Sweeping Generalisation
(08-30-2020, 12:21 PM)JOK Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 09:50 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: [Image: 4PpHMJSlQ3CfjYTLHI2I_mail-sun-front_1598734959_001.png]

[Image: 12sMzkXTEKR5lF0qr8vg_a4-independentdigit...30_001.png]

Metro ...

[Image: PRC_162653115.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&z...C252&ssl=1]

A weekend in U.K.
Of course there isn’t a Guardian front page today to compare. But you can get this in the Mail’s online site

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...ondon.html

There are more pages to a printed paper than the front one. Do you know what is in the insides?
Still doesn’t explain why there is no mention anywhere on the Beeb’s site.

There wasn’t a cover for the Guardian on the BBC or Sky News newspaper round-up they tend to rotate the papers they show daily. However the lead headline focuses on the poll that shows the current government are now neck and neck with Labour and the concerns of leading back bench Conservative’s over the numerous u-turns they have done and the subsequent slump in the polls. 

I put the headlines up to show a snap shot of the current discourse in UK politics in 2020. 

The BBC should have ran with the story but it’s hardly a black and white argument. For example giving legitimacy / the air of publicity to a protest where a leading protagonist and speaker David ‘Son of God‘ Icke and an audience brandishing placards saying Covid 19 is a hoax, demanding no lockdown and no vaccination is that helpful at this time. Balance does not always mean you treat those with rational opinion the same as those whose opinions are based on conspiracy theories.
What's the old journalism 101 saying, "if one person is saying its raining and another is saying its dry, it's not your responsibility to print both sides of the story, it's your responsibility to look out the window and see who is right".

No one should be giving airtime to Icke and his bunch of dangerous morons who think covid is a hoax or vaccines are bad.
(08-30-2020, 01:27 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 09:50 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: [Image: 4PpHMJSlQ3CfjYTLHI2I_mail-sun-front_1598734959_001.png]

Metro ...

A weekend in U.K.
Of course there isn’t a Guardian front page today to compare. But you can get this in the Mail’s online site

There are more pages to a printed paper than the front one. Do you know what is in the insides?

There wasn’t a cover for the Guardian on the BBC or Sky News newspaper round-up they tend to rotate the papers they show daily. However the lead headline focuses on the poll that shows the current government are now neck and neck with Labour and the concerns of leading back bench Conservative’s over the numerous u-turns they have done and the subsequent slump in the polls. 

I put the headlines up to show a snap shot of the current discourse in UK politics in 2020. 

The BBC should have ran with the story but it’s hardly a black and white argument. For example giving legitimacy / the air of publicity to a protest where a leading protagonist and speaker David ‘Son of God‘ Icke and an audience brandishing placards saying Covid 19 is a hoax, demanding no lockdown and no vaccination is that helpful at this time. Balance does not always mean you treat those with rational opinion the same as those whose opinions are based on conspiracy theories.

I’m sorry but I believe your intention in putting those pages up was to say ‘look, these papers didn’t mention it either’. 
No need to get upset or defensive, obviously   Angel
(08-30-2020, 02:14 PM)JOK Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 01:27 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Metro ...

A weekend in U.K.

I’m sorry but I believe your intention in putting those pages up was to say ‘look, these papers didn’t mention it either’. 

...and this is why you shouldn’t believe in conspiracy theories.
(08-30-2020, 01:36 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: What's the old journalism 101 saying, "if one person is saying its raining and another is saying its dry, it's not your responsibility to print both sides of the story, it's your responsibility to look out the window and see who is right".

No one should be giving airtime to Icke and his bunch of dangerous morons who think covid is a hoax or vaccines are bad.

So why did the BBC report on the Berlin protest where people demonstrated for the same reason?
(08-30-2020, 02:50 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 01:27 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: There wasn’t a cover for the Guardian on the BBC or Sky News newspaper round-up they tend to rotate the papers they show daily. However the lead headline focuses on the poll that shows the current government are now neck and neck with Labour and the concerns of leading back bench Conservative’s over the numerous u-turns they have done and the subsequent slump in the polls. 

? How is that a lesson in not to believe in conspiracy theories? What conspiracy rubbish do you think I believe?  Genuinely confused with that reply, sorry.
The only theories I have regarding this thread is,
A,  despite your initial “before anyone gets upset or defensive “ line in the op, you did intend it to be inflammatory and to raise a bite. And 
B, you did intend to suggest that those papers, like the BBC, didn’t run the story.

Is it the BBC’s job to determine who’s theory is rational or is it to report events such as mass-ish rallies in the capital? And if you think it is it’s job and they determined that the nutters in London shouldn’t  be given air time, why give the German nutters that platform?
(08-30-2020, 04:30 PM)JOK Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 02:50 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 01:27 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: There wasn’t a cover for the Guardian on the BBC or Sky News newspaper round-up they tend to rotate the papers they show daily. However the lead headline focuses on the poll that shows the current government are now neck and neck with Labour and the concerns of leading back bench Conservative’s over the numerous u-turns they have done and the subsequent slump in the polls. 

No need to get upset or defensive, obviously   :angel:

? How is that a lesson in not to believe in conspiracy theories? What conspiracy rubbish do you think I believe?  Genuinely confused with that reply, sorry.
The only theories I have regarding this thread is,
A,  despite your initial “before anyone gets upset or defensive “ line in the op, you did intend it to be inflammatory and to raise a bite. And 
B, you did intend to suggest that those papers, like the BBC, didn’t run the story.

Is it the BBC’s job to determine who’s theory is rational or is it to report events such as mass-ish rallies in the capital? And if you think it is it’s job and they determined that the nutters in London shouldn’t  be given air time, why give the German nutters that platform?

A light hearted joke regarding you telling me what my intentions were to putting the newspaper front covers up. My motivation was to show that the subjects covered by my opening post were pertinent and timely to what is happening in this country in 2020. Not that I have to with due respect.

As for the BBC they imo should have reported it as I said but reporting conspiracy theorists arriving on mass, some with very dubious affiliations without questioning the nonsense behind it is dangerous. It will give them legitimacy their views don’t deserve. I have no idea why they reported similar nonsense in Germany, perhaps email them and ask?