First away game
Against Everton. 0-0 at Goodison Park for the FA Cup 4th Round game. I think it was January 1974. One of the first major matches to be played on a Sunday.
(09-05-2020, 08:20 AM)Peachy Wrote:
(09-05-2020, 08:06 AM)MrFizz Wrote: 10th Nov 1990 (yes 'that' season) at Notts County. Lost 4-3. I think we were 1-0 down, then equalised then 4-1 down and pulled a couple back. Shite season though obvs.

Don't remind me of that. The sale of Bartlett still haunts me. He was such an underrated player for us at the time. He was lightening quick and on his day was bloody good. 

He ran us ragged that day and scored twice and could of had a couple more. If that wasn't bad enough He then scored both their goals in the 2-2 at the shrine later than season.

If ever a player wanted to make a statement to his previous club letting him go Bartlett's was comprehensive......

Before the game i remember my dad predicting it would happen, and it did.
(09-05-2020, 10:37 AM)MrFizz Wrote:
(09-05-2020, 08:06 AM)MrFizz Wrote: 10th Nov 1990 (yes 'that' season) at Notts County. Lost 4-3. I think we were 1-0 down, then equalised then 4-1 down and pulled a couple back. Shite season though obvs.

Don't remind me of that. The sale of Bartlett still haunts me. He was such an underrated player for us at the time. He was lightening quick and on his day was bloody good. 

He ran us ragged that day and scored twice and could of had a couple more. If that wasn't bad enough He then scored both their goals in the 2-2 at the shrine later than season.

If ever a player wanted to make a statement to his previous club letting him go Bartlett's was comprehensive......

Was that game played in a monumental storm??

The bloke who fell asleep on the Football special cattle truck with a lit cig in his hand who caught fire is my abiding memory of that day, along with lots of rain
(09-05-2020, 10:38 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(09-05-2020, 10:37 AM)MrFizz Wrote:

Was that game played in a monumental storm??

If it did i didnt notice. I was in the seats under cover, rather than the open terrace away end!
(09-05-2020, 07:32 AM)MassDebater Wrote: I think mine was Leicester in the dark days (think it ended 0-0 and we got held in after and then some of our lot got the gate open and the Police kettled us in outside, before kettling was a thing), or it might have been Blues (if that counts, think we won 4-1 with Hopkins for us scoring?? On the super steep old terrace at Stan Drews, so probably this was before Leicester).

Most (oddly) memorable was Sheff Utd, ended 0-0 and my dad and I were gutted on the long drive back, but in the end that point kept us up.

**just looked it up, Blues away was 1988, so definitely my first, but so close to home it doesn't feel like an away game, not even 10,500 there! **

***Bloody 'ell my memory is shocking...Looks like the Leicester game was 1-1, I know it was a draw... so that must also have been in 1988, as the only 0-0 away was in the Anglo Italian, and I'm sure we'd not have bothered with that...So by virtue of Leicester being August and Blues in October, then Leicester was my first***

****I'll stop editing after this! So it turns out that the 0-0 Sheff Utd was also in 1988, but in April and part of 87-88 rather than the others being 88-89, so that was my first. We survived by 1 point that season so that bit was right. And until now I didn't realise it was actually Sheffield Utd that went down with 1 point less than us. ****

I didn't go to many, and until this I didn't realise I went to a few so close together, my memory had me thinking they were more spread out.

That 0-0 at SU was a huge relegation battle - so useful point in a dire game. A defeat would have left us bang in trouble. Dave Bassett ended up taking them down - but then got back to back promotions to get them into the top division
(09-05-2020, 10:40 AM)4-hero Wrote:

The bloke who fell asleep on the Football special cattle truck with a lit cig in his hand who caught fire is my abiding memory of that day, along with lots of rain

Ouch. Undecided
(09-05-2020, 10:53 AM)MrFizz Wrote:
(09-05-2020, 10:40 AM)4-hero Wrote:

Ouch. Undecided

Everyone saw it coming and instead of waking him up to alert him it was just a constant ‘wooooorrrrrr’ as if an opposition goalkeeper was about to take a goal kick, and then it was roars of laughter when his jumper went up in flames instead of any help.
First time I watched Albion at an away game was the 3-0 win at St Andrews about 1992ish I was about 10. My Bluenose uncles took me and we stood in the Kop.

First game as an actual away fan was the 2-0 Tony Rees defeat at Notts Co.
First away game for me was the 1-1 at the Molineux in the 98-99 season. The Keith Curle penalty miss game. Only ended up going after being goaded by a Wolves supporting co-worker for apparently being too scared to attend due to the potential lamping I might get from the subway army.