Lest we forget...
That season was also my first (half) season ticket. I bought it because the only way you could get a ticket for wolves was if you were on the database. (Database! probably a notebook, then). My first home game after buying it was Woking. There were so many low points that season, the 0-0 at Swansea on the Friday when Bannister fell out with our fans and I got in about 3.30AM and had to go to work in 2 hours. The 2-2 at Molineaux and the concrete shower and the town after when many of our fans were bent on retribution, carnage. The last home against Newcastle (also in trouble at the wrong end of the table and who had the same average crowd as us, but they have probably forgotten that now). Goodman limped off after scoring, taking our survival hopes with him. It was fun, but I don't want to go back to those days!
Remember thinking after Goodmans late winner against Leicester that we'd be fine. Then we forgot how to score penalties against Port Vale.

Still, led to some of my happiest memories as a fan. Too many to mention them all but some stick out. Stoke home game with 30,000 there, Rotherham beach party, Swansea play-off game, Wembley.

Strangely enough i also remember being knocked out cold at Preston. Not by a local, but by a mis-directed shot during the warmup. I was stood halfway up the terrace (remember them kids?) talking to a mate. Just as i turned around an errant Mitre Delta thumped me plum on the kisser and down i went like a sack of spuds. I came round a few seconds later to my mates pissing themselves laughing. Cheers lads.
Some “great” memories in that lot, was at most the games mentioned and a good few years thereafter. The 2 3-0 losses at Stockport and Huddersfield were within days of each other.

I think the 5-1 loss at Stockport was a Friday night, Paul Williams came on and scored, then gave it the big ‘un in front of us. Kicked off outside that night. But then it seemed to kick off quite a bit in them days, I think partly the times and partly that we were billy big bollocks in that division. Remember going to Mansfield in 1992/923 and just taking over the pubs and then the ground, more Albion than home fans.

Football was shit for quality of play but great fun for someone in their late teens/early 20s out on the piss for away games.

To this day I can’t look at Bobby Gould, well not without humming “We don’t want you Bobby Gould” , “shave your eye brows” (Wycombe away in 2nd round of cup 93/4 or 94/5) and “We still hate you Bobby Gould”. And I do.
CA Baggie Wrote:Some “great” memories in that lot, was at most the games mentioned and a good few years thereafter.  The 2 3-0 losses at Stockport and Huddersfield were within days of each other.

I think the 5-1 loss at Stockport was a Friday night, Paul Williams came on and scored, then gave it the big ‘un in front of us.  Kicked off outside that night.  But then it seemed to kick off quite a bit in them days, I think partly the times and partly that we were billy big bollocks in that division.  Remember going to Mansfield in 1992/923 and just taking over the pubs and then the ground, more Albion than home fans.

Football was shit for quality of play but great fun for someone in their late teens/early 20s out on the piss for away games.

To this day I can’t look at Bobby Gould, well not without humming “We don’t want you Bobby Gould” , “shave your eye brows” (Wycombe away in 2nd round of cup 93/4 or 94/5) and “We still hate you Bobby Gould”.  And I do.
From my memory, that was when the Boing Boing chant took off. Definitely that season, I think it was Mansfield.
(09-29-2020, 10:04 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
CA Baggie Wrote:Some “great” memories in that lot, was at most the games mentioned and a good few years thereafter.  The 2 3-0 losses at Stockport and Huddersfield were within days of each other.

I think the 5-1 loss at Stockport was a Friday night, Paul Williams came on and scored, then gave it the big ‘un in front of us.  Kicked off outside that night.  But then it seemed to kick off quite a bit in them days, I think partly the times and partly that we were billy big bollocks in that division.  Remember going to Mansfield in 1992/923 and just taking over the pubs and then the ground, more Albion than home fans.

To this day I can’t look at Bobby Gould, well not without humming “We don’t want you Bobby Gould” , “shave your eye brows” (Wycombe away in 2nd round of cup 93/4 or 94/5) and “We still hate you Bobby Gould”.  And I do.
From my memory, that was when the Boing Boing chant took off. Definitely that season, I think it was Mansfield.

Preston away, the springy wooden floor boards earlier in the season definitely had “boing boing, sweaty bollocks” being chanted.  The boing referring to the springy floor nothing to do with bouncing back up the league.  Seemed to emanate from that.  Mansfield was too late in the season, it was already in full flow by then, PNE away was around the Nov/Dec before ‘92.

Some still claim it was to do with some Dutch house song, but I went to pretty much every game that season and along with all my mates we’d never heard that song.

“Carly Heggs has got long legs“ was definitely song at Mansfield though. I’m sure he scored that day.
(09-30-2020, 07:30 AM)CA Baggie Wrote:
(09-29-2020, 10:04 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
CA Baggie Wrote:Some “great” memories in that lot, was at most the games mentioned and a good few years thereafter.  The 2 3-0 losses at Stockport and Huddersfield were within days of each other.

Preston away, the springy wooden floor boards earlier in the season definitely had “boing boing, sweaty bollocks” being chanted.  The boing referring to the springy floor nothing to do with bouncing back up the league.  Seemed to emanate from that.  Mansfield was too late in the season, it was already in full flow by then, PNE away was around the Nov/Dec before ‘92.

Some still claim it was to do with some Dutch house song, but I went to pretty much every game that season and along with all my mates we’d never heard that song.

“Carly Heggs has got long legs“ was definitely song at Mansfield though. I’m sure he scored that day.

He did score. He and Super Bob also did that weird 'aeroplane-grab-each-others-ankles' celebration.
That Shrewsbury away game at the end of the season was absolute carnage all day. The football special on the way back tried to stop at Wolverhampton. Massive Police line screaming for the driver to speed up whilst loads of West Brom fans were trying to get at the Wolves fans. One of our best performances that season as well at that game
CA Baggie Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:

All football chants are taken from some pop tune or other. The Boing Boing chant was definitely taken from Poing by the Rotterdam Termination Source. Steve Wright played it quite a bit on Radio 1 as he saw it as a bit of a joke song.
Whenever we lose I try and console myself with the fact that some of my very best of times was when we lost pretty much every week.
Bristol Rovers away was the single most eventful away day ever (and I've had a few!!) From the trip down in the back of a trannie with about 15 other blokes, all on the ale, tickets for the away end, so got into the inevitable scrap, to dodging the coppers on the pitch and getting lost in the away end. Desolation and carnage after the game but, looking back it was pure madness and I miss it!!