Disparity between premiership and EFL
(09-25-2020, 07:49 AM)Noibla Wrote: Has much really changed though pre 1992? How many different teams have won the division before 92 and after? Sure some biffs can tell me as i cant be arsed to google it

Someone did recently, and I don't think there was a huge difference.

But, that's not the whole story.

It's not about who wins the league, it's about the disparity in spending between teams and that too many matches in the PL look like training matches for wealthy teams.

Plus the amount of money being spent is obscene. Man City (who are the sports washing arm of a dictatorship) spending more on their back four than the defence budget of sovereign nations is very unsettling.
Any kind of league split, euro league or similar is just moving the same problem. Whatever the second league is, will always be poorer, and eventually the same problem will arise, and another split will be needed.

How about 6 up and 6 down? Spreads more chance of the second tier spreading wealth, but doesn't help with the top 6 issue. How about splitting the Prem into North and South, with play offs and a final to decide the title? Keep London away from Mancs and Pool, 2 leagues of 15, of course you then need to regionalise the rest so that promotion and relegation keeps the balance... 2 up and down from each, puts more in the top division, more chances for smaller clubs to come up too.
Fairly even TV rights, maybe slightly skewed north.

Or, just accept that it's too bloody late and the big boys got what they wanted when they forced the Prem on everyone else.

(09-25-2020, 08:12 AM)Squid Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 07:49 AM)Noibla Wrote: Has much really changed though pre 1992? How many different teams have won the division before 92 and after? Sure some biffs can tell me as i cant be arsed to google it

Someone did recently, and I don't think there was a huge difference.

But, that's not the whole story.

It's not about who wins the league, it's about the disparity in spending between teams and that too many matches in the PL look like training matches for wealthy teams.

Plus the amount of money being spent is obscene. Man City (who are the sports washing arm of a dictatorship) spending more on their back four than the defence budget of sovereign nations is very unsettling.

I did post some stuff as I was bored. Not much difference, just a different set of the same clubs.

You're right though, it's got bugger all to do with winning it. What's made it worse is all the extra euro cups and their expansion, along with the mega money club's get from them.
I read this recently, very related to this thread. It has some good stats in it tbf:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot...30431.html

In the preceding 30 years before the creation of the Premier League, 11 clubs won the title 

Liverpool, 13
Everton, 4
Arsenal, 3
Leeds, 3
Man U, 2
Derby, 2
Forest,
Ipswich
Man C
Seals 

Since the Prem 

Man U, 13
Chelsea, 4
Man City ,4 
Arsenal, 3
Blackburn
Leicester 
Liverpool

The overriding factor of success during both periods appears to be firstly the Fergie/Shankly dynasty factors (special mention for Cloughie/Wenger but not dirty leeds) and then foreign money piling in with the likes of City and Chelsea (Blackburn 1 off with Sir Jack) in the modern era, with the odd oddity - Foxes, Ipswich and Seals.
(09-25-2020, 12:22 PM)Hopalong Wrote:

In the preceding 30 years before the creation of the Premier League, 11 clubs won the title 

Liverpool, 13
Everton, 4
Arsenal, 3
Leeds, 3
Man U, 2
Derby, 2
Forest,
Ipswich
Man C
Seals 

Since the Prem 

Man U, 13
Chelsea, 4
Man City ,4 
Arsenal, 3
Blackburn
Leicester 
Liverpool

The overriding factor of success during both periods appears to be firstly the Fergie/Shankly dynasty factors (special mention for Cloughie/Wenger but not dirty leeds) and then foreign money piling in with the likes of City and Chelsea (Blackburn 1 off with Sir Jack) in the modern era, with the odd oddity - Foxes, Ipswich and Seals.

Interesting stats Hopalong. 

I wonder what the top 4 - 6 split would also look like in the same timeframes? I would expect there to be a much more diverse split in the pre Prem years, including us a couple of times. In the Prem years, with the odd exception, it's been the same top 4 - 6 in most seasons.

Liverpool, 13
Everton, 4
Arsenal, 3
Leeds, 3
Man U, 2
Derby, 2
Forest,
Ipswich
Man C
Seals 

Since the Prem 

Man U, 13
Chelsea, 4
Man City ,4 
Arsenal, 3
Blackburn
Leicester 
Liverpool

Top work ! My point being that has much really ever changed in regards to the difference between the 2 divisions. There has always been and always will be teams who are stronger , have more financial clout etc. Would be great if everybody started with the same " x " amount of money and wages capped so it was a level playing field
(09-25-2020, 08:52 AM)Narcosis Wrote: I read this recently, very related to this thread. It has some good stats in it tbf:

Absolutely brilliant article lost into this thread!
(09-25-2020, 12:38 PM)ElbowGrease1973 Wrote:

Liverpool, 13
Everton, 4
Arsenal, 3
Leeds, 3
Man U, 2
Derby, 2
Forest,
Ipswich
Man C
Spurs (forgot them!) 
Seals 

Since the Prem 

Man U, 13
Chelsea, 4
Man City ,4 
Arsenal, 3
Blackburn
Leicester 
Liverpool

I wonder what the top 4 - 6 split would also look like in the same timeframes? I would expect there to be a much more diverse split in the pre Prem years, including us a couple of times. In the Prem years, with the odd exception, it's been the same top 4 - 6 in most seasons.
(09-25-2020, 12:55 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 08:52 AM)Narcosis Wrote: I read this recently, very related to this thread. It has some good stats in it tbf:

Absolutely brilliant article lost into this thread!

Superb article.
(09-25-2020, 01:00 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 12:38 PM)ElbowGrease1973 Wrote:

Liverpool, 13
Everton, 4
Arsenal, 3
Leeds, 3
Man U, 2
Derby, 2
Forest,
Ipswich
Man C
Spurs (forgot them!) 
Seals 

Since the Prem 

Man U, 13
Chelsea, 4
Man City ,4 
Arsenal, 3
Blackburn
Leicester 
Liverpool

When I've completely lost the will to live I'll have a butchers  Smile