Right wing comedy anyone?
Mock the Week, Have I got news for you and The Mash Report are all good viewing and well written comedy. Some laugh out loud moments in there - HIGNFY suffered with the 'work from home' format I thought but has been great viewing through the years.

Interestingly Geoff Norcott is being put up there as a 'right wing' comedian - I always saw his taking the piss out of the stereotype rather than being actually right wing. Either way (and there is probably a good point in that statement) he is funny.
(09-02-2020, 07:43 AM)Protheroe Wrote: It would be a start if the BBC broadcast comedy which was actually funny - particularly on Radio 4. People like Marcus Brigstocke and Steve Delaney have been stealing a living for years. I have no problem with satire that is biting and funny from whichever part of the political spectrum. Unfortunately the BBC doesn't do that either.

Surely this is just a matter of taste not a political issue - and in fairness you stressed you were not making a political point. 

No broadcaster is going to please all the people all of the time or more realistically any of the time. The acts you mentioned would not continue to be on the radio if they didn't have an audience and some fans.

On the wider issue i think it would be very difficult to be seen as a right wing comedian, i'm not sure what that would even look like. Most comedians are apolitical, it would be difficult to discern from their act what way they would vote. That includes many of the comedians that appear on programmes like Mock the Week and Have i got news for you - For example i'm sure i read somewhere that Milton Jones was a conservative but you would never get that from his comedy.
(09-02-2020, 09:19 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(09-02-2020, 07:43 AM)Protheroe Wrote: It would be a start if the BBC broadcast comedy which was actually funny - particularly on Radio 4. People like Marcus Brigstocke and Steve Delaney have been stealing a living for years. I have no problem with satire that is biting and funny from whichever part of the political spectrum. Unfortunately the BBC doesn't do that either.

Surely this is just a matter of taste not a political issue - and in fairness you stressed you were not making a political point. 

No broadcaster is going to please all the people all of the time or more realistically any of the time. The acts you mentioned would not continue to be on the radio if they didn't have an audience and some fans.

On the wider issue i think it would be very difficult to be seen as a right wing comedian, i'm not sure what that would even look like. Most comedians are apolitical, it would be difficult to discern from their act what way they would vote. That includes many of the comedians that appear on programmes like Mock the Week and Have i got news for you - For example i'm sure i read somewhere that Milton Jones was a conservative but you would never get that from his comedy.

Milton Jones radio show / sitcom is awful, it’ll be commissioned in the next few months I imagine Wink
(09-01-2020, 03:21 PM)baggy1 Wrote: It's just ridiculous - comedy is always aimed at those in power, fuck knows how they would have coped with Spitting Image at its peak. If they don't like having the piss taken out of them so much, don't be such a joke.

I seem to remember Spitting Image having Kinnock, Ashdown, and other Labour / Lib-Dem puppets. They took the piss out of everybody.

In general though, I think there is something to be said for more balance. Stand-up comedy has started to become very one-note, just constantly having a go at the Tories. Even somebody who started with an apolitical routine such as Kevin Bridges has had to resort to slagging off Johnson, Trump, et al. to keep getting work.

And that doesn't have to be a return to Manning / Davidson style comedy - that is out of place in society as a whole these days.

But when a show like Mock The Week will call Corbyn 'magic grandpa' and Boris a c**t, and then say that they're balanced, that seems ridiculous.
"I'm not a nerd Bart. Nerds are smart"
(09-02-2020, 12:11 PM)Fall Out Boy Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 03:21 PM)baggy1 Wrote: It's just ridiculous - comedy is always aimed at those in power, fuck knows how they would have coped with Spitting Image at its peak. If they don't like having the piss taken out of them so much, don't be such a joke.

I seem to remember Spitting Image having Kinnock, Ashdown, and other Labour / Lib-Dem puppets. They took the piss out of everybody.

In general though, I think there is something to be said for more balance. Stand-up comedy has started to become very one-note, just constantly having a go at the Tories. Even somebody who started with an apolitical routine such as Kevin Bridges has had to resort to slagging off Johnson, Trump, et al. to keep getting work.

And that doesn't have to be a return to Manning / Davidson style comedy - that is out of place in society as a whole these days.

But when a show like Mock The Week will call Corbyn 'magic grandpa' and Boris a c**t, and then say that they're balanced, that seems ridiculous.

Boris is a cunt - that is a statement of fact, not a joke. And in the 18 series and more than 300 episodes how many times have they referred to corbyn as 'magic grandpa'?
Instead of moaning perhaps some folk might consider why brexit/tories are such a common and easy target for satire, ridicule and condemnation. That would require a bit of critical thinking and self analysis though so I'm not holding my breath.
In answer to a couple of points; any government is an easy target for satire and any government would take the opportunity to be authoritarian if the opportunity presented itself.
(09-02-2020, 12:11 PM)Fall Out Boy Wrote:

You’re going to have to explain what redeeming features Trump and Johnson have that means we should show them deference comedically?
Satire through the ages, from Punch magazine and Hogarth's cartoons to TW3 and Spitting Image has taken the piss out of the incumbent government, regardless of what colour rosette they wear.

Is this just The BBC being frightened that The Tories will tear up their charter and stop the license fee or are they (The Tories) that thin-skinned that they can't take any criticism, whatsoever?
Right wing joke of the day...

“Tony Abbott is a homophobe and a misogynist”

Health Sec @MattHancock: “He’s also an expert on trade”

#KayBurley