Observer Fans’ Preview
(09-06-2020, 06:22 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 05:36 PM)Bromley Baggie 2 Wrote: West Ham are a basket case. There's no morale there at the moment, they seem to be imploding and they have some tough games at the start of the season. No points from their first 6 games and it'll be curtains. Make no mistake, I can see us being down in the mix, but Fulham will struggle, as most teams that come up through the play-offs do, Vile scraped survival by the skin of their knackers and they've made no significant steps to remedy that and if Newcastle isn't sold, they could have problems, too.

I might have a cheeky fiver on Arsenal for the title. I have a feeling in my bones about them, this season.

You had me until Arsenal!

We will take some absolute beatings this season, but I do think we have enough to cause problems for teams around us.

Like you say WHU will be in the mix, as will 6-7 other teams.

Amazing to think if you beat Villa, Leeds, Fulham, West Ham, Sheff Utd, Burnley, Brighton, Palace, Saints and Newcastle at home, you’re pretty much safe with a couple draws here and there.

Beat half the teams in the league at home and you'll do alright, who'd have thought it  Big Grin
(09-07-2020, 11:03 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 06:22 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 05:36 PM)Bromley Baggie 2 Wrote: West Ham are a basket case. There's no morale there at the moment, they seem to be imploding and they have some tough games at the start of the season. No points from their first 6 games and it'll be curtains. Make no mistake, I can see us being down in the mix, but Fulham will struggle, as most teams that come up through the play-offs do, Vile scraped survival by the skin of their knackers and they've made no significant steps to remedy that and if Newcastle isn't sold, they could have problems, too.

I might have a cheeky fiver on Arsenal for the title. I have a feeling in my bones about them, this season.

You had me until Arsenal!

We will take some absolute beatings this season, but I do think we have enough to cause problems for teams around us.

Like you say WHU will be in the mix, as will 6-7 other teams.

Amazing to think if you beat Villa, Leeds, Fulham, West Ham, Sheff Utd, Burnley, Brighton, Palace, Saints and Newcastle at home, you’re pretty much safe with a couple draws here and there.

Beat half the teams in the league at home and you'll do alright, who'd have thought it  Big Grin

More a case of you play 38 games in a season, but realistically only 10-15 really matter - but yeah, makes sense Wink
(09-07-2020, 06:11 AM)SausEggBaton Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 05:05 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Can't see Roy taking Palace down. If he'd left I'd make them one of the favourites for sure.

Consider the easily videod and well documented implosion, after their Wolves game, and relegation form in restart, I don't think it matters one jot whether uncle roy is there.

They reached 40 points, job done & on the beach. i think they will start ok, and achieve 40 points again.
(09-07-2020, 08:56 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: I think Rich's assessment of our prospects this season was very fair.

That's not to say we will definitely get relegated, who knows how things will pan out once the season starts, or should be taken as being negative about the club. Promoted clubs are always at a disadvantage to other premiership clubs, and this season possibly more than usual, with the shortened summer break, the shorter season, meaning games will come thick and fast, and also the uncertain financial situation facing football.

But i do share his concerns about the spine of the team, think the goalkeeping situation is settled. And probably central defence, Kipre is an exciting signing and the type we should be looking to make - young players with bags of potential.

Midfield and the central striker cause me greater concern. I think with a consistent scorer at championship level last season we would have finished at least 10 points ahead of third place. We got away with it last season we won't get away with it this season.

With midfield i have no problems with any of the players we have, i just think we need at least 2 more players, Krov and and cover for Livermore. I think increasingly Livermore is a 60 minute player, we need a quality midfield player who can understudly Livermore. I think the  club may see that role for Harper, but i'm not sure that his best position (see him as more of an understudy for the Krov role) and i think he is perhaps still too inexperienced for what may be a crucial role this season.

Bring in 2 more for midfield and a forward capable of reaching double figures this season and i think we have done as well in this window as could be reasonably expected.

I think Field is a closer fit for Livermore than Harper. But agree with rest. Assuming Krov and Robinson come in, need a CF, DM and a LB, if I'm greedy.