Most important documentary of modern times
Sorry to get on a soapbox folks and I thank Saus too for his input into this, but it's enrages me the way propaganda spread by a lack of safeguards on the net is destroying the fabric of society.
It's what has driven huge divisions and continues to do so. As a former journalist I recall talking to mates in the profession a decade ago about how hard it is to get to the truth and how it will be harder due to AI driven technology. Anyway, the most important documentary I've seen in years has finally been made in a form that makes it accessible to the majority. Saus mentioned it the other day and just want to say, if you have 90 minutes spare other than to watch a game this weekend, watch this. It'll, in all probability, make you question what is happening to us all and where we are heading. 
The Social Dilemma. Here's the trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaaC57tcci0
Is this only the trailer, Spandau??
Hmmm, guy complains about lies on the internet and promotes a Youtube video, trying to explain the lies?

That's the problem lad, one person's truth is another person's lies. David Icke's son's website more than doubled its subscribers during lockdown (I know as I was up for an interview to work on it and got told), all of them will be looking for their own truth that supports their own beliefs and in turn feeds into their version of the truth. We live in a World where people band together to promote the World being flat, FFS.

it's quite obvious that you'll find people who believe your video and people who won't, it's a catch 44 because it's twice as bad as a catch 22. The truth is suppressed by the mountain of lies, and even when the truth comes out, lots of people on the mount of lies will do their best to disprove it.

You can't win Wink

*edit* watched the trailer and it does look like stuff I've been saying for years.
Watched this the other night, interesting and agreed with much of it but towards the end I felt like it was a propaganda exercise.
The one thing that stood out for me on that trailer was the line 'The whole generation is more anxious, more depressed.....'

Was only talking to my 13 year old lad about this last night when he spoke about some of his friends having mental health issues. Maybe we were lacking awareness of such issues 30-40 years ago when I was growing up but there does seem to be a higher percentage of young people these days having problems. I do wonder how much of this is attributable to the 24 hour social platform society we now live with.
(09-25-2020, 09:36 AM)baggiebuckster Wrote: The one thing that stood out for me on that trailer was the line 'The whole generation is more anxious, more depressed.....'

Was only talking to my 13 year old lad about this last night when he spoke about some of his friends having mental health issues. Maybe we were lacking awareness of such issues 30-40 years ago when I was growing up but there does seem to be a higher percentage of young people these days having problems. I do wonder how much of this is attributable to the 24 hour social platform society we now live with.

The difference between now and then, isn't internet lies, it's that there is simply too much information, too much news and too much of everything. Growing up in the 70s and 80s we did not fear paedophiles, we didn't know what they were, we had stories about stranger danger and not taking sweets from strangers etc... Now, lots of parents are scared to let their kids go out when it's getting dark, because as we all now know, paedos live in every street and are just waiting for your kids to fall into their trap. We had the IRA, we knew they blew things up, and even growing up in Birmingham we didn't live in fear of them. Now we have Muslim bombers on every street, we have Eastern European / African / Middle Eastern Immigrant drug addict knifemen in every town (heck my dear old mom used to fret everytime I went up Brum for a night out)...

Little of this is to do with 'Socials' it's more to do with the 24/7 news machine needing to find things to report on, and on , and on about. That then gets replicated by Karens and SJWs on 'socials', because they feel compelled to remind everyone how bad and how dangerous things are.

Back in the 80s we had the threat of nuclear war, and Government ads telling us to pull doors off, paint them white and build in-house forts from them to keep us safe from the Ruskies. One of my younger sisters was petrified of nuclear war, the school had to speak to my mom about it, and at the time there were news reports saying she wasn't alone. She would have been about 10 -12 and was having nightmares and all sorts, she would cling onto my parents when the news came on, in case this was the one. And that has been magnified by how much 'news' is thrown at us from every angle. Yes, 'socials' make it worse, but the 'news' media is the real and main culprit of all this. Like with the current panic buying again.

That and we are simply more aware of mental health these days, schools even have teams dedicated to it, and so it is bought to the fore more these days, and so will naturally be more of a thing. It's like when you say I've not seen any Jaguar cars in ages, then all you seem to see are Jags.

Parents buying their kids 'social' devices are also to blame.
(09-25-2020, 09:36 AM)baggiebuckster Wrote: The one thing that stood out for me on that trailer was the line 'The whole generation is more anxious, more depressed.....'

Topic is too huge to comprehend as a whole, and has to be done in bite sized chunks. The perception of mental health problems is also an issue.
However, what bothers me more is the divisions that are being created. We see it at times on the politics platform here.
Also, the crass stupidity of people. For instance I saw a bloke on the Albion Facebook feed the other day going mad that there was a rumour that we were being linked with Adebayor! FFS.
Problem is people are looking in strange places for the news. It's the reason we have a nutjob like Trump in power in the States.
Regarding the documentary being propaganda, well you can be cyncial, we all are. However, fundamentally if you can't get behind people trying to quell disinformation and us being mined for data then I think it's sad.
Google knows more about us than we do and I'm consciously aware and it's why I don't do social media other than this dump.

(09-25-2020, 09:46 AM)MassDebater Wrote:

The difference between now and then, isn't internet lies, it's that there is simply too much information, too much news and too much of everything. Growing up in the 70s and 80s we did not fear paedophiles, we didn't know what they were, we had stories about stranger danger and not taking sweets from strangers etc... Now, lots of parents are scared to let their kids go out when it's getting dark, because as we all now know, paedos live in every street and are just waiting for your kids to fall into their trap.  We had the IRA, we knew they blew things up, and even growing up in Birmingham we didn't live in fear of them. Now we have Muslim bombers on every street, we have Eastern European / African / Middle Eastern Immigrant drug addict knifemen in every town (heck my dear old mom used to fret everytime I went up Brum for a night out)...

Little of this is to do with 'Socials' it's more to do with the 24/7 news machine needing to find things to report on, and on , and on about. That then gets replicated by Karens and SJWs on 'socials', because they feel compelled to remind everyone how bad and how dangerous things are.

Back in the 80s we had the threat of nuclear war, and Government ads telling us to pull doors off, paint them white and build in-house forts from them to keep us safe from the Ruskies. One of my younger sisters was petrified of nuclear war, the school had to speak to my mom about it, and at the time there were news reports saying she wasn't alone. She would have been about 10 -12 and was having nightmares and all sorts, she would cling onto my parents when the news came on, in case this was the one. And that has been magnified by how much 'news' is thrown at us from every angle. Yes, 'socials' make it worse, but the 'news' media is the real and main culprit of all this. Like with the current panic buying again.

That and we are simply more aware of mental health these days, schools even have teams dedicated to it, and so it is bought to the fore more these days, and so will naturally be more of a thing. It's like when you say I've not seen any Jaguar cars in ages, then all you seem to see are Jags.

Parents buying their kids 'social' devices are also to blame.

I can see why you are MassDebater. Good points you raise, but it's not just kids and news. Millions of adults are hooked on this. This documentary just scratches the surface, but it provokes a debate on today's ills.
(09-25-2020, 09:50 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:

Topic is too huge to comprehend as a whole, and has to be done in bite sized chunks. The perception of mental health problems is also an issue.
However, what bothers me more is the divisions that are being created. We see it at times on the politics platform here.
Also, the crass stupidity of people. For instance I saw a bloke on the Albion Facebook feed the other day going mad that there was a rumour that we were being linked with Adebayor! FFS.
Problem is people are looking in strange places for the news. It's the reason we have a nutjob like Trump in power in the States.
Regarding the documentary being propaganda, well you can be cyncial, we all are. However, fundamentally if you can't get behind people trying to quell disinformation and us being mined for data then I think it's sad.
Google knows more about us than we do and I'm consciously aware and it's why I don't do social media other than this dump.

Your internet provider knows more about you than you do too, and there's no coming online without that happening...

The problem with quelling disinformation is: who has the actual right and correct information and who has information that should be quelled? Who makes that decision and who is right to be able to make that decision?

Adebayor, FFS, we're in for Messi.
I watch the film /doc last night very thought provoking
as an old teacher once said to me , the most powerful tool
we possess is our mind , we are bombarded with so much
information these days our mind will switch to whatever
argument suits our belief/cause

The days of keeping an open mind have gone
I really fear for our young people even more so now
with all that's going on in the world.
America land of the free will be at war with it's self within 5 years.

Fuck me I wish I hand'nt watch it now !!!
Saying young people are more anxious now, IMO it's because nobody has feelings any more, nobody is sad or worried, everything is labelled as a mental health issue. It is not normal to feel happy all the time, it's ok to have ups and downs, but that's not the message young people are hearing.