Uncle Ben, gone.
To Watford?
Politically incorrectly branded since 1943. Jesus, that's a lot of upsetting people (please excuse the blasphemy)
(09-24-2020, 11:33 AM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 10:26 AM)Sliced Wrote: I mean the irony of saying WHY ARE YOU GETTING UPSET ABOUT THIS  is that someone obviously got upset enough initially to go to the effort of trying to get a company to change the little face on a pack of rice.

I don't think it's worthy of giving a toss about either way, it seems like a completely pointless change that's only effect is to get two groups of people to argue.

In all fairness, as someone has pointed out, there was a reason it was called 'Uncle' Ben's and if you look at earlier packaging it was even more overt. 

It doesn't bother you, I get it. To be honest, it doesn't bother me either, but I can see why people do object to it.

So in answer to the irony question - just because someone gets upset enough to change something, that doesn't equate to being equally upset to keep it (unless you really, really, really love the marketing!)

So I don't think there's any irony when someone asks why someone gets so upset about trying to keep it.

From my point of view, I wish all these things were done quietly. When they get in the news I get a nice spike of 'spicy' emails. But then, I suspect that's the intention of certain people.

I found irony in proclaiming people who almost certainly weren't upset as upset, when people being upset is what caused this change to be made in the first place.

I have to say being genuinely upset about it being changed is much more embarrassing than being by upset by the initial packaging. Completely agree with the last part.
I trust Ben's #RightOnRice is experiencing a sales spike in Moseley, where they care about such things.
Whatever next? Rebranding NWA to Persons of Colour with Attitude?
So who remembers the Robinson's Jam Golliwogs? We had a huge collection of those fellows, enamel badges and the little plaster figurines. No idea where they went.
They might as well called it Uncle Tom's Rice.