Disparity between premiership and EFL
At least Chelsea will fall short

(09-24-2020, 08:08 PM)TartanRug Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 07:34 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: is getting bigger all the time and i'm not sure it is very healthy for the long term future of english football.

There has got to be a question about how many EFL clubs will survive the current situation.

Is the game sustainable when the difference between playing for a premiership and a EFL club may be the difference between being a millionaire and playing football as a semi professional. That's some cliff edge.

There's also a humungous gap between the top few in the Prem and sides like us. The game is all about which clubs are lucky enough to attract the richest backer, the only way I could see it improving is if ALL prem clubs had backers with billions to invest at least it would be more even.

There are a few JPs and Redrows about mind. They tend to stabilise the approach but fuck the landing.
(09-24-2020, 07:34 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: is getting bigger all the time and i'm not sure it is very healthy for the long term future of english football.

There has got to be a question about how many EFL clubs will survive the current situation.

Is the game sustainable when the difference between playing for a premiership and a EFL club may be the difference between being a millionaire and playing football as a semi professional. That's some cliff edge.

There's also a humungous gap between the top few in the Prem and sides like us. The game is all about which clubs are lucky enough to attract the richest backer, the only way I could see it improving is if ALL prem clubs had backers with billions to invest at least it would be more even.

if ALL prem clubs had backers with billions to invest at least it would be more even

Or none.
 Be great if all investment was outlawed.
Sadly, that's no more likely. Nor realistic, I know..
The Top 6 buggering off to a super duper European league
 is my favourite solution.
(09-24-2020, 08:24 PM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote:

if ALL prem clubs had backers with billions to invest at least it would be more even

Or none.

The tv companies and revenue will go with them

Or none.

I'd agree with that. Clubs should spend what they earn. Failing that, a European Super League would work.
(09-24-2020, 07:52 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 07:48 PM)Babel Wrote: Prem 1 and 2 would spread some dosh.
Then three regional leagues with loads of derbies.
Five per cent levy on all contracts back to three regional leagues & further down

With the parachute distribution and its impact we are heading that way already. 

It would of course be more attractive for them to segment the two. Far more screening opportunities and no forgetting those sexy relegated Quashies unless they are super ugly and super shit, erm... like Quashie (he did say nice things about us though, so thanks for that Nige). 

But the 'new' Division 3 would need parachute from that. And then what happens below that. At least we don't gradually become Scotland because most of these teams are good and have more than 200 fans.

The problem with parachute payments is that they are intended to help a club pay for excessive overheads they have brought down with them to the Championship. But that is not what happens. Clubs have built pay cuts into contracts and also sell off some players. Look at Bournemouth. Widely reported that all players got a 50% pay cut but they also got 40m for Ake, 20m for Wilson and 18m for Ramsdale and still talk of another 15m / 20m for King. So big wages gone, nearly 100m in thru transfer fees and also 45m parachute payments. I think parachute payments should be means-tested and the money should ONLY be allowed to be used for paying bills they incurred while in the PL. The para payments should not be for buying the best players for the Championship
(09-24-2020, 09:25 PM)Begley Wrote:
Five per cent levy on all contracts back to three regional leagues & further down

It would of course be more attractive for them to segment the two. Far more screening opportunities and no forgetting those sexy relegated Quashies unless they are super ugly and super shit, erm... like Quashie (he did say nice things about us though, so thanks for that Nige). 

But the 'new' Division 3 would need parachute from that. And then what happens below that. At least we don't gradually become Scotland because most of these teams are good and have more than 200 fans.

The problem with parachute payments is that they are intended to help a club pay for excessive overheads they have brought down with them to the Championship. But that is not what happens. Clubs have built pay cuts into contracts and also sell off some players. Look at Bournemouth. Widely reported that all players got a 50% pay cut but they also got 40m for Ake, 20m for Wilson and 18m for Ramsdale and still talk of another 15m / 20m for King. So big wages gone, nearly 100m in thru transfer fees and also 45m parachute payments. I think parachute payments should be means-tested and the money should ONLY be allowed to be used for paying bills they incurred while in the PL. The para payments should not be for buying the best players for the Championship

As much as it might hurt us (or not under current ownership) I think this is entirely reasonable.

Similar to Jake on the night we beat QPR - my main emotion was not 'great lets have a go at a couple of cups and let the Prem know we're here!' 

I was just glad we've got the telly money to secure the future of the club and the Academy for a few more years, allowing us to keep the kids we want and potentially raise the economic fortunes of Sandwell etc

Fucking naive or what!
(09-24-2020, 11:54 PM)quintonbaggie Wrote:

As much as it might hurt us (or not under current ownership) I think this is entirely reasonable.

Similar to Jake on the night we beat QPR - my main emotion was not 'great lets have a go at a couple of cups and let the Prem know we're here!' 

I was just glad we've got the telly money to secure the future of the club and the Academy for a few more years, allowing us to keep the kids we want and potentially raise the economic fortunes of Sandwell etc

Fucking naive or what!

Obviously nobody cares about us, but the captain of a promotion-winning side rather than being elated, looking weak with relief because it means people won't lose their jobs, should have maybe been an indication that all isn't well in the world of football.

Many clubs are about to go out of business and the upper echelons of the PL and their unquestioning media lapdogs are behaving like Marie Antoinette. It doesn't sit well with me at all. Particularly with the screeching from our fans about why aren't we spending the same.
(09-24-2020, 08:27 PM)The liquidator Wrote:

Or none.

The tv companies and revenue will go with them
Yes I know. And I'd be fine with that.
It'd be back to real football for me.
A price worth paying?

(09-25-2020, 12:22 AM)Squid Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 11:54 PM)quintonbaggie Wrote:

Fucking naive or what!

Obviously nobody cares about us, but the captain of a promotion-winning side rather than being elated, looking weak with relief because it means people won't lose their jobs, should have maybe been an indication that all isn't well in the world of football.

Many clubs are about to go out of business and the upper echelons of the PL and their unquestioning media lapdogs are behaving like Marie Antoinette. It doesn't sit well with me at all. Particularly with the screeching from our fans about why aren't we spending the same.
Excellent point!
Tbf I've heard a bit of questioning about the disparity between PL fortune and clubs going down -R4 this week. Harry was on and agreed. But the tone was"the way of the world. Nothing anyone can do..." Then Spurs pay Bale a weekly wage which would save Bury.
(09-24-2020, 08:07 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 08:00 PM)MrFizz Wrote: Quickest way of narrowing the gap is for the 'big 5' to feck off to a permanent Euro League. The drop in TV revenue for those left will reduce the disparity.

+1

+ 2

If every top European league did the same, it should make football more equally across all those leagues. It's generally the same 3 or 4 sides that win the major competitions all across Europe. Sure, there's the odd exception, such as Leicester, but they're few and far between. I think salary caps should then be considered across all leagues, to help ensure that another 'top 6' isn't naturally created.
Has much really changed though pre 1992? How many different teams have won the division before 92 and after? Sure some biffs can tell me as i cant be arsed to google it