get upgraded.

Eh?

I'm not well versed on BCU but aren't they consolidating everything around Millenium Point now? Aston is already there of course and I doubt many at UoB will commute down from Perry Barr to Edgbaston/Selly Oak.

I think they're still planning on completing the construction though so it should still be available social housing. That's what the statement said, the only issue was Covid delays meant that it won't be ready for the Commonwealth Games.

I meant in my post that the athletes village was a pie in the sky sweetener, and the private/housing property development was always the forethought of the developers minds. To have the "village" fully ready in time (considering the disruption to the surrounding areas) was always a project planners finger in the air estimate. 

Having grew up, up the road from the Alexander, and witnessed many an international competition there, including the transportation of athletes to and from over the years, the athletes have always (and was always going to) stayed in the plentyful high end hotels in the surrounding areas, and be ferried in.

I think this was genuine, the plans were supposed to be spread out over 6 years instead of the 3 it's been due to the games being relocated to Birmingham, and the 4 month delay hasn't helped at all with that already tight schedule.

As for the hotel bit, the Commonwealth Games is a bit bigger than the typical athletics tournament so you can't rely on the same hotels. Manchester used student accommodation and Glasgow made loads of social housing, the plans are still for construction to continue so there should still be houses at the end of it.
Every major city has a decent legacy from a major sports event.

Manchester had the Etihad and velodrome, London the Olympic Stadium. Both of them and Glasgow had major housing schemes off the villages.

What will Birmingham end up with? A swimming baths in Smethwick.