Sweeping Generalisation
The same BBC that have mocked up images of Rishi Sunak looking like Superman and Jeremy Corbyn wearing a Cossack hat stood outside the Krelim with a hammer and sickle background.

Yep, screams anti-Tory to me.

Apologies for the repeat posts, it's not displaying when clicking reply.
(08-26-2020, 07:32 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 07:31 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: stating the BBC’s narrative with regards face masks in schools is extreme is well a little black and white and erm extreme.

No, it's not. Once again this morning the BBC's line is that it will not be satisfied until masks are mandatory in secondary schools. It is an extreme viewpoint with no basis in scientific evidence.

I love your phraseology there - wearing facemarks in school is hardly extremist, they're not exactly demanding that all children take the knee and pledge allegiance to BLM before being allowed in  Big Grin

And this is a new virus with very little scientific evidence any way you look, wearing masks seems reasonably sensible in shared areas, I'm not certain about in the classroom but until we do have any scientific evidence it can't harm them. Fuck me a couple of weeks ago you were telling kids to man up and get a mobile disco as a bit of adversity doesn't harm them, now you're saying a bit of cloth over their mouth and noses will damage their future self FFS
I'm not saying that at all. I'm just against forced conformity in the face of no evidence. It's the thin end of a very thick wedge.
Well why use words like 'extreme viewpoint' - it isn't really is it? You seem to be paranoid that if you give an inch on any civil liberties, in this case the choice to wear a mask or not, then it won't be long before we are all chanting God Save Putin. The reality is that it is actually a reasonable idea whilst this virus is around, they're not going to become mandatory school uniforms.
(08-26-2020, 09:52 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Well why use words like 'extreme viewpoint' - it isn't really is it? You seem to be paranoid that if you give an inch on any civil liberties, in this case the choice to wear a mask or not, then it won't be long before we are all chanting God Save Putin. The reality is that it is actually a reasonable idea whilst this virus is around, they're not going to become mandatory school uniforms.

I think what agitates people is the seemingly never ending 180 degree turns that are being made. Two days ago there was little point to wearing a mask according to Jenny Harries - now they have changed the rules. 

You can claim that 'they are following the science' or 'the science has changed' etc and that would be a fair point if they gave concrete instructions. Scotland have said the kids must wear face masks in corridors etc whilst in England this is only required in areas of local lockdown. In other areas of the country the choice to impose masks is left to the school to decide. Well let's hope that Mr Brown the headmaster has got time to flick through his old science notes to ensure he makes the correct decision. The science is either there to determine masks will help or it is not - why the hell should the school have to make the decision?

There are 3 secondary schools within a mile of my house - will they all have different rules? Better not let my lad go football training this weekend as kids from all 3 schools are in the squad so this whole bubble thing is bordering on pointless.
(08-26-2020, 09:52 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Well why use words like 'extreme viewpoint' - it isn't really is it? You seem to be paranoid that if you give an inch on any civil liberties, in this case the choice to wear a mask or not, then it won't be long before we are all chanting God Save Putin. The reality is that it is actually a reasonable idea whilst this virus is around, they're not going to become mandatory school uniforms.

It's remarkable how so many unreasonable restrictions on personal and corporate freedoms have suddenly become reasonable. I never thought Britons would sleepwalk into an authoritarian state.
And that is what will happen when you have a cabinet made up of populist morons where there should be politicians / ministers. They start from a position of listening to what their puppet masters say, who like Proth want freedom to do anything in life without restriction, consequence or responsibility as it is an infringement of their civil liberties. then when they realise that public opinion is different and can see that it isn't a bad idea after all they do a complete u-turn.

They will undoubtedly say they were following the science because they don't want any blame but in reality they are running the country by whichever way the wind blows.

However none of it matters because Boris is only here to see Brexit through then he will pack it in, stating medical reasons, and go off to the backbencher, a few NED positions and a weekly opinion piece in the Telegraph.

(08-26-2020, 12:34 PM)Protheroe Wrote:

It's remarkable how so many unreasonable restrictions on personal and corporate freedoms have suddenly become reasonable. I never thought Britons would sleepwalk into an authoritarian state.

Big Grin 
Next ID cards followed by our numbers tattooed on our forearms.
It’s almost like a one issue, elite, populist government with a dubious moral compass is a bit shit for the country! Who would have thought?!
(08-26-2020, 12:38 PM)baggy1 Wrote: then when they realise that public opinion is different

I don't know a single parent who wants their child wearing a mask in school, do you?
(08-26-2020, 01:23 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 12:38 PM)baggy1 Wrote: then when they realise that public opinion is different

I don't know a single parent who wants their child wearing a mask in school, do you?

Of course you don't  Rolleyes , I haven't asked but if mine were still at school I wouldn't really be bothered either way. I like the idea of the communal areas but in classrooms I can see it being a hinderance to the conversation / learning.

You do realise that it is only for communal areas, corridors etc and then only in regions that are under lockdown. And even if it was that they had to wear them all of the time what would be the problem - is this simply because they've been told to so you object?