Observer Fans’ Preview
Until the squad is finalised this guesswork is erm even more guesswork
(09-06-2020, 05:36 PM)Bromley Baggie 2 Wrote: West Ham are a basket case. There's no morale there at the moment, they seem to be imploding and they have some tough games at the start of the season. No points from their first 6 games and it'll be curtains. Make no mistake, I can see us being down in the mix, but Fulham will struggle, as most teams that come up through the play-offs do, Vile scraped survival by the skin of their knackers and they've made no significant steps to remedy that and if Newcastle isn't sold, they could have problems, too.

I might have a cheeky fiver on Arsenal for the title. I have a feeling in my bones about them, this season.

I don’t see Newcastle struggling to be honest, Bruce kept them up pretty comfortably last season and if they get the three players they’re linked with - Wilson, Lowe and Fraser, they should be better.

Arsenal?? Might as well give that fiver to me pal.
(09-06-2020, 05:36 PM)Bromley Baggie 2 Wrote: West Ham are a basket case. There's no morale there at the moment, they seem to be imploding and they have some tough games at the start of the season. No points from their first 6 games and it'll be curtains. Make no mistake, I can see us being down in the mix, but Fulham will struggle, as most teams that come up through the play-offs do, Vile scraped survival by the skin of their knackers and they've made no significant steps to remedy that and if Newcastle isn't sold, they could have problems, too.

I might have a cheeky fiver on Arsenal for the title. I have a feeling in my bones about them, this season.

You had me until Arsenal!

We will take some absolute beatings this season, but I do think we have enough to cause problems for teams around us.

Like you say WHU will be in the mix, as will 6-7 other teams.

Amazing to think if you beat Villa, Leeds, Fulham, West Ham, Sheff Utd, Burnley, Brighton, Palace, Saints and Newcastle at home, you’re pretty much safe with a couple draws here and there.
(09-06-2020, 01:00 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Unusually pessimistic from Rich. Think the keeper comment was before Button was announced, esoecially since on Twitter Rich backs Johnstone rather than tears him down.

Not saying anything he said is wrong, but do think people are reading too much into how we ended last season. We will sign a striker or two, we will probably sign a midfielder. Seems Robinson will come in place of Burke.

It'll be a hard season, but think we over estimate the teams we'll be competing against. Bilic will be the defining factor fir me, if he gets the team playing like the first half if last season, we stay up. If he can't, then we go down.

I had to send the words in 10 days ago and other than Pereira, we'd bought nobody so it was tough being anything but pessimistic at that stage. Friday changed it but only marginally and I adjusted us from 19th to 18th.

Getting a goalscorer in who will get a dozen goals could give us a chance but I still feel the spine isn't strong enough. 

As for Johnstone, I got really frustrated with his lack of command of the 6 yard box let alone 10 yards out that i feel needs to be commanded. This really needs to improve.

Overall, I think we are going to be short but we have invested well so far.
(09-06-2020, 07:38 PM)richbaggie Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 01:00 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Unusually pessimistic from Rich. Think the keeper comment was before Button was announced, esoecially since on Twitter Rich backs Johnstone rather than tears him down.

Not saying anything he said is wrong, but do think people are reading too much into how we ended last season. We will sign a striker or two, we will probably sign a midfielder. Seems Robinson will come in place of Burke.

It'll be a hard season, but think we over estimate the teams we'll be competing against. Bilic will be the defining factor fir me, if he gets the team playing like the first half if last season, we stay up. If he can't, then we go down.

I had to send the words in 10 days ago and other than Pereira, we'd bought nobody so it was tough being anything but pessimistic at that stage. Friday changed it but only marginally and I adjusted us from 19th to 18th.

Getting a goalscorer in who will get a dozen goals could give us a chance but I still feel the spine isn't strong enough. 

As for Johnstone, I got really frustrated with his lack of command of the 6 yard box let alone 10 yards out that i feel needs to be commanded. This really needs to improve.

Overall, I think we are going to be short but we have invested well so far.

Spot on Rich - Johnstone is a worry.

Strikers; Deeney, Grant, Woodrow? Someone mentioned Will Hughes but I'm not convinced at the asking price.
(09-06-2020, 05:05 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Can't see Roy taking Palace down. If he'd left I'd make them one of the favourites for sure.

Consider the easily videod and well documented implosion, after their Wolves game, and relegation form in restart, I don't think it matters one jot whether uncle roy is there.
(09-07-2020, 06:11 AM)SausEggBaton Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 05:05 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Can't see Roy taking Palace down. If he'd left I'd make them one of the favourites for sure.

Consider the easily videod and well documented implosion, after their Wolves game, and relegation form in restart, I don't think it matters one jot whether uncle roy is there.

By that logic no team should have a manager and form is permanent.
I think Rich's assessment of our prospects this season was very fair.

That's not to say we will definitely get relegated, who knows how things will pan out once the season starts, or should be taken as being negative about the club. Promoted clubs are always at a disadvantage to other premiership clubs, and this season possibly more than usual, with the shortened summer break, the shorter season, meaning games will come thick and fast, and also the uncertain financial situation facing football.

But i do share his concerns about the spine of the team, think the goalkeeping situation is settled. And probably central defence, Kipre is an exciting signing and the type we should be looking to make - young players with bags of potential.

Midfield and the central striker cause me greater concern. I think with a consistent scorer at championship level last season we would have finished at least 10 points ahead of third place. We got away with it last season we won't get away with it this season.

With midfield i have no problems with any of the players we have, i just think we need at least 2 more players, Krov and and cover for Livermore. I think increasingly Livermore is a 60 minute player, we need a quality midfield player who can understudly Livermore. I think the club may see that role for Harper, but i'm not sure that his best position (see him as more of an understudy for the Krov role) and i think he is perhaps still too inexperienced for what may be a crucial role this season.

Bring in 2 more for midfield and a forward capable of reaching double figures this season and i think we have done as well in this window as could be reasonably expected.
(09-07-2020, 08:56 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: I think Rich's assessment of our prospects this season was very fair.

That's not to say we will definitely get relegated, who knows how things will pan out once the season starts, or should be taken as being negative about the club. Promoted clubs are always at a disadvantage to other premiership clubs, and this season possibly more than usual, with the shortened summer break, the shorter season, meaning games will come thick and fast, and also the uncertain financial situation facing football.

But i do share his concerns about the spine of the team, think the goalkeeping situation is settled. And probably central defence, Kipre is an exciting signing and the type we should be looking to make - young players with bags of potential.

Midfield and the central striker cause me greater concern. I think with a consistent scorer at championship level last season we would have finished at least 10 points ahead of third place. We got away with it last season we won't get away with it this season.

With midfield i have no problems with any of the players we have, i just think we need at least 2 more players, Krov and and cover for Livermore. I think increasingly Livermore is a 60 minute player, we need a quality midfield player who can understudly Livermore. I think the  club may see that role for Harper, but i'm not sure that his best position (see him as more of an understudy for the Krov role) and i think he is perhaps still too inexperienced for what may be a crucial role this season.

Bring in 2 more for midfield and a forward capable of reaching double figures this season and i think we have done as well in this window as could be reasonably expected.

+1
Think it’s balanced and fair. 
10 days ago things were a lot more pessimistic, but we still have loads to do.
As it stands you can’t bet against us for anything other than relegation, but Robinson, Krov, 1 striker and 1 midfielder and we suddenly have a fighting chance.
(09-06-2020, 10:19 AM)Gzbaggy Wrote: I like the West Ham comment!

Big Grin  med me loff an all